What's the best Bass Drum Beater?

bonzolead

Platinum Member
Hey all you drummers,
I'm want to replace my dw5000 beater and was curious which one I should get?
opinions please and why you like it.

Thanks for your time,
Bonzolead

Two for me:

Pearl 900 Pedal - My first pedal. For $75, it does a pretty good job of being a pedal. Nothing overly fancy, not many parts that can break, and extremely smooth.

Pearl Eliminator Chain Driven Pedal - Even smoother than the Pearl 900. I think of it as the same but upgraded with many "adjustable" doodads. I got mine on ebay for $62, less than a new Pearl 900.

I have the Tama CB90F felt beater on most of my pedals. I find I can get a lower fundamental note with that beater. It's light, responsive and well balanced. On anything smaller than a 20" bass, I use a "powder puff" beater to enhance the low end.

Dennis

I have the Tama CB90F felt beater on most of my pedals. I find I can get a lower fundamental note with that beater. It's light, responsive and well balanced. On anything smaller than a 20" bass, I use a "powder puff" beater to enhance the low end.

Dennis
I will also check out that beater also,

Thanks

Anybody use any of the Puresound beaters? I know there snare wires are great but what about their beaters?

Thanks again,
Bonzolead

Without a single doubt the Tama CB90 Iron Cobra beater. The wood beater head for a more natural "drum stick on drumhead" sound, and the felt beater head for a more refined sound.

Wood- clicky, sort of triggered kind of sound

Felt- thumpy, softer sound (unless you pound on it)

Rubber- I'd just stick to wood and felt, there's really no distinctive sound you can get from a rubber beater, which makes them a little pointless. You hardly ever see drummers use them.

I just picked up a danmar round felt beater on Saturday to replace the stock beater on my DW9000 pedal. Haven't had a huge amount of time to put my feet to it yet but the little time I did it felt really good, not as heavy as the DW beater

That beater's crazy I would have too play it first. oooooooo Chris Adler uses it so I must buy it. LOL

Bonzolead

I saw that when I was at Sam Ash on an Axis pedal when I was picking up my danmar beater. Interesting design but I'll take a standard design beater.

Without a single doubt the Tama CB90 Iron Cobra beater. The wood beater head for a more natural "drum stick on drumhead" sound, and the felt beater head for a more refined sound.

Rubber- I'd just stick to wood and felt, there's really no distinctive sound you can get from a rubber beater, which makes them a little pointless. You hardly ever see drummers use them.

IMO a rubber beater is like a cross between felt & wood or plastic.

i'm considering a rubber beater because I want more of a punch instead of a slap(plastic) and felt doesn't. have enough attack unless it's thin,condenced felt as in a Iron Cobra, that might be a consideration also.

I appreciate everyone's reply thanks.

Bonzolead

I use a large felt beater, the big round one, but gently took a hammer to it to soften it up a bit. It was hard enough to almost replicate the hard flat felt side of a double beater.

Last edited:
I use the Danmar Round Felt beater without any additional weighting on my DW7000 pedal and on my DW9000 pedal, I use it with three of the collar position locks all the way up at the top under the head of the beater as additional weight.

I also use the DW Hardcore Beaters with 3 collars. These beaters are very light. For low volume gigs they're great with no weights because the rubber gives a light impact, feathered bass drum sound. When you kick harder the plastic in the center ofthe beater makes more contact and you get a lot more attack and punch. Especially withthe additional weights.

I like the feeling of a heavier beater and a long springy throw to the pedal action. I would use a heavy wood beater but I don't like the slap so I came up with the lighter beater with weights as I need to change the feel.
p28832h-93941c2a58836481914aec974ce62c70.jpg

The collars look like the one on the bottom of this Tama Beater
p43919b-d6f5944316db25cd7e5c80c1a6dae4d6.jpg

Your probably familiar with the Danmar 206. Check out Danmars site they have a lot of great beater options. http://www.danmarpercussion.com/top1.htm

Sonic Hammer with stainless steel shaft weighs in at 4.5 oz

By comparison, medium size felt beaters are around 3 oz

Slug's 'HEAVY' is 4.25 oz

"PUNCH COLLAR" model L3D-2PC-X

Heaviest foot feel. Maximum punch and impact.

Tapered Shaft: 17-4PH Stainless Steel
Fixed Weight Collar: 1 oz.
Total Beater Weight: 4.25 oz.
Head Color: Silver
Shaft Length: 6.5"
List Price: $45.00 (US)
Used by Slug Endorsers including: Tim Austin, Gregg Stocki, Brian "B.J." Jones, Bryant "T" Parker, Jeremiah Thomas

+1 for the Iron Cobra beaters...just awesome. I've been using the same IC felt beater for over 2 yrs. now...good as new. I have the rubber beater but haven't spent more than 5 minutes w/ it. I hang on to it for some reason.

Back