Best Double Bass Drum Pedal

I argee with you on the DW 5000!! Bear with me!!! I started drumming with a Westbury Pedal I think (Circa 1978)??Then Got a Tama King Beat (Very smooth),Then Tried my feet at 2 double Ludwig SpeedKings(Very fast).I used those for years!!!Then I tried &still use a Iron Cobra Power Glide double pedal.Used that for awhile then tried a Pearl Demon my friend had but wasn't crazy about it?Then I played jam night where guy had the DW 5000 Double pedal set-up on the house kit.........I was I love!!!Now I'm looking for set to buy when funds come!!! Its just matter trying pedals & what matchs your style & makes it fun to play!!

I have just got few days ago the DW 3000 Double pedals. They cost me 250 euros and i got 15% off so it cost me i think 212 euros which is about 200 dollars. The pedals are really smooth and I like them, I can do fast little fills but I can play only few seconds with speed of 170bpm and I lose the speed. The pedals are heavy duty and I have used to lighter ones. Those are my first double pedals. Now I'm saving money for the Tama Iron Speed Cobras, I have heard a lot of good feedback and I want to play a bit faster.

My questions are... Do you have DW 3000 double pedals, and what do you think about them? Tell me your thoughts even if you have tried them. How fast you can play with them?

Love,

Me

The DW's have very heavy beaters. Try a lighter beater, like the Iron Cobra beaters or the Yamaha felt beaters. The 3000 is a good pedal for the money.

I second that. My first and only pedal is a dw 2002 (new, 149 Euros/reduced price). I thought I'd begin with a starter pedal (1 year of drumming). I have tested different pedals in the medium class, including direct drive pedals. They all have their pros and cons but the dw 2002 can do about the same. Before buying this pedal I looked for the 'world's fastest pedal', but obviously, there are several of them, depending on different manufacturer/user statements. I might 'upgrade' to a more fancy pedal, but not before I acquire significantly better (double) bass drum skills which is more a matter of practice than buying this or that pedal.

One pedal hasn't been mentioned yet (at least in this thread) - the Czarcie Kopyto (Devil's Hoof) from Poland:
http://czarciekopyto.com/index.php?lang=en

This pedal seems to be built to an extremely hi-end design, using the best components available and incorporating decent technology. I considered this pedal when I was in the market for my 1st double pedal (I'd like to have another double pedal to have 2 practice setups in different rooms at my home) but bought the dw 2002 instead, as a starter. Unfortunately, the Czarcie Kopyto pedal is distributed directly so there's no way to test it beforehand. This pedal is used by drummers like those with INFERNO and DIMMU BORGIR so it should be up to 300 bpm ;-) My dw 2002 has no direct drive but can do 270 bpm (heel-toe).

What do you think about DW 3000 Double pedal. I just got one for 250 euros. Now im thinking about something... I can do fast little fills with DW 3000 double pedal. Since it has very heavy beaters and when I get speed, I cant keep up the speed, I always lose it. I cant keep up 200bpm even 2 seconds. Does it have something to do with the pedal. Should I change the beaters. Can I/you get faster with 2002 or 3000?

What do you think about DW 3000 Double pedal. I just got one for 250 euros. Now im thinking about something... I can do fast little fills with DW 3000 double pedal. Since it has very heavy beaters and when I get speed, I cant keep up the speed, I always lose it. I cant keep up 200bpm even 2 seconds. Does it have something to do with the pedal. Should I change the beaters. Can I/you get faster with 2002 or 3000?
Hey, that's an older post of mine ;-)

Well I practice double bass a lot but I don't have much experience with various pedals. I checked some of them out briefly at the store, and a few at the Musikmesse Frankfurt. At the Musikmesse I gave the whole dw range a try, but very quickly. And as I was used to my dw 2002 pedal EVERY other dw pedal up to the 9000 range seemed a bit strange to my feet - maybe because of a different spring tension, also I think the more expensive dw pedals are overbuilt/too heavy (which doesn't necessarily make them "slow", they're just too massive IMO). So I'm fine with the 2002 I have. (But I haven't forgotten the Czarcie Kopyto... They're still on my wishing list... for some later time.)

Don't worry about the speed! Just take a deep breath, try to keep encouraged to practice, and try staying patient. The speed will come. So 2002 or 3000... I don't know for sure but what difference should there be? It's your feet! BTW, 200 is not that fast... Any pedal can handle this. It might be a difference at higher speed to get 5-10 bpm more max speed on one pedal because a specific player's feet might "like" that pedal more, but in the 200 bpm range... don't worry, any pedal is "good".

Now as you have a 3000 - great! Just take the time to let your feet fully adapt to your pedal, experiment with the setting (I think a medium spring tension is a good starting point, and any technique will work with this). The rest is (disciplined) practice and patience/time.

As I said in another thread - the dw beaters are heavy, that's true - but I'm taking this as a challenge (to make your practice harder and let your feet get accustomed to heavy beaters). If I can do good speed with them then switching to lighter beaters might mean going even faster.

I'd say the best pedal is anything under $300.

To me there is no point in all the hype and 50 adjustments for feel.

There is no magic pedal that will make you play faster or better. The performance of the pedal is truly in your foot.

I don't play a Ludwig Speed King nor do I really like the feel but I've heard people play things with that pedal that I would have thought to be impossible. Point being it's not the pedal it's the player.

Hey, that's an older post of mine ;-)

Well I practice double bass a lot but I don't have much experience with various pedals. I checked some of them out briefly at the store, and a few at the Musikmesse Frankfurt. At the Musikmesse I gave the whole dw range a try, but very quickly. And as I was used to my dw 2002 pedal EVERY other dw pedal up to the 9000 range seemed a bit strange to my feet - maybe because of a different spring tension, also I think the more expensive dw pedals are overbuilt/too heavy (which doesn't necessarily make them "slow", they're just too massive IMO). So I'm fine with the 2002 I have. (But I haven't forgotten the Czarcie Kopyto... They're still on my wishing list... for some later time.)

Don't worry about the speed! Just take a deep breath, try to keep encouraged to practice, and try staying patient. The speed will come. So 2002 or 3000... I don't know for sure but what difference should there be? It's your feet! BTW, 200 is not that fast... Any pedal can handle this. It might be a difference at higher speed to get 5-10 bpm more max speed on one pedal because a specific player's feet might "like" that pedal more, but in the 200 bpm range... don't worry, any pedal is "good".

Now as you have a 3000 - great! Just take the time to let your feet fully adapt to your pedal, experiment with the setting (I think a medium spring tension is a good starting point, and any technique will work with this). The rest is (disciplined) practice and patience/time.

As I said in another thread - the dw beaters are heavy, that's true - but I'm taking this as a challenge (to make your practice harder and let your feet get accustomed to heavy beaters). If I can do good speed with them then switching to lighter beaters might mean going even faster.

Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it. But I have one more question, is it better to have double-chain or single-chain pedal? What the differences are?

Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it. But I have one more question, is it better to have double-chain or single-chain pedal? What the differences are?
I can't really comment on that, having no real experience with double-chain pedals. Other members might chime in on this. (There is info on single vs. double chain on this forum somewhere...)

My thought is: "Technically" double chain should be better but I'm sure this translates into real world playing feel to a small degree, no big difference. The pedal should run slightly smoother and might be more durable. Typically the slightly higher production cost results in a noticeably higher price tag. For my next pedal I think I wouldn't care for single or double chain but go the direct drive route.

I have both the single and double chain version of DW's 5000 series pedal, and I would say the double chain has a more solid feel from foot board to beater assembly. There is also less chance of having a breakage with two chains. It is stronger.

Ive tried most brands - DW/Gibralter/Axis/Sonor/Pearl and lastly Trick. Unequivocally, I say the Trick Bigfoot is far and away the best double pedal made.

F

So for the past 10 years, I've used the same double pedal; Ascend single chain drive. It has been falling apart and I've been mending it for quite some time, just your typical poor drummer!

I am in the market for something new. I've heard it all but my big question is I'm looking for something affordable, obviously. I'm looking for something solid, smooth, and quick response. Do I go with a single chain, double chain, or direct drive?

Thanks guys.

Hey everyone! Newby here. Been playing bout 30 yrs. Been playing vintage ludwig 1980 series with 24s with original speed king pedals for 10 yrs. Played with many other brands, but i just like the feel of the speed kings. looking to finaly upgrade. Gonna buy a new pair of speed kings. Its the player that makes the pedal, not the pedal making the player:)

It's neat seeing all the pedals that are liked. So many brands and each pedal seems to work well for the individual using them. Of all the pedals I've used since 1975 I think the Tama Speed Cobra is by far the best pedal I've ever played. Quick, smooth, long, and just plain feels great.

I have 9000 dw double pedals, 5000 series double pedals, and 7000 series. The 7000 series double pedals have been replaced by the 3000 series, but anyway... I think the 7000 series which are double chain and very adjustable, just put the amazing lightweight hardcore beaters on and they have power and will fly like 5000's. I recommend checking the 7000 or 3000 series (I believe they are the same).

Best overall pedal - Pearl Eliminators. Adjustable, affordable, possess plenty of power/fluidity.

I'd ordered the DW 3002 double kick pedal ($265.00 CDN Tax Included) and received it the other day and am so glad I did...For under $300.00 I have an incredible double pedal which has the speed, power and strength of pedals at twice the cost...DW has done remarkable job with these pedals...Thank you DW...I also have DW 5000 & 3000 single pedals which are great gear acquisitions....

I have just got few days ago the DW 3000 Double pedals. They cost me 250 euros and i got 15% off so it cost me i think 212 euros which is about 200 dollars. The pedals are really smooth and I like them, I can do fast little fills but I can play only few seconds with speed of 170bpm and I lose the speed.

My questions are... Do you have DW 3000 double pedals, and what do you think about them? Tell me your thoughts even if you have tried them. How fast you can play with them?

Love,

Me

The DW's have very heavy beaters. Try a lighter beater, like the Iron Cobra beaters or the Yamaha felt beaters. The 3000 is a good pedal for the money.

I too have the 3000's and paid the same as you dRummmm. Yes the beaters are like playing with cinder blocks as beaters. I have a quick foot even for a relatively intermediate drummer and I get frustrated when trying to do quick doubles or triplets because I know "at least I think so lol" that these beaters and/or pedals are holding me back. I'm telling you I can feel the twitch in my foot wanting to do doubles and triplets and cant because these beaters are holding me back. If I change out the beaters, which I will be doing soon (have had these pedals for 8 months) and it doesn't get better I am going to feel pretty dumb for paying $200 for DW pedals that have ended up hindering my fun and progress. Although I look at it on a bright side as well. For the time that I have had these I have sort of gave my right AND left leg/foot a work out. So considering how well I can play with the current heavy setup, I can only imagine how well I could flow with either lighter beaters or new pedals. Which I too am looking at the Speed Cobras.

Exactly, I said the same thing above. I sort of see it as weight training for my legs and feet lmao!

I have 9000 dw double pedals, 5000 series double pedals, and 7000 series. The 7000 series double pedals have been replaced by the 3000 series, but anyway... I think the 7000 series which are double chain and very adjustable, just put the amazing lightweight hardcore beaters on and they have power and will fly like 5000's. I recommend checking the 7000 or 3000 series (I believe they are the same).

I really, really, really, REALLY hope you're right! I plan to either get red wood beaters, the Tama IC beaters, or a Gibraltar light weight beater. Gonna see what's instock at GC when I go and then if they don't have anything I'll just make a decision and order something. All your posts about the heavy beaters holding this pedal's potential back give me a lot of hope!! Thanks!

Back