Travis Barker

It really irritates me when people, especially youngions who have no knowledge of drummin, say that Barker is the best drummer. I mean cmon, it's alright to have an opinion and all, but when I try to introduce these people to truly great drummers, they shut them out and focus on whatever is "hip". There'es nothing great about his solos at all really, he just has really fast chops. Just my two cents.

ok, i agree. Well im just anoyed that sooo many (mostly teens) dont give credit where credit is do. Yea this guy is a good drummer dont get me wrong BUT he is not the most musically smart one out there. My personal opinion is that you dont give someone the title "one of the best" unless they have created they're own distinct sound. And unfortunatly Travis does'nt sound a whole lot different than most. There are so many under appreciated drummers out there to give credit to.

rendezvous_drummer said:
There'es nothing great about his solos at all really, he just has really fast chops. Just my two cents.

i'll back you up on that one, anyone go to his drummerworld profile and watch all the vids of him, and try and tell anyone here that they arn't exactly the same! lol

To be honest i like Travis Barker. I enjoy Blink 182 even though they can hardly string a guitar line together but hey they're catchy! Im 13 and have only started drumming and although i like him, he is nothing special. I have heard many better, like Buddy Rich, Mike Portnoy, Steve Gadd etc. but you can't say he has no skills, otherwise he wouldnt be where he is today.

it would be cool if there was discussion about him, like his gear, and just wats going on with him at the moment, i think the arguement over him being overrated has been exhausted.

im going to start but askin does any1 know what cymbals hes using with plus 44? in the 'when your heart stops beating' video it looked like a Zildjian 'K' series ride he was using. ne views?

I think he uses K's.
I really like the video and the song. His drumming is nothing special, and his kit is amazing.

drummerboy147 said:
To be honest i like Travis Barker. I enjoy Blink 182 even though they can hardly string a guitar line together but hey they're catchy! Im 13 and have only started drumming and although i like him, he is nothing special. I have heard many better, like Buddy Rich, Mike Portnoy, Steve Gadd etc. but you can't say he has no skills, otherwise he wouldnt be where he is today.

Very well said, no grounds for idolising him, no grounds for bashing him. It's very easy to dismiss Travis, and the level of skill in his chops that he has attained , purely because the band he plays in is so rubbish and forgettable. That said, there's no denying he comes up with good parts and executes chop very skilfully. I dare say that he's a better drummer than anyone who's posted a bash on this thread. He's paid his dues to the greats and shedded like the best of them.
Definitely a good drummer to transcribe, this helps put into perspective exactly how involved some of his parts are.

rendezvous_drummer said:
It really irritates me when people, especially youngions who have no knowledge of drummin, say that Barker is the best drummer.

Rendezvous, I agree to some extent but I also remember being fifteen and thinking that Lars Ulrich was "the best drummer ever" and all I ever wanted to do was play like him. Idolizing a drummer like Travis Barker is only bad if it doesn't help you grow to appreciate other musicians, and types of music.

My interest in music and drumming didn't start with Metallica, but the Black album was a catalyst in my life. I remember listening to that cassette tape over and over (along with Bel Biv Devoe and Body Count) while mowing lawns during the summer. I fantasized about meeting the band and I remember what it felt like to have people challenge my opinion when I said they were my favorite band in the world. It's hard not to get riled when someone you revere is attacked by people who "just don't understand". My love of drumming evolved in a direction that lead me to jazz and afro-cuban drumming and percussion, but I will never deny that once I idolized someone to this extent. It's important to have role models in life, and as we grow we will always evolve our taste to include other role models.

So to all you kids who feel slighted or attacked by folks who just don't get it. Believe me we've all been there before. So keep listening to this guy if you love him, it's important for your growth as a drummer to stay inspired by who you feel is the greatest.

He just broke his arm.

It seems like any man who hooks up with Paris Hilton ends up with pain and suffering.

That woman must be stopped.

Stitch Kaboodle said:
Let's face it: Travis is today's Ringo.
Whats wrong with ringo? Ringo may not be rippin out any insae solos, but he is still a legend in drumming IMO.

as Bernhard would say...

"never bash Ringo." ( i still dont know what that means, but its a good saying ).

Well, perhaps you could enlighten us and precise exactly what stylistic elements you think those two drummers have in common.

DUDES!? Has anyone heard the news that Travis may have a tumour in his arm bone? Get well soon Travis...

Back