Slowing down YouTube videos

newoldie

Silver Member
In prepping for some covers for an upcoming gig, I found a few decent cover videos where I thought the drummers were playing close to the studio version of the song.
But their movements were too fast for me to visually decipher and watching at full speed over and over again was cumbersome.

I found this site pasted below, which allows you to just type in the URL and watch a slower version at 1/4, 1/2 and faster speeds (if you're a speed demon). You watch the slower video on the site itself so no toggling tabs or downloading software.

In particular, while trying to figure out some parts of Duran's Rio, I found a cover video that showed both the bass drum/drum set action, and by using YouTubeslow I had the luxury of watching the drum strikes in pretty clear form at 1/2 speed. This helped me nail down some of the trickier parts I missed in just watching it full speed.

http://www.youtubeslow.com/

If you use Google Chrome, that functionality is imply built-in. Click on the "Setting" icon (looks like a gear) in the lower right of the video and you can select from a variety of faster and slower speeds:

Attachments

• googYout.png
    googYout.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 381
In particular, while trying to figure out some parts of Duran's Rio, I found a cover video that showed both the bass drum/drum set action, and by using YouTubeslow I had the luxury of watching the drum strikes in pretty clear form at 1/2 speed. This helped me nail down some of the trickier parts I missed in just watching it full speed.

http://www.youtubeslow.com/

Alternatively, you can simply request to use the html5 player which is how chrome gets the feature.

https://www.youtube.com/html5

If you use Google Chrome, that functionality is imply built-in. Click on the "Setting" icon (looks like a gear) in the lower right of the video and you can select from a variety of faster and slower speeds:

Holly cow.

How come I didn't know this was right there in front of me this entire time!!!

Thank you.

*feeling old*

This is great- thanks, Bob!
Much quicker than typing in the YouTube site on slowdown's site.

Another option is to download Transcribe. I know you said you wanted to avoid downloading software, but it's a great program that I use a lot.

You can download the video from YouTube with KeepVid or a similar site and open it with Transcribe.

The advantages to this method are A) you are not limited to 50% or 25% on the speed. You can go anywhere between 1% and 200%. And B) you can work on your project when you're not online.

Also, Transcribe allows you to loop portions of the file and also export. I often loop an 8 bar phrase to practice over and over again.

Another option is to download Transcribe. I know you said you wanted to avoid downloading software, but it's a great program that I use a lot.

You can download the video from YouTube with KeepVid or a similar site and open it with Transcribe.

The advantages to this method are A) you are not limited to 50% or 25% on the speed. You can go anywhere between 1% and 200%. And B) you can work on your project when you're not online.

Also, Transcribe allows you to loop portions of the file and also export. I often loop an 8 bar phrase to practice over and over again.

RE Transcribe, have you tried out/or is that similar to Audacity (which is free)?

I use VLC; works like a champ.
Please elaborate details about this Acronym, VLC- is it a player, how do you use it for your transcribing or music interpretation, etc.? Does it have a slow down feature different from YouTube's?
What features do you like so much about it?

RE Transcribe, have you tried out/or is that similar to Audacity (which is free)?

I am familiar with Audacity but have never tried it. Transcribe is only 20 bucks, and then you get all the new versions for free forever. I bought it 10 years ago. It's just made by one guy. I can't say for sure that Audacity does all the same stuff as Transcribe, but I think it has most of, if not all, of the same features.

Back