Which drum mics should i get?

joshthedrumkid97

Hi everyone,

I really want to start making recordings of me drumming, and make drum covers on youtube. I need some microphones though. I want to buy a pack with a snare, bass, 2 overheads, and either 2 or 3 for the toms. I'm thinking about getting an Audix DP7 kit but do you guys have any other suggestions?

Hi everyone,

I really want to start making recordings of me drumming, and make drum covers on youtube. I need some microphones though. I want to buy a pack with a snare, bass, 2 overheads, and either 2 or 3 for the toms. I'm thinking about getting an Audix DP7 kit but do you guys have any other suggestions?
This! gets my vote (I have the DP7). You can get good recordings with less budget, too, but the DP7 is a well thought out drum-specific set (but can be used for many other applications, too). If you can afford it (buying used is another option), do it.

Maybe the weaker point of the DP7 kit are the overheads - they are ok but I have other mics for overheads - another pair of small condensers, and 2 pairs of big condenser mics. The Shure SM57 is a great overall mic and works for snare, toms and even bass drum. The Sennheiser MD421 and MD441 are used on toms a lot. Oktava MK-012 would be affordable overheads (small condensers).

This! gets my vote (I have the DP7). You can get good recordings with less budget, too, but the DP7 is a well thought out drum-specific set (but can be used for many other applications, too). If you can afford it (buying used is another option), do it.

Maybe the weaker point of the DP7 kit are the overheads - they are ok but I have other mics for overheads - another pair of small condensers, and 2 pairs of big condenser mics. The Shure SM57 is a great overall mic and works for snare, toms and even bass drum. The Sennheiser MD421 and MD441 are used on toms a lot. Oktava MK-012 would be affordable overheads (small condensers).

Thanks for your help arky

I also have the DP7 kit and they have worked out great for both live and recording purposes. I disagree with Arky about the overheads in this kit, though. The ADX-51's that come with the DP7 kit are very good mics and do an awesome job as overheads. I often put one over the kit and close mic the hats with the other one. I always use the -10 dB pad and bass roll-off filter when doing this.
The D6 is pretty much the industry standard for kick mics. All of the D series mics are pre eq'd and don't need to be messed with too much at the mixing board.
The I5 does an excellent job on snare drum. One of my guitarists uses one for his cab. It's basically a much more durable version of a Shure SM57.
The D2 and D4 tom mics do an excellent job. The D4 could be used on a kick drum in a pinch. Funny since I've seen Stanton Moore use a D6 on his floor tom.
This set of mics is a good investment. They're worth every bit of $899. I managed to put my set together piece by piece off ebay for about $550 with cables.

I use a Audix D6 on the kick, and Seismic Audio SA-M20 (shure 57 copy) it performs exactly like the shure for half the price. On the toms I use Shure PG56's and Audix F15 overheads.

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/Dynamic-Uni-Directional-Microphone-p/sa-m20.htm

One of our sound guys has a few of the SA-M20's that you speak of. They are just like SM57's. My only problem is that plastic top. They won't endure getting hit with a drumstick very many times. I know your not supposed to hit them but it does happen. LOL! Other than that, they are fine mics.

One of our sound guys has a few of the SA-M20's that you speak of. They are just like SM57's. My only problem is that plastic top. They won't endure getting hit with a drumstick very many times. I know your not supposed to hit them but it does happen. LOL! Other than that, they are fine mics.

I am a sound guy as well as a drummer. If your hitting mic's I'd say it's your playing or bad mic placement. On my drumhead wear I have about a 3" circle in the center of every drum where I hit. I never really hear drummers on here talk about that kind of control when it comes to hitting consistently. Whether it be a Shure 57 or Seismic Audio mic..it's plastic you hit it, it might break. The sound of those mic's you will never be able to tell them apart.

I use mic's that were referred to me by other soundmen. It's was more a price thing when it comes to other people using your mic's. If one were to break a Seismic mic it would be much cheaper to replace than a shure.

I am a sound guy as well as a drummer. If your hitting mic's I'd say it's your playing or bad mic placement. On my drumhead wear I have about a 3" circle in the center of every drum where I hit. I never really hear drummers on here talk about that kind of control when it comes to hitting consistently. Whether it be a Shure 57 or Seismic Audio mic..it's plastic you hit it, it might break. The sound of those mic's you will never be able to tell them apart.

I use mic's that were referred to me by other soundmen. It's was more a price thing when it comes to other people using your mic's. If one were to break a Seismic mic it would be much cheaper to replace than a shure.

I get the same ring on my snare heads only slighlty left of center. I like the way it sounds right there. Like I said regarding mics, I know you're not supposed to hit them but it does happen. I've seen many a 57 with the plastic part taped on or missing entirely. I was just bringing that up as something to consider. I'm certainly not putting the 57 or the M20 down. My feeling is that the Audix I5 would never break in the first place therefore you'd never have to replace it.

I bought a pair of overhead mics yesterday : Joe Meek 27PAC, I've been told they were really great for the price (about $300).
www.joemeek.com
So I just use this pair of overhead mics plus a bass-drum mic, for now. Maybe I'll invest in snare & toms mics, but then I will also need to have a new mixer as well, and getting a balance will be more difficult I guess.
Here's my first test, I'm pretty happy with the overall sound. I played along the drumless version of Chameleon from the Fingerpainting album by Christian McBride.
Listen

I have an audix d6 and 2 sm57's. The d6 is awesome and I can get a pretty good sound using an sm57 as an overhead. Sadly I'm only using an mbox with pro tools (only 2 mic inputs) but when I'm recording jams with myself and guitarist friend I put one sm57 over my kit and one near his amp and it def does a nice job.

Back