Joey Jordison

Zildjian 242 said:
I have never been a fan of slipknot mainly because I am not in to heavy metal music (tool and pantera is as heavy i can take)

Joey is very overrated. Sure he is living the dream of playing drums for the rest of his life and thats cool. He just got lucky and became in a popular band (same with barker)

Joey is not my style of music so Im not going to bash on him becasue i really never hered much of him. But from what i did hear he is not to impressive, nothing to other rock drummers like, Bonzo, Portnoy, Carey
i don't think he "just got lucky". i think joey and travis put a lot of work into their drumming and their respective bands put a lot of work into their music and created something that people like.

Zildjian 242 said:
He just got lucky and became in a popular band (same with barker)

That is not entirley true, Joey plays a very major role in the band, and is one of the major factors that the band are so poular, he doesn't just play the drums, he writes the majority of the material aswell. I'll agree with you to a certain extent that he is overatted a little, i personally think that Travis barker is way more overatted than Joey, i don't see the point in getting overely aggressive about defending my favourite drummer. (that's not implying that anyone else is btw)

metalheadeza666 said:
That is not entirley true, Joey plays a very major role in the band, and is one of the major factors that the band are so poular, he doesn't just play the drums, he writes the majority of the material aswell. I'll agree with you to a certain extent that he is overatted a little, i personally think that Travis barker is way more overatted than Joey, i don't see the point in getting overely aggressive about defending my favourite drummer. (that's not implying that anyone else is btw)

Slipknot is not my style, he's dong better then me so cant be mad at him. He is in a popular mainstream band. And created an image for himself. I do know his double bass speed is not all him, he uses triggers to make himself look fast

I just think he's not as skilled as some other metal drummers (Danny Carey, Vinnie Paul for example)

Zildjian 242 said:
Slipknot is not my style, he's dong better then me so cant be mad at him. He is in a popular mainstream band. And created an image for himself. I do know his double bass speed is not all him, he uses triggers to make himself look fast

I just think he's not as skilled as some other metal drummers (Danny Carey, Vinnie Paul for example)

as far as i am told, triggers does not make you sound faster?.. it make your drums sound louder, with less power from you.. so u dont have to hit them so hard. :)

infernal drummer said:
as far as i am told, triggers does not make you sound faster?.. it make your drums sound louder, with less power from you.. so u dont have to hit them so hard. :)

which in turn probably makes you play faster. i guess

averypoordrummer said:
which in turn probably makes you play faster. i guess

i fail to see how? u still have to move your feet and arms.. and if you cant do it fast enough before, how could you do it with just more volume? anywho. im only quoting what ive read, you could be right. i just dont know how it would go faster :)

Colin said:
Eh, Joey's not that great. I saw his solo on that DVD... it got boring after the first minute. All it was was double bass and rolls. All crowd-pleasers.

are u crazy! listen carefully and u will hear a bunch of cymbal stuff. and other stuff its actuall relly complicated

pearl drummer92 said:
are u crazy! listen carefully and u will hear a bunch of cymbal stuff. and other stuff its actuall relly complicated

No I just wasn't that impressed either. I think he makes his best statement within Slipknot, as a drummer that is. I can't stand Slipknot, but he's a good drummer. Just that solo isn't the best performance I've ever seen, it was a crowd pleaser, not much else.

Mediocrefunkybeat said:
No I just wasn't that impressed either. I think he makes his best statement within Slipknot, as a drummer that is. I can't stand Slipknot, but he's a good drummer. Just that solo isn't the best performance I've ever seen, it was a crowd pleaser, not much else.

You cant stand Slipknot, and that has anything to do with Joey Jordison. They would be glad not to have you as a fan, looking at that ugly head of yours :p!!!

That solo is whatever someone interprets it to be. We all have our dreams and goals, so you really make the decision of whether you like it or not. However, obviously it takes a lot of talent to pull that, and for people that say it doesnt, id like to see you do it!

kornslipknot said:
That solo is whatever someone interprets it to be. We all have our dreams and goals, so you really make the decision of whether you like it or not. However, obviously it takes a lot of talent to pull that, and for people that say it doesnt, id like to see you do it!

I'd argue it would take quite a bit of practice to play that solo. Talent would vary that amount of practice, but it's certainly not a prerequisite to play like that. You need talent to be somebody like Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd etc, but if you just want to play genre staples with good power and speed then it's really all just practice.

Ok.. I have actually dedicated a bit of time recently paying attention to Joey's work.

First off... on the Disasterpieces DVD.. his solo sucked. The reason I say that is... he can play much better than what he did. I agree that it was all just crowd pleasing... especially to those who are not drummers. It was kinda sad to see nothing but double bass, snare/tom rolls and some cymbal crashes. Plus.. it was kind of sloppy. (Granted, he was on a moving drum riser). I have watched that solo atleast 100 times. And, I find myself fast forwarding through it, or... watching the VIP section instead.

Joey is a really great drummer. He backs Slipknot perfectly. Slipknot is not a band for everyone. Some like it, some dont. Personally.. I'm nearing 30 years old, and I love them. I just love music that makes you want to literally jump.

Joey impresses me greatly. He never used to... but.. that was due to my lack of desire to give him due attention previously.

Something that I really enjoy.. is the way Corey (Lead Singer) and Joey play off of eachother in vocal arrangement and beats. Thats pretty killer.

All in all, Joey is a grade A drummer, that IS and WILL BE an influence on the younger generation of drummers. When it comes to thrash/metal... I'm really excited to see the next generation of Joey's that are comming up.

So... if your 555 then I'm................

kornslipknot said:
You cant stand Slipknot, and that has anything to do with Joey Jordison. They would be glad not to have you as a fan, looking at that ugly head of yours :p!!!

We'll leave my face out of this for that. It's a post-modern pose... an anti-pose if you will. Heh.

I can't stand Slipknot, no, but I can appreciate the work that goes into it. That's the difference. I understand that Joey is a good drummer (I would argue he's good, not great, but good). I never said I could do it, but in all honesty that kind of musical 'statement' is literally an exercise in practice. With enough practice, I'm sure quite a lot of people could play it. It's just a matter of sitting there for hours with a pad each day and a double pedal. Speed comes with practice and technique, but making music is an entirely different kettle of fish all together.

Mediocrefunkybeat said:
We'll leave my face out of this for that. It's a post-modern pose... an anti-pose if you will. Heh.

I can't stand Slipknot, no, but I can appreciate the work that goes into it. That's the difference. I understand that Joey is a good drummer (I would argue he's good, not great, but good). I never said I could do it, but in all honesty that kind of musical 'statement' is literally an exercise in practice. With enough practice, I'm sure quite a lot of people could play it. It's just a matter of sitting there for hours with a pad each day and a double pedal. Speed comes with practice and technique, but making music is an entirely different kettle of fish all together.

I dont think it would take him much practice to do that. Everyone has their own style type thing when it comes to a drum solo. I can do one myself thats an asortment of all the techniques that iv learned through my playing. Everyone has something skillful that they play to people when they get on the drums. So what im saying is that Joey's solo is his thing, so therefore it wouldnt be that difficult for him to perform it. However, if he or any player were to try and learne someone elses solo, it would take hours of practice. You are good at what you play.

joeys is just a grat drummer...he has his own style and ways of doing things! every drummer is different..im diofferent from other drummers..we all are! we can all do suming tht maybe sum1else cant

my style is built from Joey, traivs smith (trivium), dave lombardo(slayer), deathmetal drummers (they r all pretty similar) justin foley (KSE) Dave pirkis (my teacher)

but joey may of had his own influences etc

so stop wid all the "he is rubbish blah blah" cos hes a talented man whos worked hard 2 get where he is

I love joey's playing and the solo on disasterpiece... And the solo is just a crowd pleaser? ehh you're on a stage in front of thousands of fans. To please your the crowd is what you get paid for.. the hole point of a concert. So of course its a crowd pleaser. But it also awsome playing:D \m/OoO

MagnZ said:
I love joey's playing and the solo on disasterpiece... And the solo is just a crowd pleaser? ehh you're on a stage in front of thousands of fans. To please your the crowd is what you get paid for.. the hole point of a concert. So of course its a crowd pleaser. But it also awsome playing:D \m/OoO

I see Peart in Bonzo in concert in front of maybe more people, and not do stick twirls and tosses. Peart does a few, but the only ones in the solo are at the end [Picturing R-30]. Ive never seen Bonzo flip his stick either. And the whole point of a concert? I think the whole point of the concert is to play music. Just pointing out somethings.

I've never been in to death metal, but I so respect their drummers. I'm really not to crazy on Jordison, but I still think hes got some talent.

I agree with you.. Off course the hole point of a concert is the music. But a concert with musicians that just stands straigt up an down and playing music is one thing, but a complete different thing is to see a band that gets the crowd going and make an awsome stage show and is still playing the music. Wich is what SlipKnot does.
But Rush and SlipKnot is two different bands and the fans are different too and enjoys different things. To put it in a different way: Toto was playing in Oslo and of course I was there. Steve asked every musicians in the hall to raise there hands. I coudn't see anything but hands. And I think it's the same with Rush. A nine minutt drum solo live is funny for a musician, but not for anyone who's not a musician. The same with Joey's solo, but if he ads a 90 degree drum platform to it I think just about evert fan would go nut. Get my point?

yes, people call Joeys disasterpieces solo a crowd pleaser, maybe that was the whole point of the solo, sure there must have musicians in the crowd, but the majority would have been just straight up Slipknot fans who would have been going beserk at the fact that Joey was going really fast and he was almost upside down, who wouldn't?

Back