New Videos: Vinnie Colaiuta - Tal Wilkenfeld

Wow!
Tal looks really young, but MAN!
That was awesome!
Vinnie holding down those beastly grooves as usual too.

Thanks B!

I have this dvd, Bernhard, but its just as nice to see this again.

A beautiful tune, with Jeff at his raw emotive best, and Vinnie powering that Gretsch with brushes ( ! ) Boy he can sound BIG with brushes if he wants to.

Tal's a heck of a talent but she's older than she looks.

Great stuff, thanks.

All of them did a great job. Loved that bass solo.

Groovy especially that bass solo. Haven't heard of the bassist before but she sticks out like a sore thumb among all the old male veteran players! Visually, but not to the ear. Oh and it looks like vinnie stole gruntersdad's kit! Or he loaned it out to him, just for one show : )

Hell yeah! Vinnie is just Vinnie, damn. Thanks so much, Bernhard.
Which Crossroads is this (year)?

God! I just arrived at "Stratus". When that bassline kicked it blew my mind, wasn't expecting hearing something like Stratus at all. What an amazing band those guys make.

I saw that performance on one of my HD channels and wondered who the young bassist was. Thanks for that update Mr. Bernhard.

Saw Tal with Wayne Krantz and Keith Carlock last year.

She really is tiny. She also didn't play most of the set, because she was having foldback problems. And she seemed really really crabby.

Talked to my bass player later, turns out he went to school with her in Sydney. When he knew her she was ok at guitar.

They parted ways, she picked up bass and now she tours with Herbie, Clapton, Wayne Krantz etc...

She's a true talent. I was keeping up with her last year and was blown away every time. Vinnie is well.....Vinnie. And Jeff has been a fav for years.

Saw this line up in Atlantic city a few years ago,with my son.Got to sit five rows dead center.They where outstanding,Just a treat.Thanks for posting.Vinnie is just amazing.............

Saw Tal with Wayne Krantz and Keith Carlock last year.

She really is tiny. She also didn't play most of the set, because she was having foldback problems. And she seemed really really crabby.

Talked to my bass player later, turns out he went to school with her in Sydney. When he knew her she was ok at guitar.

They parted ways, she picked up bass and now she tours with Herbie, Clapton, Wayne Krantz etc...
She is a rare bird. Started playing guitar at fourteen, switched to bass at seventeen. Within a few months got her first endorsement and at eighteen started playing in various New York jazz clubs. By twenty she composed, produced, arranged and recorded her first album, with Wayne Krantz, Geoffrey Keezer, saxophonist Seamus Blake, and Keith Carlock. She's been hard at work since, and to good effect.
http://www.talwilkenfeld.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tal_Wilkenfeld

Try to catch the entire video Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie's Scott's. It plays now and then on Paladia in HD. They pan the crowd and all kinds of superstars are out there, Jimmy Page, etc... Clapton does a couple tunes. The sound is awesome as is Vinnie's playing, I had to get the CD. Those drums in the Crossroads video look a lot like my Renown Autumn Burst. They are probably USA Customs, but I can pretend can't I.

It's funny, one of the bass players in the "scene" I frequent is a Tal Wilkenfeld "type" She's young, (early 20's) tiny, her bass is taller than she, and hot dang can she play. She's the best bass player I know besides this one other guy. She looks a lot like Tal too, it's pretty coincidental. It's like she's everyones daughter. She goes to these bass camp things once a year and guys like Victor Wooten take her right under their wing.

But great video, I really like that lineup.

I think Colaiuta is prononced MONSTER or col-a-u-ta. My friend Dave has a great way to describe him. He says "The best drummer in the world, well, he has Vinnie's poster on his wall."

holy crap I think I'm in love... I realize Im late on this wagon but better late then never I guess... Oh yeah Jeff and VC were pretty good too :-D

Seriously though.. awesome vid.. thanks for the post

I love the way her anatomy hangs over the top of her bass ha ha.

Back