necce81.jpg

1171486NeilsKit.jpg

warmupset.jpg

peart-kit-overhead-660-80.jpg

Neil_Peart3.jpg

rush-discography-19742008-6.gif

Last edited:
Re: Neil Peart's Drum Set's

So, if you could pick just ONE, which kit is your favorite?

So, if you could pick just ONE, which kit is your favorite?
Probably the Red Tama kit on the floating dock. I like the depth of his newer drum sets, but I like the tom setup better on the old setup. I don't like the ride taking up the tom placement.

Last edited:

I think my favorite is still the black Slingerland, but that's because he was playing that kit the first time I saw Rush.

Playing-wise, I prefer the ride cymbal under the right hand, so I know why he switched. But I know what you mean. Especially when I was a young buck in the 70's, there was something about seeing a guy surrounded with toms!

I'll even admit to to having an exact replica of that black kit, long ago. I had exactly the same sizes and even had the mount for the 12" tom on the left side of the bass drum so it would fit correctly and allow the two bass drums to sit close together!

I'm a tom guy first, so I really don't like the stretch from tom to tom with the ride in the way. He has had some beautiful kits over the years. So much to look at, and so much fun to play. Everything is still within reach. Everything is used, not just there for show.

My fave is still the Black Slingerland's too. Look at all that cool stuff!!

Second would be the Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures wood finished Tama kit.
Never cared for his Ludwig kits for some reason.

There's something really cool to me about the "junky-ness" of that chrome & copper Slingerland kit too.
Can you imaging anyone NOW going on tour with a miss-matched kit like that? That's what people did back then though, and it was no big deal. Mix and match drums too.
That was your kit, and you played your shows. No one cared or noticed those things, just like they don't now--unless you're a drummer.

The electronics are cool, but I think people would sh*t if he went and put the gong, chimes, tympani, blocks and all that back up again for a tour.
A roadie nightmare...but look at all that cool stuff!

Out of all those I really like the R30 kit the best. Something about that black sparkle just jumps out to me.

I'd like them better if they were Ludwigs. Nice fanboy thread.

The candy apple red kit floating on the water was my fave of the old-time kits.

Of the new ones, I would take that Hockey Night In Canada kit in a heartbeat. I'm a die-hard hockey fanatic and watching HNIC has been a Saturday night ritual for me since I was a kid, and still is today. Full disclosure: I'm an unapologetic Don Cherry fan, too.

Plus, reading Neil's blog entry about how that kit was made was fascinating. The color of the finish, the blue and red lines, the way they got the hardware to have a tint of ice blue... just awesome.

I've never been a collector of drums, but that hockey kit is something I'd spend too much on, probably.

The candy apple red kit floating on the water was my fave of the old-time kits.

Of the new ones, I would take that Hockey Night In Canada kit in a heartbeat. I'm a die-hard hockey fanatic and watching HNIC has been a Saturday night ritual for me since I was a kid, and still is today. Full disclosure: I'm an unapologetic Don Cherry fan, too.

Plus, reading Neil's blog entry about how that kit was made was fascinating. The color of the finish, the blue and red lines, the way they got the hardware to have a tint of ice blue... just awesome.

I've never been a collector of drums, but that hockey kit is something I'd spend too much on, probably.
Well it is cool that Neil has put so much thought into some of his kits. Probably one of the best collections out there.

Out of all those I really like the R30 kit the best. Something about that black sparkle just jumps out to me.
That is one of my favorites just on looks alone, but I don't like his new setup. Dark colors don't work very well on stage either.

My fave is still the Black Slingerland's too. Look at all that cool stuff!!

Second would be the Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures wood finished Tama kit.
Never cared for his Ludwig kits for some reason.

There's something really cool to me about the "junky-ness" of that chrome & copper Slingerland kit too.
Can you imaging anyone NOW going on tour with a miss-matched kit like that? That's what people did back then though, and it was no big deal. Mix and match drums too.
That was your kit, and you played your shows. No one cared or noticed those things, just like they don't now--unless you're a drummer.

The electronics are cool, but I think people would sh*t if he went and put the gong, chimes, tympani, blocks and all that back up again for a tour.
A roadie nightmare...but look at all that cool stuff!
I agree with you Karl on the Slingerland days with all the percussion. That is what drew me to him. All the different stuff he would play. Seemed like a real percussionist, not just a kit player. I used to be an electronic drum freak, but since getting my new kit, I have no use for them anymore. I think it is time Neil did the same. They lack hugely in the presence category in his solo's.

Probably the Red Tama kit on the floating dock. I like the depth of his newer drum sets, but I like the tom setup better on the old setup. I don't like the ride taking up the tom placement.

My first Tama kit came with a banner with that pic on it..that's the classic Peart kit..saw him play that kit on tour a few times..

My first Tama kit came with a banner with that pic on it..that's the classic Peart kit..saw him play that kit on tour a few times..

Mine didn't, and I was inconsolable about it. I think I just missed the cutoff or something, because my buddy bought his set a few months earlier and got one and I never forgave him. I wanted that banner so bad.

I want to know where that banner is now. Do you still have it?

Actually I sold it a few years ago..for quite a bit of money if I remember correctly..:)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I have seen a few auctioned off and they go for quite a bit. A local store has one hanging up but he won't give it to me. :(

great thread,

I have the superstar floating on the lake store banner hanging in my studio.

I would have to pick the superstars, for me that is the quintessential Peart kit.

the DWs are worth more though ;-)

great thread,

I have the superstar floating on the lake store banner hanging in my studio.

I would have to pick the superstars, for me that is the quintessential Peart kit.

the DWs are worth more though ;-)

I personally like Neil's drum sound more on those older recordings as well...

Back