used harware

CaptainSticks

how much would you guys think i can get for a used iron cobra double pedal (moderate cond.) and an axis AL longboard single pedal (good cond.) if i turn it into my "local"(1 hr drive) drum shop?

thanks
-Brendan

General rule of thumb when selling things to used gear places: What will THEY sell it for (what is it worth used--in the condition that it's in)? Figure that you'll get about one third of that.

Now, if you sell it for two thirds of what they'd sell it for, you'd get twice the money for it, and someone else would get a great deal on it! Think about it...

Sell it on Craigs list or eBay.

thats what i was thinking of doing, but can someone please tell me what i should sell each for...i was thinking around 200 or so for the iron cobra and 180 for the axis, but i dont know, this will be my first time to sell some of my gear.

Welcome to the Forum by the way, do some research on ebay itself look at what things are being priced at and then make your own determination of what you want...it is better than one of us telling you a price...after you see what things are going for how much do you want to set a reserve at? Or, do you even want to set a reserve...in that case how little are you willing to accept? Best in my opinion to go see for yourself.

Go on ebay and look for the items you have and what they are selling for, not what they listed for.
Watch the items and when the auction is over check the sale price.
That will give you a good idea.

okay thanks, im trying to get a new pedal now(that feels better) and when i sell these ill defiantly have enough. hopefully ill be able to get to a store soon and try the DW8000 or 9000 and compare it to the eliminator.

I went to my local (1 hr drive) drum shop with a moderate condition Iron Cobra double pedal just a few weeks ago. I hadn't cleaned it up yet (that was my mistake), but he still only offered me $50 trade for it. He had so many pedals in stock that he didn't think it would sell. In contrast, I also brought in a Tama hi hat stand that day, and the same guy gave me $50 for that. Why? Because he didn't have any good quality used hi hat stands in stock and knew it would sell.

I also brought a Paiste Sound Formula ride and a Sabian AAX 18" China. Even though he acknowledged that the Paiste is worth more, he still offered me more for the Sabian because he knew he didn't have a lot of die hard Paiste fans coming through his store.

So what matters is how easily something will sell in your "local" shop. Something that can sell fast will get more money for you. Something that won't... won't.

Your best bet is to sell on CL. I've got my IC on there now (after being cleaned, oiled, and generally overhauled) for $200. I've had a few nibbles, but it's still sitting on my shelf at home. If it doesn't sell by the end of the week, I may lower the price. I generally set the price about 10-25% higher than what I REALLY want, because then I have some wiggle room to negotiate down and still get the price I want (or better).

I picked up a Tama HP900PTW for $200 plus $20 shipping on ebay about two months ago. But I bought an Eliminator a week after so I tried selling the Tama on craigslist for $200 but noone would buy it. Luckily, someone offered a K Custom ride & A extra thin splash for it.
I say sell it on Craigslist & set your minimum price then add about $30 but make sure you say obo.

How used is your iron cobra? I paid 360 new for mine.

Back