Eric Moore's crazy fills.....

That was illegal and you are under arrest.
I suggest that you turn yourself in.
Nice stuff and thanks for posting it.

Hi.... I'm posting this from my jail cell... thanks a lot buddy....
Any ideas what he was playing? My brain sort of turn of jello after listening to it a couple of times

Way to much stuff in there to answer such an open-ended question. It's all modern-gospel linear 16th and triplet hand foot stuff - pretty simple when you break it down slow but it's just all practiced to such a fast speed and tight feel. Maybe pick out your favorite fill or groove section? Narrow it down to one fill or one 3-5 second section, and someone might be able to help you out. Otherwise - just slow it down so you can pick apart his sticking and orchestration.

And just a tip - most of this type of stuff breaks down to about a half-dozen different basic linear patterns that are just orchestrated dozens of different ways, so that once you crack the first few patterns, it's just about redistributing it around the kit (same pattern, different sounds) - and of course playing them a million times over so you can improvise freely and still maintain your feel.

Your original assumption is not that far off, it's just linear patterns being played all over the place. The tip Toby gives is pretty much the key, once you get the basic patterns down, you'll see that even the most complex ones are still just different combinations of more basic ideas, one that's easy to get going and can give you that "crazy out of time" illusion is KRL KLR, mess around with that and put it wherever you like.

Amongst other things there are two very simpe and basic fills he does, but does them very well ( and very fast ). They are;

R-L-R- K and R-L-R- K-K. He takes these two ideas and smokes them around the kit.

good things to learn.

PS- you could also go L-R-L-K.. etc etc

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys.....
Here are some the fills that sound great and it's seems to me that the patterns are fairly simple however..... i can't seem to get them hahaa

the fills at:
0:20 - 0:25
1:17 - 1:24
1:55 - 2:00

I'm sure even knowing the patterns for these three fills is enough to make anyone sound epic.
I'm still getting used to asking questions on this message board so sorry about the really open ended question.......

You might want to check out some of Mike Jonhston's lessons; he's really into this kind of stuff.

Fox.

What kind of technique is he use on hands? It kind of finger technique?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love fat guys with rippin' chops!!

Seriously though, Eric is alot of fun to watch.

Erics crazy fills?

Gary Chaffee books .... notably Linear Time PLaying, and Patterns vol. III...

....voiced around the kit at ridiculous speeds with precision

you can also check out a video Mike Johnston has on his site called Breaking It Down with Eric Moore

Eric plays some solos ....then Mike picks keys licks from the solos and breaks them down slowly for all to understand

good stuff

check it out

Wow, pretty tight.

I have to say - alot of these guys start sounding the same so I'm weary not to turn into one of these linear junkies, but I am slowly picking up some of this stuff.

Btw thanks Toe-Knee for reminding me I need that book!

Hello everyone! If anyone has the DVD called "Breaking It Down" (with Mike Johnston), could tell us please, what patterns Eric use more often... I want to buy this dvd, but is no more available... I know he uses 3132 pattern (in triplets) a lot... Thanks!

Does anyone know what patterns he's playing or is he just randomly hitting stuff in a linear fashion (which i doubt)?

I'm guessing that it's not exactly random, but I doubt that he plans these fills out ahead of time.

He's most likely got an extremely well-established toolkit of patterns, so he's able to trust himself that when he launches into a fill he will be able to pull it off and get himself out of it exactly on the downbeat (or in another suitable place).

Back