Zoom Q3HD

jodgey4

Silver Member
Just got a Zoom Q3HD, I'm very impressed so far. I've been moving around lots of stuff lately, so I don't really have a kit set up right now, but I did take a video right after I got it, and a few minutes of a gig I played.
To those of y'all who have one of these cameras, what gain setting do you use? Auto, or high? Also, any tips on positioning it for the best sound? I have a tripod I use. First time, it was about 5 feet from the kit in front, about chest height (sitting). Somewhere I heard that it sounded good about that distance and pretty high up facing down. I don't have much time to experiment, nor do I want to, haha.
I most likely won't be posting any videos, maybe just audio though at some point when I can get a kit set up again...

Mic setting needs to be LOW. I use an E-kit plugged directly from the module to the Line In of the camera so it may be different for A-kit use.
I would still probably say Low setting however as the camera has major issues with clipping between the high end frequencies (cymbals) and low end ones (bass drum) and if you're banging away in an enclosed space, Auto and High settings will most likely cause the audio to clip anyway.

I use the low setting when recording the kit with it. If you use the Auto setting, the level goes all over the place because it's compensating for any louds and softs.

The kit itself in a controlled environment you need to experiment. If you use low, or hi, you're going to have to adjust the volume.

I use AUTO all the time, it works the best for me.

I just did a test video. It's definitely going to be LOW gain for personal practice, high was awful, and auto was unresponsive, but pretty good. I probably shoulda done that before I bothered y'all, but I found some extra time today. Yay me.
Any tips on placement?

I ended up placing mine in the crook of an amp handle sitting on top of a shelf to my left. After much stuffing around and repositioning the amp I finally had it so myself and the entire kit was in the shot.
The best part being I now just have to place the camera in the handle and I know I'll get the angle I want (without having to make adjustments).
Of course this makes for a boring video with the same angle each time- possibly time to experiment a bit...
BTW- did you spring for the accessory kit with the camera?

From where it's at, everything sounds great expect the floor, which with the humidity is lower and fuller than usual right now, but sounds bad on camera...?. I'm set up with my back against a wall, so placing it behind might be a problem. I might grab a friend and have him move the camera around and record while I play.
NO accessory kit, but I have a nice tripod.

From where it's at, everything sounds great expect the floor, which with the humidity is lower and fuller than usual right now, but sounds bad on camera...?. I'm set up with my back against a wall, so placing it behind might be a problem. I might grab a friend and have him move the camera around and record while I play.
NO accessory kit, but I have a nice tripod.
Tripod will obviously help when filming by yourself (when friends not available).
As for power issues though I would either get yourself a re-chargable battery set or buy the Zoom power lead for the camera (cause this baby flattens regular batteries real fast)!

I tried buying a Q3 online at an Australian store (trying to help our balance of payments, I guess). As it turned out, they ran out of stock and offered me a Q2HD.

Does anyone know the difference between the Q2HD and the Q3 and the Q3HD, and which is the best unit?

Ta in advance.

I tried buying a Q3 online at an Australian store (trying to help our balance of payments, I guess). As it turned out, they ran out of stock and offered me a Q2HD.

Does anyone know the difference between the Q2HD and the Q3 and the Q3HD, and which is the best unit?

Ta in advance.

I would say get the Q2, tho one thing it doesn't have is onboard editing like the Q3 HD, you have to use their handy share program like the original (non HD) Q3.

Q2 has HDMI out, an extra mic (3 in all) a better lens, 3 lighting settings (one for low light), live streaming, and it can be used as a USB microphone and its only $200 USD

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 276
  • Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    265.4 KB · Views: 280
As for power issues though I would either get yourself a re-chargable battery set or buy the Zoom power lead for the camera (cause this baby flattens regular batteries real fast)!
I've noticed that. I missed recording two thirds of a recent event due to dead batteries. I'll check around my extra electronic stuff for a workable adapter, or order one. Good suggestions.
I chose the Q3HD over the Q2HD because the mics are a bit nicer to my ears, and I don't care about USB microphone, streaming, or better video. I do wish it had more gain options, but Low works pretty dang well.

I missed recording two thirds of a recent event due to dead batteries. I'll check around my extra electronic stuff for a workable adapter, or order one.

The AC power wart is about $20 UDS at B&H the cheapest I've found.

Tho at a gig you'll need to find AC, which could mean a long extension cord and placement issues (people stepping/tripping on the cord).

IMO rechargeable batteries work best in the Q3, just make sure you go to the menu setting and select Ni-Mh, if you use rechargeables in the ALKALINE setting they'll burn in a third of their useful time.

The ENERGIZER RAPID CHARGER is the shizzle also, it'll juice 4 dead cells in 18 minutes, comes with a car charger cord too. Shop around, I got one at WalMart for $33 USD

That Energizer charger is the way to go. I found it cheaper to buy the accessory pack on ebay just to have everything you could possibly need on hand (came on the slow boat from China but all works well)!

Back