ProMark Rattler

TheIronCobr4

So on my way to my kind of local music store tomorrow I was thinking of pinking up one of these. I have a Sabian 20" HH Medium Ride, and I've really been interested lately in getting more bang for my buck out of my kit really. I want to start looking into ozone crashes, rivets, that Rhythm Tech Stickball, Hammerax Bellvines, etc. I just wanted your guys opinion on using the Rattler or things like it.

They seem like an interesting idea, but according to reviews on MF, if you hit one even once or twice, they're gone.

I've been thinking about getting one also. I saw a surf rock band play downtown and the drummer threw one on his ride and broke out the mallets for a slow song. Brilliant...

I'm kind of cheap though and I was actually pondering making my own out of a washer and some beaded chain from the hardware store.

I've used the same Rattler for years and never had a problem with it. I've hit it a few times and it's survived just fine. To my ears, it sounds best on thin rides and large crashes and has worked great live and in the studio. Perfect to add the extra character and versatility to a cymbal you love without drilling it.

I've used one off and on for a few years. They are much more sturdy than the MF reviews would have you believe. I've accidentally hit mine a few times and it works fine.

However, you could certainly make one yourself for less money.

I never liked the sound of beaded chain. I made a sizzler with 2 - 3/8" machine nuts and a length of string. The string is looped around the cymbal wingnut and I cut it to the exact length to keep my nuts right near the edge. Sounded really good. Of course you will get the purists who think rivets sound the best. But I thought the nuts made a perfectly useable sizzle sound.

I also did the same thing with a brass ball chaiin. I put a dab of Velcro on the cymbal washer, and wrapped the center of the chain with a bit of Velcro. It stays put and sounds very good.

If you are talking about the chain pulls for ceiling fans I am with you on this one. I picked up 6 ft of brass pull chain for $2 at Wal-Mart. That is enough to sizzle every cymbal in Guitar Center. I just loop it around the wing nut at the top of my stand for songs I want to use it on. It has a very delicate sound that does not get in the way.

I tried to like mine, but the problem I had was that the chain itself was just too heavy. When trying to play the cymbal lightly or with mallet swells, the chain prevented the cymbal from resonating and choked it out. I even trimmed mine quite a bit, but it's still a no-go. Now I'm on the lookout for a 22" flat K with rivets.

I bought a chain at the hardware store that is used for a bathtub stopper. It has a split ring on both ends so I cut it in half and put the split ring around the cymbal stand below the wing nut and it works great.

Last edited:
I took one of the strands off of my cabasa and hung it around the bell, same effect.
There's lots of things you can do to imitate the sound, no need to buy a rattler.

Back