Custom Drumstix: Legit or Ripoff?

There are a few things in the whole "situation" that rubbed me wrong, but I won't discuss them out of professional respect for those involved. I wasn't there to know what went on between them, or any of their business agreements.
The flip side is that with no information forthcoming from anyone from CDX, all we see is a bunch of drummers who have been ripped off, with no explanation as to the core issues that caused this whole problem. There should be zero trust for this company going forward, and rightfully so. Having them be public and forthright about what happened might help clear the air, but not so much as providing refunds to all the people they've ripped off.

The company was comprised of only two people. One of them left the company. Oops, issues in court arbitration.

The guy that left was a total jerk to deal with. He's the reason the company is in a bad position. Unfortunately, "the jerk" was the guy who knew how to program and operate the CNC machine. In other words, the "labor" of the company was gone. Hopefully, all of the remaining issues can be resolved soon.

Last edited:
The company was comprised of only two people. One of them left the company. There are now issues in court arbitration.

The guy that left was a total jerk to deal with. He's the reason the company is in a bad position. Unfortunately, "the jerk" was the guy who knew how to program and operate the CNC machine.

The court stuff is actually all done with. It's been done for a while.
Yes, it was a two person operation.

Curious to what problems you had dealing with Nick?

PM me if you want about it.

Like I said, I had worked with Nick a couple years before CDX was established, with no problems whatsoever.
He always asked for feedback, and wanted to know what I thought would make the sticks a better product for people. I gave him LOTS of feedback and told him what I though. He wanted it all, especially the things that I thought weren't good.
He really cared, and loved making the sticks.

After CDX started, I had never dealt with Danny--for no other reason than it wasn't necessary. Nothing ever came up for me to need to discuss anything with him, and I was brought on board as an endorser, because I was there before it "became" CDX.

My previous statements about Nick shouldn't infer that Danny "didn't care", or "care as much". You'd have to care, or you wouldn't start a business up in the first place right?

Since was an online business, people placing orders wouldn't really need to deal with anyone, unless they had questions about sending in sticks for duplication/customizing, or, if there was a problem.

Danny was the front office of the operation, and the person responsible for shipping things out.
To my knowledge, production was being done, and orders completed ready for shipping. How, when, or if they went out in a timely manner is something I'm not aware of.

There was a machinery problem at one point, but the people affected by it were kept up to date on progress. I know that happened, because I got up dates through the site, and I didn't even have an order in at that time.

Danny won the "court battle", his wife is a lawyer, and they also had other lawyers involved.
Nick was on his own. Not a smart move IMO, but that's what he did.

From the beginning, there were things that were not right, and it all snowballed from there.
They both did things wrong to each other throughout the partnership.

In the end, Danny retained the CDX name, tag line, and equipment. Things that he actually didn't come into the partnership with.
He didn't create the operation, but, he had a better financial position to begin with, was smarter in the business end of the writing of the agreements between himself and Nick, and he had lawyers.

I was researching custom drum sticks and stumbled across this story. Are there any other companies that do this the way CDX did? Is "Nick" going to be making sticks again?

I was researching custom drum sticks and stumbled across this story. Are there any other companies that do this the way CDX did? Is "Nick" going to be making sticks again?

There is a company called CustomDrumsticks.com that does custom work, and their sticks are nice. The name is similar, it's not a typo :)

Nick said he was doing something new as soon as possible. When that will be, I don't know.

I've had work done by Kenner drumsticks in the past. Not sure if they are still doing it. He had a pretty great product, but it got expensive.
I was using Kenner sticks for a couple years before I hooked up with Nick ('07 I think).
He was out of Kentucky if you do a search. I can't remember the town now.

Yeah then the next will be in October. Full of shit company!
middle_finger.png

Woooooooooooo! Going on february! Anyone get their sticks yet? Great business they got down there!

I'm confused enforcerdrummer, do you have an outstanding order with CDX, or just keeping up with the thread & commenting?
2nd use of the pic :)

The CDX site has the same message it's had since the court stuff was done months ago.

I got a message from Nick the other day, and he's not going to be ready til Spring of 2014 with all he's got to get together (tooling that was his to begin with, which now needs to be replaced... plus machinery that's not cheap, etc..).

It'll probably be impossible to get any money back at this point (through a CC) the dispute time frame is probably long past, but people could try.

Has anyone emailed Danny regarding refunds? Have they been responded to?

I got a response the second time, only about a week ago. I asked for a refund, and was told it would happen but there is no money now. Danny said sticks should be made soon...but I'm not holding my breath. My order was $180.

Not for nothing, my VF sticks play and feel terrific. And seeing what goes into the stick before AND after you buy a pair, it's money well spent.

Imagine if you had to play gigs and the sticks you ordered MONTHS ago haven't arrived. Are you playing with your hands until then?

I found this on their website, maybe gives some more background to at least one side of the story,

http://www.customdrumstix.com/delay2012

of course there are two sides, so if anyone has side 2, please pass it on.

That message went out (last) November 7th.
Like I said before, things were told to me, but it'd be a "he said/he said" situation from each person. Nick said he wouldn't dispute some things said by Danny in the posting, but said other things just did not happen. Each person has gone their separate ways, so it really doesn't matter at this point.

Even though it HAS been a long time for people, the final resolution of things was only 2 months ago, and CDX (Danny) is kinda starting from scratch again.
Getting things going can't be instantaneous, and may take a bit of doing for a new place, if the old building isn't an option because of the lease situation.

Finding someone that knows the equipment could be tricky too. Once someone, or a couple people are in place to spin the sticks, they should be rolling again.

How long that will take is anyone's guess....more frequent updates would be helpful to people though.

If I get a chance, I might drop Danny a line and see what's happening.
As it is, I'm using what I have, and trying to maybe do another stick design with another maker--and even then it's hit and miss with the communication with that company too.
I had it pretty good for 4+ years with Nick, as he always got back with me within a day, if not right away.

That message went out (last) November 7th.
Like I said before, things were told to me, but it'd be a "he said/he said" situation from each person. Nick said he wouldn't dispute some things said by Danny in the posting, but said other things just did not happen. Each person has gone their separate ways, so it really doesn't matter at this point.

Even though it HAS been a long time for people, the final resolution of things was only 2 months ago, and CDX (Danny) is kinda starting from scratch again.
Getting things going can't be instantaneous, and may take a bit of doing for a new place, if the old building isn't an option because of the lease situation.

Finding someone that knows the equipment could be tricky too. Once someone, or a couple people are in place to spin the sticks, they should be rolling again.

How long that will take is anyone's guess....more frequent updates would be helpful to people though.

If I get a chance, I might drop Danny a line and see what's happening.
As it is, I'm using what I have, and trying to maybe do another stick design with another maker--and even then it's hit and miss with the communication with that company too.
I had it pretty good for 4+ years with Nick, as he always got back with me within a day, if not right away.

You are danny aren't you? $180? Wow! 2014? That's sad and a great way to run a business. Thank god for Vic Firth!

You are danny aren't you? $180? Wow! 2014? That's sad and a great way to run a business. Thank god for Vic Firth!

#1. No, I'm not Danny.

#2. Hope the $180 issue gets resolved one way or another for member formula428. Being out that much money blows.

#3. 2014 is when NICK (who is not part of CDX anymore) told he would probably be rolling again with something new. He's really starting from scratch, being as all his own personal equipment (2K worth he said) was in the shop when everything was removed. In the end, he didn't come away with anything.

I have no idea when CDX will be opened again for business, if at all.

I hope the VF sticks work great for you!...wait, you're Vic Firth aren't you!!

As of March 4th, CDX is back open
I contacted Danny, and we emailed a few times a few weeks ago, and we had some nice conversations. I was going to post about what he said, but it was close to the opening.
Danny told me he wanted to come on the site and say something, but he thought it might just cause confusion, and not really be productive, so he stayed away.

Here is a link to the site, and an explanation of the happenings with the company.
This is part of the statement:
CDX also paid out refunds to those who asked for one, in the order received, until the funds ran out. It has always been my intention and that of CDX to refund anyone who wanted one and to produce sticks for those who are waiting (no matter how long the wait). I can say that there is finally light at the end of the tunnel and those who have waited will receive their orders in the end.

...I want to take this opportunity to personally apologize to all of you who were affected by all that went on and the delays some of you have experienced. We will make it up to you. My wife and I have taken out substantial loans to make this dream of the American/local small business a reality. Our personal liability and drive to keep this company going speaks to our passion and dedication to CDX. I appreciate everyone's understanding and look forward to working with and speaking with all of you as we rebuild CDX back into the custom stix powerhouse we are!
Remember, I'm always here for you, so email me anytime!
Sincerely,
Danny ([email protected])

http://www.customdrumstix.com/delay2012

I'll still be on board with CDX in the future.

Good to hear about CDX.. Seems like Danny wants to really get back into it full force and retain great customer satisfaction.

I will wait it out for a few more weeks for him to settle in and then try some orders... also maybe check out a Road Warrior endorsement, if he will still be offering.

Have you ordered and received any sticks from the new CDX?

Not yet.
I contacted Danny with a couple questions today, so I can decide on a diameter on one model.
I am also going to be sending a stick tip that I want done for another model.

Tripp (or anyone else), I would email Danny if you are owed anything (money back, or an order).
He said it would be a little bit of time until they could take care of monetary refunds (building up cash), but he fully intended to take care of anyone wanting a refund, or the order they had placed.
Since it's been a while, it'd probably be a good idea to email, and let them know what your order was, or link something that shows what you ordered.
Who knows what was lost in the mire after all that's happened.

I emailed him with a response back into early April and he said they should be shipping out in mid-April, yet I have nothing still. Amazing...

Back