new mapex saturn walnut/birch five star exclusive...

eamckine

my wife bought me a mapex 5 star exclusive walnut/birch drumset for my 26th birthday...

Attachments

• DSC01654.jpg
    DSC01654.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 1,474
  • pexie1.jpg
    pexie1.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,406
Last edited:
yeah, the sizes are 10, 12, 14, and 16..but i had my toms shaved off just a little bit. so my rack toms are actually about a 3rd of an inch shallower than the standard tom sizes of 10x8 and 12x9. it allows me to position my toms where it's comfortable for me. i had a session last week and only used one rack and one floor. they sounded amazing. resonanted and carried out full tone like a drum is supposed to. the bass is so nice. they just sound like they have a natural EQ. (i'm using aquarian drumheads all around)..

wait- your wife purchased you a kit? can i borrow your wife for a few days? please?

that can never happen..lol..but i can help find you someone that will buy you a new kit..lol..where do you live..? and have you tried myspace out yet..lol..

haha, ummm.... wait really? its cool man, im only 16 (i'll wait a little while longer till i find myself a wife.....lol)

make sure you wait. don't want you marrying a woman just for drums..sounds like an idea though..lol..i may be getting rid of my kit. now i'm thinking about getting a tama bubinga/birch setup, paiste or meinl cymbals, and new microphones. but we'll see. if i decide to get it i'll definitely post it for the world to see me in action..peace..!!!

thanks. it was between the supernova and the galaxy fade..the galaxy fade was too bright/light for my liking..i might be getting a tama bubinga/birch package too: 10x6.5, 12x7, 14x14, and 18x22 bass in stardust fade finish..but we'll see..

. now i'm thinking about getting a tama bubinga/birch setup, paiste or meinl cymbals, and new microphones. but we'll see. if i decide to get it i'll definitely post it for the world to see me in action..peace..!!!

You're considering getting the Tama B/B instead of the Saturns your wife just bought? I trust she is a veeeerrrry understanding and patient lady if you plan on selling her gift.

At any rate, the Saturns look great and you seem to be in love with the sound, so I hope the Tama are pleasing to you as well if you go that route. Good luck.

yeah..i'm still pondering. i haven't even told my wife that i was considering another drumkit..but we'll see how she takes it. hopefully she doesn't kill me..lol...

I almost walked out of the store with this same kit, but decided I should wait for better finish options. Nice kit. That 12" tom is killer, is it not?

You say you had the rack toms "shaved down" a bit to make them shallower. How did you have this done? A drum maker cut them down and then re-did the bearing edges? Just on one side or equally cut down top and bottom?

Just curious.

Oh my god this kit is gorgeous!! Like a work of art, seriously. Congratulations on getting such an AWESOME kit.

yeah, the sizes are 10, 12, 14, and 16..but i had my toms shaved off just a little bit. so my rack toms are actually about a 3rd of an inch shallower than the standard tom sizes of 10x8 and 12x9. it allows me to position my toms where it's comfortable for me. i had a session last week and only used one rack and one floor. they sounded amazing. resonanted and carried out full tone like a drum is supposed to. the bass is so nice. they just sound like they have a natural EQ. (i'm using aquarian drumheads all around)..

That seems like a lot of work and expense for 1/3rd of an inch??

my man cameron from resurrection drums in hollywood, florida does it for me. he did a custom job on one of my gretsch renown maple kits (i'll post that up later tonight hopefully). but he cuts from both the top and bottom. right now i'm in the process of inquiring about mapex offering shallow size toms for this series, and the possibility of offering the same finish options for their original mapex saturn series (which is walnut/maple)..hopefully they listen so that drummers like myself who enjoy having the nice highs of birch for their rack toms and lows of maple for their floors and kicks can create their own personal set up..know what i'm sayin'..but thanks for the posts..ya'll stay up and keep drumming..

That seems like a lot of work and expense for 1/3rd of an inch??

it wasn't that much..maybe a hundred total..i've been dealing with my man from rez drums for a while now. they do it no problem..and it's done in a matter of 2 days or so and i'm back gigging without missing a beat..lol..stay drummin'..

Back