Where to start?

mitch

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums, so I hope I'm doing this right haha.

I've been really interested in buying a drum kit the last few months. I asked my parents, and I found out I'd need an electronic drum kit, because they wouldn't stand the acoustic, which is fair enough, so I went to a billyhyde drum store and had a look around.

I think I found the kit that I like, the Yamaha DTXplorer, and we have a friend that works for yamaha, so I am able to get mates rates ( thank god :) ), so that seems like the kit that I will be purchasing.

But while we are waiting to see what price we can get for it I decided to just explore the internet on drums, and I found this site.

And I know you guys will have more of an idea then I do, so is the Yamaha DTXplorer a good decision?

Also, I am really interested in buying double bass pedals, and the cheapest I could find were Dixon Double Pedals for about $240.

But after reading a few threads I've realised I should probably save for:
DW 9000
Perl Eliminators
Iron Cobra.

Since just going cheap isn't usually a good idea.

Is this correct?

Thanks for any help :)

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums, so I hope I'm doing this right haha.

I've been really interested in buying a drum kit the last few months. I asked my parents, and I found out I'd need an electronic drum kit, because they wouldn't stand the acoustic, which is fair enough, so I went to a billyhyde drum store and had a look around.

I think I found the kit that I like, the Yamaha DTXplorer, and we have a friend that works for yamaha, so I am able to get mates rates ( thank god :) ), so that seems like the kit that I will be purchasing.

But while we are waiting to see what price we can get for it I decided to just explore the internet on drums, and I found this site.

And I know you guys will have more of an idea then I do, so is the Yamaha DTXplorer a good decision?

Also, I am really interested in buying double bass pedals, and the cheapest I could find were Dixon Double Pedals for about $240.

But after reading a few threads I've realised I should probably save for:
DW 9000
Perl Eliminators
Iron Cobra.

Since just going cheap isn't usually a good idea.

Is this correct?

Thanks for any help :)

If you are shopping at Hydes you will get the best discounts on Music Link imported gear such as Pearl, Remo, Zildjian and Roland.

There's nothing wrong with Dixon pedals. Especially as a first pedal. I would like to suggest that you begin with a single pedal. There is nothing as embarassing as a guy who can play twin kicks fast but is helpless on one. Note: DW and Iron Cobra pedals have a history of breaking. DW more than most.

The Roland kits are more advanced than Yammies and they offer new software that records your drumming in script form. They seem to be moving forward while Yamaha stands still. You can probably get a better deal on Roland through Allan's music. But Hyde might be able to match it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.
Yeh maybe it isn't such a bad idea just to learn on one pedal first haha.
Actually I think I'll just stick with one pedal for a while before trying two, I can just imagine how embarrassing that would be lol.
:)

if you start on single pedal and then later you want to upgrade, the Pearl Eliminator P-120 and P-120P has an add-on (located in the top left) for their single pedal to make it a double.

Yeah you gotta get good on a single pedal before going to a double. There's a lot of coordination and independance to get before doing a double pedal. I'm sure there are people out there with natural talent who can pick it up real quick, unfortunately I'm not one of them.
But I dont see a problem with getting a double pedal, and just not using the 2nd pedal until you're ready to use it. If you have to buy a pedal anyways, why not save up a little to get a good quality pedal that will last you a long time. I'm likely going to be buying a electronic kit soon myself, a Roland TD-9. And may be buying a new pedal for it. If I do, instead of using the one off my acoustic kit, I'll get a double pedal for $300 now, instead of a single pedal for $200 or so and having to upgrade later.

As for yamaha's kits, I dont really know anything about them. The store I goto only sells Roland electronic kits, but they are very nice. They use them in the drum lessons there, works great.

Back