Anti-Vibration Drumsticks

funkytomtom

Salutations.

I have a long history of wrist, tendon, and muscle issues. I've gone a long way in figuring out how to warm up and stretch properly, but my drumming still has to stay somewhat limited.

I've noticed Zildjian's "anti-vibe" drumsticks and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. I know they won't be a silver bullet or anything, but I could use all the help I could get. Any thoughts? Or...more importantly...experiences?

Lastly, I apologize if this has been covered already; my search turned up no results.

I was given a set of Zildjian 5A Anti Vib sticks several months ago. I use them once in a while and really don't feel any difference. I'm not a very hard hitter. Those who are might be able to get some results from them.

Dennis

Salutations.

I have a long history of wrist, tendon, and muscle issues. I've gone a long way in figuring out how to warm up and stretch properly, but my drumming still has to stay somewhat limited.

I've noticed Zildjian's "anti-vibe" drumsticks and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. I know they won't be a silver bullet or anything, but I could use all the help I could get. Any thoughts? Or...more importantly...experiences?

Lastly, I apologize if this has been covered already; my search turned up no results.

Actually ANTI-VIBE'S may be your silver bullet, they work well. You sacrifice some rebound, but maybe you don't utilize rebound enough to make it matter.

The butt end of the sticks have a precision drilled 9mm hole that's 2 7/8 deep (don't try this at home), inside the hole they put these black 2 3/4 inch foam plugs.

They play pretty shock free, they work.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    220.7 KB · Views: 7,444
I highly recommend Ahead sticks. I was very skeptical at first, especially when part of their marketing was low vibration. After I played them a few days and then switched back to wood sticks I noticed a big difference. The wood sticks allow a ton of shock to pass to your hands forearms. Many of their endorsers, such as Tico Torres, use them for the exact problem you are having. He claims the combination of the stick and the gloves made by Ahead saved his carrer. I know most people don't like synthetic sticks but once you get used to these you will probably like them. For me the grip tape they make is a must. I might try the gloves. Another big advantage of using these sticks is that there are no more wood chips on the floor.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll have to go pull the trigger on some anti-vibes.

I'm pretty skeptical about synthetic sticks however. I've tried them once or twice and was not impressed with the feel. Maybe you get used to it?

When I was going through tendonitis and carpal tunnel problems a while back, I tried these sticks. What I found out was; vibration isn't an issue and these things are a waste of money, IMO.

The stick should vibrate - you just shouldn't be gripping it hard enough to not allow it to.

I use normal hickory sticks but I put the Ahead grip wrap/tape on the butt so my grip is super-relaxed, when playing for hours at a time. The sticks still vibrate like crazy, only now I can feel it happening rather than absorbing of that energy into my hands. It's actually a good measurement of how loose your grip is.

I got some about three months ago and broke them in two weeks so I got a pair of Pro-Mark 5A's and right away I thought I had broke my sticks. I'm a very hard hitter. I can still feel a huge difference (Been playing with those Pro-Marks ever since).

I had the same problem witht the Zildjian Anti Vibes, they broke too easily.

I had the same problem witht the Zildjian Anti Vibes, they broke too easily.

I agree also. Zildjian Anti-Vibe sticks, in my opinion, are excellent for electronic drums. I use them solely for that purpose only. The life span of those anti-vibe sticks on an acustic kit is not very long at all....at least in my experience.

If wood is giveing your wrists problems i would suggest going with Ahead sticks instead of these.....unless your willing to spend 15.00 every few weeks for one pair of sticks. Just a suggestion.

I am having like issues with my left hand where my left thumb joins my hand---the trapezium and the scaphoid junction. It bothers me more when I play traditional, so most of my playing is matched. I too would love to find a solution. I have found that a looser snare head helps some. So maybe during practice loosen the head and tighten again for playing out or recording. This is something I learned from racquet sports like tennis and racquet ball. Tighter strings, more tennis elbow issues. so I applied it to drum heads especially snares.

I tried the AHEADS, broke every one of them and went through a lot of covers.

True it seems ZILDJIAN uses lesser hickory in general, but the ANTI VIBES shock-absorbing ability is greater than the AHEADS.

I came away from my AHEAD experience no more ahead-$ than using wood. Jacking with tips, covers, just another hassle.

I am having like issues with my left hand where my left thumb joins my hand---the trapezium and the scaphoid junction. It bothers me more when I play traditional, so most of my playing is matched. I too would love to find a solution. I have found that a looser snare head helps some. So maybe during practice loosen the head and tighten again for playing out or recording. This is something I learned from racquet sports like tennis and racquet ball. Tighter strings, more tennis elbow issues. so I applied it to drum heads especially snares.

Ooooh...this piqued my interest indeed. I'll give that a try.

Wrap the stick with a tennis OVER grip. It will make them easier to hold on to and absorb the shock. (Over grips are thinner than the regular tennis grips)

Junk. Had one pair of those years ago. Broke the day I got em! Lol and they didnt feel any different while I used them neither.

So...I bought the damn things.

I've been playing 5A Pro-Mark Oaks for the last few years, but when I needed to go in to get a new pair recently (fairly rare with these sticks) I decided to pick up some Zildjian 5A Anti-Vibes. This was a little under a week ago.

I now have probably six or seven hours of playtime behind these things (mostly on a practice pad, but some kit playing as well) and I'm ready to give a tentative opinion. These things ROCK!!!

I've been playing more hours with less pain than I have in a long time. Additionally, I think my double strokes rolls have improved using this stick. Here's what I notice: vibration from the stick is substantially reduced. I just did a little more testing on the pad before I wrote this and there is a clearly apparent difference in feel between vibe and anti-vibe sticks. The vibe (good enough term for me) sticks seem like they want to get away from you. With every stroke you're fighting to keep them under control. With the anti-vibe this is not an issue.

I'm completely sold on these things for the practice pad and I would highly recommend them for that use. I'm not completely sold as to their application on kit. They feel great so far, but I am worried about durability and I don't like the tip.

Definitely worth a try for any drummer.

It seems like I may just be talking to myself, but that's ok.

I've played with these sticks much more extensively on the set and I've been impressed. Durability in terms of the shaft of the stick seems to me to be on par with the pro-mark oaks. This is no small feat.

Yesterday night, however, I was playing at a local blues jam when it felt like my right stick broke. I was in the middle of a song and I couldn't for the life of me see a break, so I kept playing. A few seconds later I felt the rubber insert flapping around out of the bottom of the stick. The feeling was weird but I was mid-jam and had to keep it together. Finally the damn thing fell out and it was just like playing with a normal stick again.

A setback indeed. I'm headed out to buy a new pair soon, but I was rather disappointed that the dampening material wasn't a little better anchored.

This may sound absolutely crazy but this is what i do to my anti-vibes. I take a small peice of black electric tape and put it over the butt of the stick..problem solved. It may look and, like i said, sound stupid but it works. As long as it works that's all that matters.

This may sound absolutely crazy but this is what i do to my anti-vibes. I take a small peice of black electric tape and put it over the butt of the stick..problem solved. It may look and, like i said, sound stupid but it works. As long as it works that's all that matters.

I was thinking about doing just that...and now...I will.

Back