My rant on today's pop music

I agree with this. modern pop sucks. I was born and raised in the '90s yet i prefer pop from the '70s and '80s

I love electronic music, but i find that today's pop just ruins what could have been a good piece of music. I myself write electronic music, but other than some trance/hard trance i tend to stay away from the very repetitive things, and lyrics... I can't sing and im not going to autotune xD

I also write the drums myself on my kit, then track it with software. well other than the good ole "Ughn tiss ughn tiss ughn tiss". But i like the electronic feel :p

I have had good feed back about it being better than pop, but i still doubt it xD

I love electronic music, but i find that today's pop just ruins what could have been a good piece of music.

Yes, I often think the same thing - some cool melodies, riffs, basslines, grooves, sounds etc but then it either gets repeated to oblivion or the singing is cliched, vacuous, pretentious ... with hook repeated endlessly. The Formula. Not much variation in the arrangements either.

Yes, I often think the same thing - some cool melodies, riffs, basslines, grooves, sounds etc but then it either gets repeated to oblivion or the singing is cliched, vacuous, pretentious ... with hook repeated endlessly. The Formula. Not much variation in the arrangements either.

Its like trance... but more repetitive. and vocals that are just random syllables, or the same word looped a few times.

If i wanna hear syllables i would listen to metal. like "We Butter The Bread With Butter".... One of their songs is literally

"Jaaaaaaaaaa
Jip Jip Jip Jappijaaaa

wö dö dö oh
jö di öh
jö di dö dö oi

Au
Breeee Weeeee
bree bree bree bree bree bree bree bree
Au
Breeee Weeeee

I Shot The Sheriff
(but not the deputaty)
I Shot The Sheriff
(but not the deputaty)

Bree bree bree bree
bree bree bree bö bi bö
Bree bree bree bree
bree bree bree bö bi bö

I Shot The Sheriff
Joooooooooooooooooooo

Ui Ui Ui Ui
Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui
Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui
Ui Ui Ui Ui Ooooh

Jo Jo Jo
BreeeeuuuWeeee
La La La
Jo Jo Jo
BreeeeuuuWeeee
La La La

Au
Breeee Weeeee
Au
Breeee Weeeee

Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui
Ui Ui Ui Ui
Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui
Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui Ui"

Sounds like pop lyrics in a way :p

I just ran through the last few posts in this thread so what I say might be repetitive - here's my opinion:

In the end, you get what you deserve ('you' meaning those earthlings which have a pretty low standard on 'musical aesthetics', creative/organic melodic/rhythmic structures etc. but those which merely qualify as 'consumers' because that's what they are. OTOH, if even THAT music (being as low quality in terms of 'music substance' it is is enough to please those mass consumers, then everything is in balance in this regard.

Also, the term 'music BUSINESS' implies it's about making money. I can fully understand that the music business produces products which are most successful on the market. The higher musical standard, the less people will like/buy it. Or the other way round - no surprise, no mystery.

So we can rant our *sses off but it doesn't really help. Personally, I classify those 'mass music consumers' into 2 categories:

1) peeps who understand that this music is pretty low standard but like it nonetheless (their understanding stems from either a minimal amount of intellect or because they play an instrument themselves)

2) peeps who 'like' the music simply because what is airplayed massively for months or years WILL stick in one's ear (paramount parameter: hooklines!!! - although hooks can be good but you know what I mean) - quality doesn't matter because the masses are conditioned to this music sh*t. These folks remind me of a herd of lemmings - they follow wherever their leaders (=radio/tv airplay, music industry, mass media) will lead them - could well be into an abyss.

Unfortunately, this 2nd category forms the majority.

Some 20 yrs back when I began paying more attention to music and learning an instrument (first el. guitar, then ac. guitar and 1 year ago drums) there were genres of music I utterly hated (e.g. rap, techno... up to the present day), but now I've grown more tolerated towards other people's opinions (if they do have one - some people seem to be simply too stupid to have an 'own' opinion). I've learned from other musicians which I highly appreciate that as long as someone has a benefit or satisfaction when listening to ANY music, this makes sense and cannot be wrong. I do prefer to ignore the genres I'm not into, but I try not to rant on them too much. Because people are different and are entitled to different opinions. BTW, I have no problems liking diverse music genres/styles, ranging from Sarah Brightman to Slayer. I think a bit open-mindedness is a good thing (I came to this opinion gradually...).

Last edited:
I think there is a parallel between today's music and other forms of entertainment. A huge percentage of today's TV shows are now reality shows (which aren't real at all). No scripts, no character development - just stick people in a room and film them doing stupid, outrageous and dangerous (i.e. Jackass) things. Movies rely on violence, sex, computer wizardry, and things blowing up for excitement. Comedians rely on cultural and ethnic stereotypes and foul language.

IMO - all forms of entertainment have regressed significantly over the last decade or so.

Have you noticed how many YouTube comments on videos of older bands there are by young people saying how they wished they lived in the 60s/70s/80s? It's reached the point where people are treating those comments as an annoying cliche, like commenting on the Dislike Button score.

But it's not the kids' fault ... they really are being fed shovelfuls of rubbish by the majors.

It's hard for good young bands to get mainstream attention, what with old fart stars doing their 35th comeback tour, endless formulaic hip hop and pop on music videos, noise laws and gaming machines. Put a video on YouTube with a squillion others, competing with hilarious clips of Auntie Susan's dachshund farting and messy young people ranting at the camera, offering themselves up for some self-validating hate comments.

So the now bands don't get heard as much, giving the impression to the incurious that all there is out there is Rebecca Whatsername and FM classic rock.

So the now bands don't get heard as much, giving the impression to the incurious that all there is out there is Rebecca Whatsername and FM classic rock.

Don't forget Justin Whatshername

Im only 20, yet i love The Beatles, Dio, Pink Floyd, and a bunch of other bands and artists from before my time. But ive noticed even rock and heavy metal of today sound more and more alike, along with all the pop artists.

For example (to me any ways) Nickleback and Hinder sound very similar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JQiEs32SqQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSfTyrvJlg

Im only 20, yet i love The Beatles, Dio, Pink Floyd, and a bunch of other bands and artists from before my time. But ive noticed even rock and heavy metal of today sound more and more alike, along with all the pop artists.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSfTyrvJlg

Yes, there's a lot copying of successful formulas hitting the mainstream and increasingly less musical adventure. The pop scene is moving in ever-decreasing circles, becoming more constrained and conservative. It's much harder now for people to take creative risks because of the pressure cooker competition for the few opportunities available, hence the popularity of tribute bands.

Allied to this is the strong emphasis on "professionalism", which makes it hard for young players (especially renegades) to crack the scene. Not to mention the whole drum machine thing. Professionalism and perfection doesn't do it for me; I get enough of that in the office. When I see a band I want rawness and buzz. If they can perform their music perfectly, great, but I want the empasis on the buzz first.

The only place to find cool new music is on the web (in Oz, though I'm told there are some good "underground" US radio stations). My nephew is 19 and he's keen on Floyd too ... along with some hip hop and techno that doofs you into submission within minutes.

Last month i went to see the summer slaughter tour in Portland Oregon. It was mostly Deathcore/Death metal music.

To me some of the bands there, like pop, have similar sounds as each other, which is what deathcore is becoming in the metal side of things.

But the bands Whitechapel and The Black Dahlia Murder Had so much energy up on stage, that no matter how little i care for the "Deathcore" genre, i couldn't help but join in the fun.
Not only that, they have more talent than just chugging the same three chords, while the drummer plays blast beats. :p

(speaking of drummer... Black Dahlia's drummer had an amazing looking Tama kit. I believe it was two 20 inch kicks, 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 inch toms. cant remember the cymbals though)

The only place to find cool new music is on the web (in Oz, though I'm told there are some good "underground" US radio stations). My nephew is 19 and he's keen on Floyd too ... along with some hip hop and techno that doofs you into submission within minutes.

Don't forget local bands as well... For a good way of finding good music. Because two days before that, i went to a local show near my home town, and a newer band called Comeback Ten Fold played. They were damn good.

All of their songs where completely different from each other, yet still combined the same musical quality the whole time. It was a pleasant mix of punk rock and alternative with a touch of a few others.

Put simply pop music sucks. I have no problem with pop-rock or pop-punk(i am in a pop punk band), it's stuff like kesha, lady gaga and all the electronic and rap stuff that i hate the most

Have you noticed how many YouTube comments on videos of older bands there are by young people saying how they wished they lived in the 60s/70s/80s? It's reached the point where people are treating those comments as an annoying cliche, like commenting on the Dislike Button score.

But it's not the kids' fault ... they really are being fed shovelfuls of rubbish by the majors.

It's hard for good young bands to get mainstream attention, what with old fart stars doing their 35th comeback tour, endless formulaic hip hop and pop on music videos, noise laws and gaming machines. Put a video on YouTube with a squillion others, competing with hilarious clips of Auntie Susan's dachshund farting and messy young people ranting at the camera, offering themselves up for some self-validating hate comments.

All the same kind of crap was shoveled out by people my age when I started in the 60s. The "old farts" were doing their Pat Boone, Nat King Cole, Perry Como covers and us kids couldn't catch a break. Blah, blah, blah.
When today's "I want my own music and my own style" people get older they're going to hear complaints about those old techno farts making it hard for good young bands to get their mainstream attention.
The more it changes, the more it stays the same. And so it goes...

(It's kind of sad to me when I read comments by musicians that there's too much emphasis on professionalism.)

All the same kind of crap was shoveled out by people my age when I started in the 60s. The "old farts" were doing their Pat Boone, Nat King Cole, Perry Como covers and us kids couldn't catch a break. Blah, blah, blah.
When today's "I want my own music and my own style" people get older they're going to hear complaints about those old techno farts making it hard for good young bands to get their mainstream attention.
The more it changes, the more it stays the same. And so it goes...

Sure, there's always been music with little soul or cleverness produced just for the $$, but there was a lot more real stuff on "hip" TV and radio shows.

(It's kind of sad to me when I read comments by musicians that there's too much emphasis on professionalism.)

Not very slick and a really bad bum note, but inspired: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Bn0Kq7rls

This one is terribly self indulgent with all those long solos - it'll never sell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqAuuIDU2sw

Uh oh, here's a drum song - our focus groups show that people don't care for drum songs by old, unkempt guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT2J1Ot9N5c

I'm guessing you aren't saddened any more ...

Sure, there's always been music with little soul or cleverness produced just for the $$, but there was a lot more real stuff on "hip" TV and radio shows.

Not very slick and a really bad bum note, but inspired: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Bn0Kq7rls

This one is terribly self indulgent with all those long solos - it'll never sell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqAuuIDU2sw

Uh oh, here's a drum song - our focus groups show that people don't care for drum songs by old, unkempt guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT2J1Ot9N5c

I'm guessing you aren't saddened any more ...

Your examples just insulted three professionals. Way to go.
Yeah, I'm saddened at your definition of professionalism.

Your examples just insulted three professionals. Way to go.
Yeah, I'm saddened at your definition of professionalism.

You're givin me crap now, Cliff lol

You now know what I meant by "professional" - the accent on clinical perfection over soulfulness and creativity. It's disappointing (even saddening) but so typical of risk averse big biz.

Sorry, but no, I did not understand your thought behind "professionalism".
A "professional" musician, to me, is someone who knows his/her craft, shows on time, performs to the very best of their ability, shows respect to his/her audience, and appears on stage in attire appropriate for the event and/or performance.
I don't feel basic professionalism is something that varies based on the attitude of the artist. Certainly the many styles of music have their own accepted variances appropriate for their venue but the underlying principles of professionalism remain.

Back