2010 Football World Cup-South Africa

Well, I get the feeling I must have misunderstood you in the first place, so I apologize for false accusations, and since I still don't fully understand, I just simply deleted my previous 2 posts and let it go :).

Edit: I think you're a good guy, too, so whatever I read into your post before wouldn't have matched your general posting content anyway.

Re: 2010 World Cup-South Africa

Matt, I work with a gentleman who comes from the Congo. Very nice guy, period. But when it comes to soccer( football), he can't wait to preach from the roof tops to all of us how great it is and pure it is blah, blah, blah. My point is, I don't tell anyone about the sports I like or explain how they are the best etc. And it seems to me like most non-americans can't wait to take that angle and I don't understand why. It's like why bother?.

Naw man, look at the American who started the garbage on this very thread. The Americans on this forum don't like him either :D You can't compare the rest of us to him any more than I can compare all arrogant Europeans to the vast majority I know are good open minded guys.But if you're on the other side of it I would suppose he looks like he's speaking for all Americans when we all know he really isn't.

Xenophobic Americans irritate us just like they irritate Europeans. They certainly don't represent the mainstream, and I do realize that guys like me are often going to be guilty by association.

However, it is also fair to say that America phobias really do exist with the sports issue almost always being the entry point. This is especially true when it comes to this American football discussion which to a lot of us is peculiar, especially when the ones who misunderstand try to compare the synchronized violence of that game to rugby. I understand both sports very well and they're simply 2 different things.

It seems that basketball is the only American sport that has gained world wide appeal. In fact it is now #2 of everything. But I can see why for many reasons.

But I think it's obvious just from this that both cultures engage in this.

Well, I get the feeling I must have misunderstood you in the first place, so I apologize for false accusations, and since I still don't fully understand, I just simply deleted my previous 2 posts and let it go :).

Edit: I think you're a good guy, too, so whatever I read into your post before wouldn't have matched your general posting content anyway.
Thank you so much for this. No prob at all. I will also eliminate my replies immediately.
See Tommy. Read and learn.

Last edited:
Bah, the Portugal-match was pretty disappointing. Hope Brazil - North Korea is better.

Baseball has universal appeal. They do after all have a little league world series where countless countries have appeared over the years. It just seems as they get older they tend to stray from the sport and only the very best end up playing as adults. But trying to get major baseball into the rest of the world is like trying to get soccer into the US.

The first round of the WC is normally a buzz but it's been boring this year. I blame those rotten horns which appear to be distracting teams and preventing them from hearing their calls - plus you don't hear crowd singing or roars so there's no atmosphere. I suspect the idea is to give African teams an advantage, since they are used to the killer bee noises.

Apparently there's something wrong with the balls they're using too. Very close to having early nights instead ...

Yeah , it's been massive fail thus far. Here's hoping that Brazil do something vaguely watchable tonight, although it wouldn't surprise me if they defended for a goalless draw :)

.... look at the American who started the garbage on this very thread.
See Tommy. Read and learn.

I don't think Tommy is gonna read anything more. I don't think Tommy is gonna learn anything more. Alak.....poor Tommy ... he fought the law ... and the law won.

Big dilemma coming up saturday: Netherlands v/s Japan on SatTV with a glass of Napa Valley Robert Pecota Merlot,1995 OR a Frederick Keys home game with the greatest corndog on the planet....

Big dilemma coming up saturday: Netherlands v/s Japan on SatTV with a glass of Napa Valley Robert Pecota Merlot,1995 OR a Frederick Keys home game with the greatest corndog on the planet....
Abe,. forget the football, the wine gets the vote every time!

Oh, agree with Matt (read rare, wink), he's an American guy making a real effort to appreciate something that he has no natural affinity for. I can't remember how many times I've been hanging out with my US buddies in a sports bar. I've always been made very welcome, and I've really tried to get off on the local vibe, even though I don't much care for any ball sports, including "football" (there ya go Bernhard).

I don't think Tommy is gonna read anything more. I don't think Tommy is gonna learn anything more. Alak.....poor Tommy ... he fought the law ... and the law won.

The Clash, just put that song into our set, for all the 40 somethings, and they love it after a few beers.

Anyways ENGLAND is playing on Friday night, hope all you Yanks will be cheering the Brits on (GD).

Abe,. forget the football, the wine gets the vote every time!

Andy, I've grown up a Giant & Yankee fan, and pretty much a playing field junkie... Gimme any kind of ball. ( when I was young )

My love affair with football started in Rome, 2006. I was there in an open plaza watching a Jumbo-tron showing the Italy/South Korea match.
I was there with my brother and his Korean wife and 3000 screaming Italians.

Korea won.

The plaza went eerily silent. My sis in law squealed with joyful delight. Hers was a lone voice that cut the silence like a knife, as 6,000 pair of Italian eyes turned to stare at us.

I have never been so scared in my whole life.

The story has a happy ending with lots of vino, prosciutto & melon and friendly banter at a local bar with some teary eyed Italians.

I love World Cup Football.

Now that was a very good goal by the Brasillians, how the hell did that go in at such an accute angle.

Go on The Brazilian white socks,

I love football too!

It flows in the whole family vein, I grew up playing "football" in primary and high-school before drumming. Played defender (right-middle-left) and mid-fielder positions.

Football = Drumming = Passion.

I love World Cup Football....

That's the magic pocket of South American football.

Now that was a very good goal by the Brasillians, how the hell did that go in at such an accute angle.

Go on The Brazilian white socks,

My love affair with football started in Rome, 2006. I was there in an open plaza watching a Jumbo-tron showing the Italy/South Korea match.
I was there with my brother and his Korean wife and 3000 screaming Italians.

Korea won.

The plaza went eerily silent. My sis in law squealed with joyful delight. Hers was a lone voice that cut the silence like a knife, as 6,000 pair of Italian eyes turned to stare at us.

I have never been so scared in my whole life.

The story has a happy ending with lots of vino, prosciutto & melon and friendly banter at a local bar with some teary eyed Italians.

I love World Cup Football..

Nice story, haha :)!

The greatest game for me is FOOTBALL. Why by any means somebody started to call it childish "Soccer"? No wonder there is no future for it in the USA. Please stop that rubbish.

There they have a rubgy-like game, where 99% outside the US can't understand the rules - called American-Football. Best is: they even use the hands to play it (lol!!) which is strongly forbidden in real Football of course. Only the Goalkeeper is allowed to use hands - but in American Football they even don't have a goalkeeper and also the Goals are wide open...Also the ball is not round, seems damaged...it's seems, they just don't get it...

Ok, good thing is there are the "Rolling Stones"playing at the half time sometimes - nice.

Bernhard

Sorry Bernhard, soccer can't claim ownership to the term football, and it has always been called soccer - this argument over the use of the broad term football is only a recent thing - I think it may have been drummed up by soccer supporters.... ?? If you want the original football you should watch Aussie Rules - a game that is more than 20,000 years old.

Gridiron is certainly not "rugby like" in any way - it is a game unto itself with timeouts / substitutions / set plays etc. Rugby codes (somewhat like soccer) stay within the 80 minute timeframe and only have a "timeout" if an injured player happens to be in the way of the play. The "out of round" ball actually adds to the skill level required.

And I think Mr Maradonna defined that the use of the hand is allowed in soccer. Maybe the soccer rule allowing the goalie to touch the ball with his hands should be changed? wa wa wa waaaaaaa

We could debate this for years I'm sure :)

Sorry If you want the original football you should watch Aussie Rules - a game that is more than 20,000 years old.

You're out by a couple of years here Herc.......The game was originally invented by cricketers in order to keep fit in the winter months in 1856. The first club (Melbourne) was established in 1859.....with the first set of rules being drafted that same year.

The amateur VFL was established in 1877...and the VFL (remember when, hey!!), the pre-cursor to today's AFL, was established in 1896.

You're out by a couple of years here Herc.......The game was originally invented by cricketers in order to keep fit in the winter months in 1856. The first club (Melbourne) was established in 1859.....with the first set of rules being drafted that same year.

The amateur VFL was established in 1877...and the VFL (remember when, hey!!), the pre-cursor to today's AFL, was established in 1896.

Hi P-f-o-g,

Nar, that's the modern incarnation of the game - the real Aussie rules has been played here by the Aborigines for millenia - there are cave paintings of them playing it that have been dated to around 20K years ago. We're just newcomers to the sport.... ;-)

Back