Cheap drum rugs

jwildman

I play on a shag carpet and my bass drum slides alot. I put down weights and that definatley helped but it didn't stop it completly. Does anyone know of something under 40 bucks preferably that will stop my bass drum from sliding?

1: Take your existing rug.
2: Buy a remnant 2x4 or a 4x4, about 1' in length.
3: Buy two bolts that will go from the bottom of the rug, through the wood, and nuts to top them off.
4: Buy washers to put between the heads of the bolts and the rug and the wood and the nuts.
5: Drill accordingly and install.

It's like any production drum rug, only cheaper. If you are worried about marring anything, buy felt or thick fabric and wrap the wood in it.

You are gonna have to be careful about the bolt heads on the floors under the rug, if that's an issue. You could always cap them with rubber or soft plastic.

I was just about to say the same as the above. I have done this and it works great!

1: Take your existing rug.
2: Buy a remnant 2x4 or a 4x4, about 1' in length.
3: Buy two bolts that will go from the bottom of the rug, through the wood, and nuts to top them off.
4: Buy washers to put between the heads of the bolts and the rug and the wood and the nuts.
5: Drill accordingly and install.

It's like any production drum rug, only cheaper. If you are worried about marring anything, buy felt or thick fabric and wrap the wood in it.

You are gonna have to be careful about the bolt heads on the floors under the rug, if that's an issue. You could always cap them with rubber or soft plastic.

Under my carpet is concrete

What I use is a pre-cut rug from Lowe's and industrial strength velcro dots. My kick drum doesn't budge and it helps alot when needing to set up for shows or something really fast. Hard side of velcro for cymbal stands...soft side for drums.

WalMart has cheap rugs. They even have black. They are perfect size. 40 inches x 5 feet.
I bought a brown and a black one for about $16 each. I have had them for about six months now, no problems.
Plus you get to check out all of the whacky WalMart shoppers while you are there buying them! That alone is worth the trip.
You can screw a piece of wood to the rug as others have mentioned. You can also pad the wood before you screw it.

Do you have the spike feet out on your bass spurs?

I use a $20 area rug from walmart 6'x8' and have no issues with my bass sliding on it.

I have this roadrunner drum rug from guitar center and I will say its amazing!!!...It has a built in bass drum chock, weighted corners, and a rubber backing to prevent sliding on slick surfaces....I can only say good things about it and strongly recommend it. The fabric is also great for pedals with Velcro on the bottom...solid as a rock!!!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner-Drum-Rug-886066-i1475198.gc

....I just happend to see it in a sale flyer one day for $19.99 USD, so I got a steal on it.

i went to Home Depot or Lowes & got a 6 x 6' floor covering cut to spec (on those huge spools in the back). the one i found was like black car-carpet. thin but tough. been working like a champ for something like 10 years.

Also, check your bass drum pedal and make sure the spikes are extended out (if you have them) to help resist sliding. If they are all the way out, they may be worn, or bent and need to be replaced.

Bought one from Lowe's for $20. Good size and rubber backed so I can use it on the ground.

Olefin mats from a restaurant supply store are perfect. They are very tough, roll up well, rubber-edged so they don't fray, pretty thin so they don't tilt your stands much and coated with fuzzy fabric that holds Velcro in a death grip. They will take abuse from spikes very well.

I got the 2 by 3 foot size so it just holds my hihat stand, bass drum pedal and one foot of each tom stand, but they have larger sizes too. I have seen them in black, gray, red and green.

Why do you use drum rugs? Is it to protect your instrument? or it affects the sound of the drum?

I'll take this as a genuine question.....even though your signature tag "rugs" tells my cynical mind that it's nothing more than spam.

BUT, on the odd chance you are serious.....Yes, to protect the kit....and to stop it sliding around. Plus as an added bonus you can put markings on the rug that indicate where each peice of the kit sits to ensure a quick and easy set up first time, every time. :)

Last edited:
I use a very tight weave rug (like automobile carpet) and I have velcro strips on the bottom of my kick pedal. Once the the pedal is clamped
onto the bass drum, it stays put. At the end of the night, I practically have to pry the pedal up from the carpet.

Back