John Densmore

D

doorstilend

hey guys what do you think about him he's best known as the doors drummer i searched him and found nothing i d like to state that john was always a jazz drummer, his passion was always jazz, you can hear a clear example in some doors tunes like break on through, riders on the storm, la woman and a lot more, he is influential to me and so many out there, welcome thoughts

Hello,

John Densmore is a jazz drummer with an unbeatable theatrical sensibility...The End, I like to play it on my drums!

All the Best,

John Densmore was the perfect drummer for the Doors. He was heavily influenced by jazz. He had a great groove and swung with ease. I read that he cited Elvin Jones as a big influence. The Doors not having a traditional bass player was great for john, it let him free up the feel of the songs. IMO John Densmore is a very under rated drummer who provided dynamic grooves to one of the greatest Rock bands ever.

I always thought of the Doors as a jam band which backed an occasionally sober poet/ sex icon, who sang out his poetry.

Krieger, Manzerak, and Densmore's greatest quality was in keeping the show going through Morrison's ' moments'.

They ad-libbed a lot of their live stuff, and for it to come out as good a it did deserves some kudos.

Densmore WAS a jazz player, and Elvin was a Jazz drum God in his lifetime, so it was natural for him to be Elvin-influenced.

I always thought of the Doors as a jam band which backed an occasionally sober poet/ sex icon, who sang out his poetry.

Krieger, Manzerak, and Densmore's greatest quality was in keeping the show going through Morrison's ' moments'.

They ad-libbed a lot of their live stuff, and for it to come out as good a it did deserves some kudos.

Densmore WAS a jazz player, and Elvin was a Jazz drum God in his lifetime, so it was natural for him to be Elvin-influenced.

Even better said...........

Well said, Ian.. a very fun song, though dark in lyrical content, always makes me smile when I hear it....Good stuff

Hello, Ian.

Thanks for your input, mate. The music of The Doors in some way was ahead for the era-time. The writer-poet William Blake wrote "When The Doors of perception are cleansed, man will truly see things as they are, infinite." That's how The Doors began their magical trip.

All the Best,

Hello, Ian.

"When The Doors of perception are cleansed, man will truly see things as they are, infinite."
All the Best,

I love W. Blake.... And yes those words I took to heart a little bit too seriously...Which explains my current mindset. and artwork like that of which I added to the "Other Talents" thread. I think my doors have been cleansed, and then re cleansed, and then stripped down to the bare minimum, eventually losing any weight-bearing structuralism, and then cleansed again, just to make sure that they were really "clean"... I think they re pretty clean btw...o_0

Edit: i dont hink this link works, sorry

Attachments

• trippy wall 002.mov
    3.5 MB · Views: 583
John Densmore was great. Just finished listening to Moonlight Drive and Peace Frog and now listening to The End.

Fantastic drummer and an inspiration. I wish more drummers played like him but times have changed ...

Modern Drummer did an article in the January 2010 edition on 14 reasons why to love JD. The article sites all of his best works with the doors. Very cool read!

I love the sound of John Densmore's ride in the song Riders On The Storm. To me it is a perfect example of a classic rock ride.

underated, but that never bothered him, he only ever worried about the music, short but good article in MD, didnt realize how heavily jazz influenced The Doors music, lights came on after learning this, that jazz influence gave the band such a unique voice, great drums, incredible music, hands down one of the greatest bands ever to take the stage...

Very tasty timkeeper indeed....................... Think i read somewhere how much he loved the Ludwig superphonic snare.Made me go out and find a older one,great drum.His Drumming style was like others said big time jazz influenced,it was more about his cymbal, hi hat, work that made him a pure joy to hear.For me the first the doors records are just off the cuff......Great drummer.........

One of the bands I work with is a Doors Tribute Band(RhodeHouse). I just love the drumming material lots of fun to play.....Break on Thru............Denis

I always loved John Densmore's playing in the Doors, it was a huge influence on me as a young drummer... Riders on the Storm, The End, and When the Music's Over are probably my favorite Doors tracks.

Back