Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Emma made it sound like she was being accused of being compensated, and I don't see any comments that implied or would cause her to infer that. As for believing hype, that's another topic.

The purpose of this thread was to find out if the members thought as much of Casey as the OP does, and most of the answers - pro and con - have been delivered cogently based on watching and listening to the videos.

Bermuda
It sounded more like posing a hypothetical question to me, but whatever. ;) Back to watching Meg White videos for me!

Originally Posted by Arky
Do you get paid acting as his advocate?

I was accused of being compensated.

Ah, I see... you mistook a rhetorical question as an accusation.

Now, back to topic, please.

\Casey Cooper is a mediocre musician that made it big, there's been hundreds of them. You all sound like jealous old farts. ;)

We must have different definitions of the word "big".

Has he played on any recordings that have sold? No.

Has he played on any tier-one tours? No.

Here are some people that have made it big: Danny Carey, Neil Peart, Chad Smith, Simon Phillips, Dave Weckl, Vinne Colaiuta, Carter Beauford ...

See the difference?

As far as jealousy, give me a break. If I wanted some "mediocre musician" kid to be jealous of it would be Justin Bieber. At least he has a fat bank account.

Did the members here not give accurate descriptions of his playing?

I saw many things mentioned about Caseys drumming that are not "opinion" or "accusations"....but, fact.

I mean, If I posted on here and asked "opinions" about my playing....I would want the community to be honest.
And with that honesty, I would listen to what these experienced players are saying because sometimes....you're not aware of issues until someone else points them out.
D
Those opinions or "critique" is what new drummers(started taking lessons in July) like myself take weekly lessons for-to help keep us focused and to point out when I am making errors and give me direction of what I need to work on. If I was to attempt to learn to play the drums just by watching youtube videos, I would have either given up on the drums and sold the kit or still trying to get a basic beat down because my hands and feet don't want to work together. And I would not want my drum teacher to sugarcoat what mistakes I am making.

Curse you BO 3D3R DRUMM3R!

A good example of who you cite are the many sessions musicians. All the super talented but unseen folks whose names appear only in credits. Sadly, they too may slowly be getting replaced by sampled sounds and midi.

I really hope drummers are not truly getting replaced with sampled sounds and midi because there is nothing like having the pulse of the drums being played live.

I actually read this whole thread too.

First, I personally have no interest in youtube covers, and it's been a while (when this thread
first came around) since I checked out some of the cooperdrummer videos. So I believe
I'm not biased at all in either way.

As most have said too, I was impressed by the mature, eloquent and professional way
Casey chimed in "his" thread.

Then, as the thread went on, surprisingly almost all responses stayed or even got more
negative, almost all people seem to try to put down what he does. Honestly I don't really
get why. I really don't care about his thing, so it doesn't bother me at all. Also he as a person
doesn't bother me at all either, because he seems to be a friendly, hard working guy who
knows what he wants, knows what he can do (and what he can't), and has success. Many
older musicians don't seem to get that nowadays a "career" in youtube is a career, too, as
though it doesn't fit the traditional picture of career-making anymore.

As for Casey, I for myself am equally impressed with ALL of his replies - I mean COME ON,
even criticize him for replying numerous times is ridiculous, isn't it? He never got
personal or cheap, or insulting. Granted, noone did I think, but it's obvious that he or
what he does gets attacked from all around. We all know many forum members who just
needed one guy that picked on them, and they got all upset, personally attacked, and thus
started to behave in a way the Mods could easily banned them (and did so rightly). It really
seems now that some guys - who I otherwise know as positive, friendly, helping members -
can't back off and kind of wait for Casey to turn around, for things to get uglier, and for the
ban hammer to strike.

Again, I'm not "for" or "against" one or the other, I have nothing whatsoever against Casey
and what he does, just no interest. And I have nothing against the discussion, as I think some
points are very valid, and though hard, very true. But I do think this thread got very one-sided,
and I think people have to let it go. To me it really looks that now everybody's
trying to find new reasons and thoughts to hold against him. If I got criticized that much, I'd
want to defend myself, too. Who wouldn't?

Just to give it another perspective... Maybe it's one for the unpopular opinion thread...!?

I really hope drummers are not truly getting replaced with sampled sounds and midi because there is nothing like having the pulse of the drums being played live.

Well, in reality, this was a real threat back in the 80s when MIDI hit and drum machines became viable alternatives to having a human play actual drums. Thanks to the grunge movement, I think we've cured ourselves of "over-technology". But, technology is still used today, but more in conjunction with real instruments. I think it's become painfully apparent when electric drums are being used these days (no matter how good they get) - but it's still the name of the game that it's expensive to record a real drummer when you don't really have a budget to begin with!

I really liked how Stewart Copeland back in the days of The Police utilized drum machines - they would let the drum machine play through the song and then he would come in later to overdub real drums. Just like the adults ;)

Samples and sequencing is WAY off topic in this thread, and has been discussed at length elsewhere.

Let's stay on the Mike/Casey topic.

I saw many things mentioned about Caseys drumming that are not "opinion" or "accusations"....but, fact.

I mean, If I posted on here and asked "opinions" about my playing....I would want the community to be honest.
And with that honesty, I would listen to what these experienced players are saying because sometimes....you're not aware of issues until someone else points them out.

Do I get defensive and rattle off a bunch of things that I'm doing that has NOTHING to do with my playing? Or, do I listen and try to correct the things other "experienced" players are seeing that maybe I'm not?

Nobody is immune to flaws....not me, not Vinnie, not Buddy and certainly not Casey.

The advice ( and criticism) I receive about my own playing from drummers around the world ( and this very forum) has done wonders for my playing...and, that ads up to much more than a few pennies from "million of views". (which I've had on several videos)

D

Hey Derek,

It's an honor to have you here on this thread. I appreciate your logical and thought out response and enjoy your awesome playing.
I'd like to make sure you understand that I am in no way being defensive about the issues with my playing. I respect the input from those who know more than I do and I appreciate an outsider's critique on the playing, especially from someone as skilled and knowledgeable as yourself. The only problems I have with were this thread and the things I got defensive about in order to clear them up were the attacks and critique of things OTHER than the playing. Members of this forum trying to bend my words in order to make it look or sound as if I don't care about getting better and that I'm some arrogant kid who thinks he's better than everyone because people like my videos. That is all I care about in terms of image. I may not be the most technically talented player on the planet (and as Bermuda eloquently stated about "amazing drummers," I too am quick to remind people in my videos (where I speak) and in person that I am nowhere near the "amazing" that those names are. BUT I also recognize that everyone has their own definition and whether we feel we are amazing ourselves, or not, people will see "amazing" in different lights in conjunction with their own ideas of the word and what they like about our playing/personality/work ethic/etc etc etc), but one thing I know that I am is in a position where people (mostly young and impressionable kids) look up to me for advice and inspiration and the LAST thing I want is for them to read someone skewing my words in a way that seems to promote anything other than hard work, practice, and an attitude that wants to get better, loves to play and loves to help others and be a positive addition to the world. That is the only reason I continued to "defend" those aspects of what I do in an attempt to insure those that read this thread do not get the wrong ideas that multiple members were attempting to create.

Anyway, thanks again for chiming in. It's awesome to see guys like yourself taking the time to add to the conversation.

Cooper

Last edited:
I could also participate in gorilla ad campaigns that pay much, much higher dividends,

We had to cut back on gorilla marketing with the endangered species act and all. The dividends were good while it lasted.

Hey I'm not an experience drummer, play as a hobby, but has always had a passion for the drums, young man you rock those drums! I can say at 53 you have share some very good information on the tube. KEEP IT UP and I hope you are playing for or with artist or groups. To me you are that good.

Hey everyone,
I just finished publishing a video about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R on Youtube). I was curious what you all thought about him, his drumming technique and style.

I personally love listening to his covers, but I'm curious what you all think.

PS. the video can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQrvZjhnHI

I don't know how I managed to stumble on this thread, but I found it pretty amusing. The merits of Youtube careers aside, here's how I would answer the original question:

Technique: Needs to loosen up. It gives me muscle pains just watching him play. He can get away with it while he's young, but his awkward technique is going to catch up to him. I would be shocked if he didn't develop carpal tunnel or tennis elbow down the road playing the way he does.

Style: Two things immediately jumped out at me. First, I don't hear any dynamics. Everything is turned up to 10. The second thing I noticed was from his video playing a Christmas song with a full band. The drumming was extremely distracting. It was clear that it was more important to "stand out" and get noticed than to make the band sound good. Rather than playing with the band (and complimenting the song), he was playing on top of the band. It was like listening to a Dream Theater drum track mixed into a Rolling Stones song.

Is he a good drummer? Sure. With technique improvements and more musicality, he could be a great drummer.

I'm not sure if this has already been brought up in this thread but it's 5 pages so I'm not reading all that but has anybody seen his firestick cover? That one deserves props for being creative.

Hey everyone,
I just finished publishing a video about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R on Youtube). I was curious what you all thought about him, his drumming technique and style.

I personally love listening to his covers, but I'm curious what you all think.

PS. the video can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQrvZjhnHI

I will try and be completely objective. I think in most of his songs he overplays which you can get away with on Basket Case by Green Day, a song I used to play live myself, but on songs like Still into you by Paramore it just does not work and one should take a less is more approach. Back in Black as a song works so well as the drumming is simple and it just gives the song more space. He, Casey, puts some interesting fills in but some which would be more at home in the Lita Ford song Run with the Money. A little nod to some great fills by Randy Castillo there.

I would say listen hard to the original pick out what the actual drummer is playing and then change if you wish because on the Bonham song Fool in the Rain the bass drum is not exactly in the right place and there is a reason Bonham plays it like that and it is because it works. Bonham rarely plays 1 and 3 so listen out for the e and and would be my advice on that one.

Therefore pay respect to the original and take it from there. Sometimes I feel that respect has not been given but then by nature I am more nerdy when it comes to picking out drum parts and like to understand exactly what is happening in the original song so maybe I am too far the other way but when I play Good Times Bad Times I want to pay respect to Bonham by at least attempting his parts even if I do not have the feel.

Keep up the drumming but learn when to show restraint. I picked that tip from Randy Castillo and it just cemented in my head what Cozy Powell said when making Slide it in with Whitesnake. Listen to what other drummers say as they are often worth listening to :)

Hey Derek,

It's an honor to have you here on this thread. I appreciate your logical and thought out response and enjoy your awesome playing.
I'd like to make sure you understand that I am in no way being defensive about the issues with my playing. I respect the input from those who know more than I do and I appreciate an outsider's critique on the playing, especially from someone as skilled and knowledgeable as yourself. The only problems I have with were this thread and the things I got defensive about in order to clear them up were the attacks and critique of things OTHER than the playing. Members of this forum trying to bend my words in order to make it look or sound as if I don't care about getting better and that I'm some arrogant kid who thinks he's better than everyone because people like my videos. That is all I care about in terms of image. I may not be the most technically talented player on the planet (and as Bermuda eloquently stated about "amazing drummers," I too am quick to remind people in my videos (where I speak) and in person that I am nowhere near the "amazing" that those names are. BUT I also recognize that everyone has their own definition and whether we feel we are amazing ourselves, or not, people will see "amazing" in different lights in conjunction with their own ideas of the word and what they like about our playing/personality/work ethic/etc etc etc), but one thing I know that I am is in a position where people (mostly young and impressionable kids) look up to me for advice and inspiration and the LAST thing I want is for them to read someone skewing my words in a way that seems to promote anything other than hard work, practice, and an attitude that wants to get better, loves to play and loves to help others and be a positive addition to the world. That is the only reason I continued to "defend" those aspects of what I do in an attempt to insure those that read this thread do not get the wrong ideas that multiple members were attempting to create.

Anyway, thanks again for chiming in. It's awesome to see guys like yourself taking the time to add to the conversation.

Cooper

I like what you have said here but I have to say as a teenager I was that arrogant kid. I thought once I could play Sex Pistols songs I was the business but overtime I realised I wanted to get better so went to a teacher and did all the stuff I thought was boring when I first started playing but I was in a band 6 weeks after buying my first kit. No one is going to be Brooks Wackerman with that level of practice. I think it is great that you have children looking up to you and please note my comments were about your drumming only. I have gone on to have a different career so my drumming career now is limited to meeting bands for jam sessions and playing Teenage Kicks, All the small things and Pretty Vacant and annoying my neighbours but keep up your playing and don't worry about being the most technical. I realised a long time ago you do not have to be Josh Freeze to make it. Look at Tre Cool he is a good solid drummer but he does not half the technique that some of the chaps in here have. I would say concentrate on playing in time and working with the song. That is what my drum teacher told me when I was flying in fills which were not required. He said you are not trying to show how well you can play you are accompanying the song.

What is my opinion of Casey? I think he's the best young drummer out there and I, even though I've only beat around on a set but can play a few songs, I look up to Cooper greatly as a HUGE inspiration. Keep on doin' what you're doin', Casey!! I'm behind ya 100000000% and a lifelong fan forever!!!!

From what I've seen of him, I've never seen anything impressive. He's mostly just playing very simple beats with extreme amounts of arm movement (if I played like him, my arms would probably fall off from that kind of pressure).

I've realy only ever seen him do semi-quaver fills. He lacks a lot of feel and IMO I got sick of his playing very quickly

Back