Thomas Lang

Went to a Thomas Lang Clinic last night..

And dear god, I nearly wept. What an experience.

To be honest, I was never a big Lang fan to begin with, but I still thought he was a fantastic drummer (Who doesn't?) and plus a mate of mine, who offered to drive, is Lang nut. Luckily, we got there pretty early, and managed to second row seats right in the middle, in a crowd of about 350+. First on was a man on his home turf, Dewie Young who played with his band, and he was fantastic. His band had a great jazzy/funk/fusion-y feel, and were all very accomplished musicians considering there wasn't a patch of facial hair in the bunch. Young grooved really hard and had some very tasty licks.

Next up was the winner of Mike Dolbear's 'Young Drummer Of the Year' award for 2006 James Birt. James played a short solo and along to some tracks of his. Great player, busting out some 32nd notes up and down toms. But as you would expect from a recognised young player, it was all a bit of a chops display, which isn't really my bag. Cool all the same, his Black Panther snare nearly destroyed my ears though.

Finally, was the cyborg himself, sporting a denim, sleeveless, fleece-lined jacket (?!) and some wrap-around shades, he was off. Starting with three newly composed tracks by himself, from the new DVD. All three were insane, it was almost hard to follow, so much going on. All three were some near metal/industrial type music, with some unexpectedly matched million pedal ostinato stuff. Thomas then went on to perform a solo for the best part of an hour - and he absolutely shredded that custom Designer X-Ray. I had no idea he was such an animal, he thrashes his cymbals, obviously not without technique, but it was one hell of an exciting display. His control over his limbs is unbelievable, until you see it in person. There were so many moments that just left my jaw on the ground, the most memorable for me, was one groove where he played doubles at some ridiculous speed between his left hand on a piccolo snare and left foot on a 'floor' marching snare. He then went on to do some 8th patterns with his right hand on some x-hats, and then added a backbeat with his right foot doing some patterns on his main kick, while the left was still going.

Post one (of two) standing ovation(s), he answered a few questions. The usual cropped up, he talked about his influences, and then of course the immortal question, 'Mr Lang..what about your foot technique?' and he was off, for about half an hour discussing it, great stuff. Now short of time, Thomas played 2 more songs, one up tempo metal number (blast beats and everything) and one 'schnappy' layered groove number, aptly named 'Layer Cake'. And that was it, he left the stage humbly and everyone just cheered/screamed in awe.

I certainly left that building a huge Lang fan. While I considered most his playing a little too mechanical for my ears on video or record, watching him live is a completely different story. His controlled power and ability just made the room explode. I have never seen anything like it, he is amazing in the truest sense of the word. I couldn't justify his playing here, I can only urge you to go along to see one of his clinics. Overall, it was one of the best I have ever been to, down to his amazing display of independence (Definitely not human), technique, speed, power and great character when it came to teaching.

The best moment of the evening, however, was during the Q&A - where some guy asked (Lang is pretty ripped..but you would be too, with his practice regime) 'How much do you bench?'

Thomas replied 'I don't bench, I'm just genetically blessed.'

*Pictures to come, hopefully..

Re: Went to a Thomas Lang Clinic last night..

Great, I am glad you had a good time. I only watched his video so far, I liked it it was pretty cool.

His DVD is like that, I had a buddy watch it with me, we laughed for about half of it just because; I'm sure you know the feeling. I love the term cyborg, fits him perfectly. He is certainly one of the best! Please put some pictures up, I'd love to see them...

Z

I saw him awhile ago a little after his first DVD came out, and you're right, there's a HUGE difference between what you see on the tv screen, and what you experience live. My ex-fiance (be strong-not gonna cry) and I got there early and got a seat about 10 feet from the kit. The crowd was small, I'd guess about 50 people, so there was more intimacy in the relationship between performer and audience (laugh at that if you want but you know what I mean). After the clinic he hung out with everyone, signed autographs, took pictures, all the usual stuff. Even took a few minutes to talk to me about the business. I got a pic, its on my wishlist page.

All in all, very good show, great performer.
Can't wait for the next DVD.

I'll try and get some pictures soon, I forgot my camera..can you believe that? So they'll be from my friends 2mp phone camera.

I believe he did signing after the show, but i'd rather not wait that long for just a signature. Rather meet him in a less crowded environment.

i feel ya. lang is the man.

there seems to be a coalition of drummers out there who diss him at every turn, saying he's too this or too that, but i say it's jealousy.

the guy is incredible and clearly a shedhead.

my first exposure to him was at a modern drummer festival. no one knew who he was, but by the time he ended, the entire room was on its feet. everyone was blown away. i was sitting with some pretty heavy players, and they also conceded his major talent.

it don't hurt that he makes good eye candy, too.

Thats awesome, I'd love to see him live. He is literaly amazing at times, just unbelievable

WOW, very good thread. I'm not a big Lang fan but I'll try to become a fan ASAP hahaha! That guy has the most important charasteristic of a musician... he's humble and that's good enough for me. I know his a monster player, I love his technique and the way he explains stuff.

I saw him 2 years ago in Maine. I was blown away with his playing about 2 minutes into the clinic.

And after listening to him explain his technique and watch him tackle multiple time signatures at once, My Brain ached.

The guy was amazing, and humble too.

smoggrocks said:
it don't hurt that he makes good eye candy, too.

Lang's was the only drum DVD that my fiance would gladly watch with me. I would be drooling at the drumming and she would be drooling at his arms. As a result we watched that DVD quite a bit.
This may sound kind of freakish, but you know how some couples might watch an adult movie to liven up the mood a bit... That's all I'm going to say, use your imagination. HA

One time I had on the Steve Smith DVD, and she came home from work and saw it. He had that killer Hawaiian shirt on and spoke in that gentle if not dainty way of his. Her comment was: "I bet he'd be fun to go shopping with." How observant, I thought.

djp132 said:
One time I had on the Steve Smith DVD, and she came home from work and saw it. He had that killer Hawaiian shirt on and spoke in that gentle if not dainty way of his. Her comment was: "I bet he'd be fun to go shopping with." How observant, I thought.

That is awesome.

After meeting him in person, I'm not sure. But still, funny as hell to think about. He is human anyway(I think) and he must go shopping sometimes.

Geez i really want to see him now in a clinic. That "how much do you bench" part mustve been pretty funny. I cant wait until he comes into D.C.

Lang is Swedish, Ja?
I saw him do a workshop in July, and I concur with everything Topcat has said. The guy is a nut, and tv/dvd/etc just does not do him justice. He played that "Layer Cake" song as well, damn I wish I had something even barely resembling his level of coordination and independence. We also heard a few of his "I don't need to work out" type comments. He's a pretty funny guy, I'll give him that, but he certainly is not human.

Biz

firstly lang is austrian, secondly i went to see him a week ago in clinic and he was amazing.

we got in and the young drummer of the year played, great drummer, you described him brilliantly, the overall solo's did nothing realy for me but i could still apreatiate him.
Lang on the other hand blew me away, im not a fan of the whole metal thing but he does it so well a total one minded "i hate metal drumming" person would have to appreatiate it. His indipendance and amazingly technical playing is not shown fully on the clips on this site, you literaly have to see and hear him with your own eyes and ears to believe it!
im so glad i went, i never loved his playing as much as i should have before i saw him in the flesh, and muscle of which there is alot!

best quotes from the night....thomas was explaining to the ordiance that drumming is very competative but its not all, im better at playing fast chops and awesome solo style one bar fills that dont go with the music, and he happend to say even if it was such a race...."even if it was like that, id win anyway"

the next was a drunk guy from the ordiance asked him how long hed been playing, and he replied something along the lines of thirty years, and added that he started at five.....the drunk then shouted in awe and stupidity...."YOUR FIFTY!?!?!?!"

Watching Thomas Lang play, for me, builds up two feelings: inspiration and self-hatred. I mean, how does somebody get that good? Just looking at him play, it's the face of discipline.

Rumour has it that Lang's performance at the MD fest this year turned a few heads, and will do so even more when the DVD comes out. Bye bye Terminator, hello musician or something of the sort. I'm sure Jeff will explain further when he gets around to it, he was there...

Yeah - the fact he performed with a percussionist at the festival is unique for Thomas......cant wait to see the performance. By the way did anyone download the first of the two videos Roland had on their site of Thomas playing the electric drums - if so can you email it to me.

Cheers,
Steve

Back