Stick Grip Product

Well as luck would have it, one of the engineers here at the hospital gave me an old pyrex, 50 cc beaker, about 8 inches tall and an inch in diameter. I will put some of the Plastik Dip in the beaker and try another pair, just to see if something that narrow will work. But all in all so far I am pleased with how this little DIY project turned out. I wasn't in the market for producing a product for public use but only to try it for myself and pass along my results with my fellow drumming brethern.

DMG I will take your final comment as a compliment since thats all this experiment was intended to do. Drum on.

Well it has been a month since I started this little DIY project and to date nothing negative to report. No peeling, or cracking, or dropped sticks. I have been able to do ride playing with just my thumb and middle finger on the stick and not one bit of slip. And there have been no blisters. I will admit that I am not a hard or heavy player nor do I do a lot of rim shots. I would assume rim shots would be on that part of the sticks that are covered in the Plasti Kote product. I was even able to do some cross-sticking and get a sound not much unlike a nude stick. All in all I feel that this was a success and well worth the time and money spent. I covered about 8 pair of sticks, maybe more, and still had product left in the can. If this helped anyone other than myself then I am pleased. If you haven't tried it give it a try if you would like. Be able to control the thickness by the number of coats dipped, and how far up the stick to put the product seemed more advantageous to me than buying sticks already dipped by the manufacturer. Peace.

very cool. I think i will have to try this as well. I recently read that now ProMark now has a special coating on one of their sticks that is supposed to enhance grip. I dont know anything about it but it does not look like the dip that you are using or that zildjian uses.

I would bet that what they are using is a bit more dilute and thinner than what I used. I'm going to see what is used to thin this product and try a pair or two with a thinner coat. Way back in the day I use to sand down my new sticks to get the slick off, but I'll try this for a bit longer and see.

UPDATE...Well friends its been two months since I started this thread and I will report that I have been using a set of 5A and one set of Vater 7A Manhattan and there has been no cracking, peeling, or chipping of the product and no blisters or injuries to report. All in all a good idea I think if anyone else would care to try. Thanks.

UPDATE...Well friends its been two months since I started this thread and I will report that I have been using a set of 5A and one set of Vater 7A Manhattan and there has been no cracking, peeling, or chipping of the product and no blisters or injuries to report. All in all a good idea I think if anyone else would care to try. Thanks.

ill try it.

what i did before was use electical pvc tape which is good, and cheap but then i used tennis racket grip tape and aint leavin home without it.

Additionally i do the billy ward style hump thing with layers of the electrical tape underneath the tennis grip tape..actually a 4 finger custom grip. Its really comfortable and i definately play better.

That looks similar to a product that I'm going to be adding to Handidrummed. The owner emailed me the other day www.drumstickstuff.com Although I think it's more expensive than the stuff that you bought. But I don't know if there are any differences in its feel or durability.

That is similar but twice the price I paid for what I used. It is water based though so that may be to some advantage as far as cleanup.

That is similar but twice the price I paid for what I used. It is water based though so that may be to some advantage as far as cleanup.

Yeah, and like I said, there may be differences in feel and how it bonds to the stick. I should ask him the differences between his product and the one you're using.

Its been since March and I have just retired my first pair of sticks with the blue coating on them. In fact it started to peel where my fingers rubbed on the front edge. I took an exacto knife and slit the material length-wise and it came off in one clean piece ready to be coated again. So for 5 months playing every single day for about 2 hours this product held up very well. Thanks for reading.

I've seen stuff like this before, but I was afraid that it would cause blisters - much like the zildjian dip sticks........

I'm sure it would work for most though, I might even try it....

Ya iv seen similar products at the hardware store but i was worried it would cause madass blisters like the zildgian dips do to my hand

Just noticed this, sorry. It did start to peel back where my fingers rested on the front most area. I took an exacto knife and ran it around the circumference of the stick and made a new edge. I need to make the area larger so that the end spot is not where my fingers rest, in other words further toward the tip. But the end of the stick and middle is still there. I have done a few more pairs since that first batch since I am trying other size sticks.

I like that idea. A dipping I will go. Look out keys, here I come.

Great idea Shane....Here you go.

Not only do they protect the drums if dropped, they are also much easier to hold. Especially for us old dudes with bad hands.

And Rob I may suggest it for some disadvantaged or special needs drummers.

Attachments

• PC120020.JPG
    PC120020.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,362
  • PC120022.JPG
    PC120022.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,352
Last edited:
Thanks. This stuff looks just right. Or the stuff from Stickstuff. I play fairly hard and I sweat and that combined with the usual stresses of live playing . . . this ought to do the trick.

And no effect on weight or balance of the stick?

Back