How many guys (and gals) here met their significant other at a gig?

yammyfan

The title says it all. Raise your hand if you met your current (or past) girlfriend/wife at a gig.

For the ladies in the group, same question.

I'm curious because while I am gigging regularly these days, I'm busy before, during and after the show and not interacting with the audience as much as I thought I would. I don't know why I find that surprising, but I do!

Looking forward to your input.

Last edited:
Not specifically through a gig. I did meet my wife through a bandmate. I was in a band with her sister and then we met and hit it off at a Christmas party their parents host every year. We'll be going on 4 years this month.

Another friend, played in the same band with him met his wife through a gig we played at a local bar. My then girlfriend (now my wife) was out of town at a gig and I told him "I feel like talking to some girls, lets go find you a girlfriend." some years later, I told that story at their wedding.

In high school, my wife was dating the bass player in our band but liked me( didnt tell me at the time). She is 5 years younger so we didnt go to school together. 15 years later or so we ran into each other and eventually got married. Married since 2003.

As I'm the drummer, I don't get chicks, but my wife was a fan of the rock band I was in at the time. We knew each other by other school activities so in a round about way, I guess the gigs I played at the school is where we met.
28 years later, it's still brand new.

In 1981, I met a girl while doing a gig at an amusement park. She wasn't actually at the show, but I encountered her while walking through the gift shop she worked in. I asked her for a poster (for the gig) that was hanging in the window, she obliged, and we ended up going out for 6 or 7 years. (I kept the poster!)

Prior to that, I had met the girl that would later become my wife, but it wasn't in a music-related situation. No other significant meetings at gigs that I can think of.

Bermuda

Last edited:
Interesting observations. Thanks for your feedback.

I guess that I should not be surprised at the dearth of attention after a show. It really is like a work site after all!

Truthfully, I meet women at the clubs all the time but only if I'm hanging around after the show. Nine time out of ten they claim that they didn't even know that I was in the band.

Oddly, the GUYS recognize me and I get back slaps and fist bumps from them all the time. Must be one of those Mars/Venus things...

Yup that’s me....

In a galaxy far far way I once played a small gig in cafe / venue (can’t recall name) in Sate College, PA, using another bands entire back line including kit; thought the whole thing was a massive waste of my time, as there were at best 30 people present, nevertheless enjoyed not having to tear down and drive and so went to a different bar just down the street (the Dark Horse) for a pint or two. To my surprise I was approached by a gal who said she had seen me playing in the band earlier that night and asked if I wanted to share a pitcher of beer (larger) - let me think about that - yes please. To cut to the chase still Jamming with that same gal 16 yrs later.

Addition: I think what others have said in earlier posts is correct in that the amount of time “interacting” with the audience is really quite limited during 99% of my gigs as I am dealing with my band mates, promoters and equipment. This was just an odd gig that delivered in an unexpected way.

Last edited:
I was playing drums at my church, and my wife shortly thereafter joined the praise team. I guess you can count this as a "gig."

I actually met two of my (now ex-)girlfriends at gigs. With both, we kind of hit it off right away, but it still wasn’t until months later that we started dating. Both eventually ended, but those stories are saved for another day.

My wife and I didn’t meet at a gig, but she did introduce me to another musician that would eventually become the lead singer/guitarist for the band we formed with another member. Our band has been going strong for 6 years, and myself and the singer/guitarist are the only two original members.
I love the fact that she saw my desire to keep playing music, and she is very supportive.

IMO, it takes a very patient person to put up with a drummer’s gig/practice routine. My band plays quite a few shows until bar close, and she had to learn early on that sometimes we might not be able to leave until 2:30 AM (and I want to arrive at 8). I do my best to pack away quickly, but I can easily get sidetracked by a few fans that want to chat for a bit. She also knows that if I say “20 minutes until I’m done” to double the amount for a better estimate. After writing this out, I feel I need to be more appreciative, because she even offers to help with loading and some tear down.

Wow romance-true love. That's a great way to meet a significant other-my story is much more romantic though. I met my wife when I was lost trying to find the Biology Department at Georgia State University in mid 80s. I was wondering around and noted this young lady operating on a crayfish implanting electrodes to study their caudal photoreceptor-she looked at me annoyed and it was love at first sight. I asked the crayfish out repeatedly but she said no and sadly later died and was eaten in a crawdaddy boil by a bunch of grad students-so I ended up going out with her surgeon and we married. Yeah the Stones were right if you can't always get what you want you get what you need.

Back