Australia's flooding

Here's a before and after pic ... from Google maps and a photo in on a news site.

Newspapers are saying there's "14 dead and dozens missing". Given the human cost of this, I can't imagine what Pakistan's floods last year would have been like, 1,900 people died and millions homeless. What people go through at times is mind-boggling.

Attachments

• flood-before-after.jpg
    flood-before-after.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 147
Luckily my apartment that I'm moving into for Uni in a bit over a month is dry too, for people familiar with Brisbane I'm living on the QUT campus at Kelvin Grove (studying at the con though).

Good find with the photos Polly. And yeah, Pakistan was much worse.

Truely unbelievable footage of Brisbane and Ipswich again this morning. Heartbreaking to see the scale of devastation. The damage done thus far is totally staggering.....so much of a state that size underwater is something I never thought possible.

Hang in there Queenslanders!!

Bloody awful as well in Venezuela...my country!

Attachments

• expoagua-31.jpg
    expoagua-31.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Image1616.jpg
    Image1616.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 98
  • inundaciones.jpg
    inundaciones.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 112
  • inundaciones-en-venezuela.jpg
    inundaciones-en-venezuela.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Wow, all those places flooding, it must be the end of the world, the ice caps are melting and we are all going to drown. Serious. Scary stuff.

Our hearts go out to everyone in those areas!
I'm not to hip on the areas that are flooding in Australia, but is there any concern of the flood waters affecting the Great Barrier Reef? Though things may not be affected further out, the drastic change in salinity can wreek havic along coast line reefs. Plus theres all the contaminated terrestial soil that will flow with the water over the reefs.

QLD is 666,876 square miles in area. 75 percent of that is a lot of land. Three quarters of it are under deep water. Having driven around much of QLD I am atounded.

Where about are you Wy yung? My brother is just outside of Ippswich (a hard hit area) and he is saying the media is blowing it up. Not as bad as they say. I have no personal experience of the floods, but 75% of QLD being underwater seems (at least if you take it literally) a bit inflated, given my brothers report and where he is. Maybe he is being a hard-ass?

I really am interested as to how bad it really is, and want to know myself.

Back