Billy Ward here!

Hi Mike,

What you saw probably was a Shure KSM 141s.
That is a small diaphrgm mic that basically replaces the sm81. It is much smoother and can do omni as well as cardiod.
I would recommend you looking into a pair of the ksm137s - they are cardiod only version of the 141 that I use so often. Nice as a snare mic too in some applications.

They might be priced a bit above what you are looking to spend though - maybe a pair of those Octava small diaphragms? or may the MXLs sound OK? I don't know. Just edited to add this - Studio Projects mics are made in China, but that company is a very good company that understands audio and cares (it seems to me) more than most. You should check out their lineup and see if there is something there for you. There are so many brands in this price range it is numbing!

You might want to consider checking on evil-bay for a used pair of better mics than the current slew of chinese largge or small diaphrgms. If you buy better ones, then you will never question their abilities and can keep them forever!

ONce you get under around 400- per mic, I don't have first hand experience. Maybe someone else has some suggestions? look around.

Check out www.gearslutz.com. They have a "low end section" (meaning, not expensive!) and I think it is a great website/forum for recording.

Last edited:
Billy,

I believe a guy you might know out in KC is going to trade me a DW cast aluminum snare ya signed for him. Not sure if you did any recording in his studio or not. Guy by the name of Alex Austyn I believe. Just sent him a cherry snare I built and he's itching for this new Magnesium snare I just finished lol He sent me a list of snares he had for trade and the one you signed happened to be on there. Actually... if I could get your opinion on something that'd be great. If you've got the time to try something new shoot me an email: [email protected]

-Tim

Last edited:
Billy,

I believe a guy you might know out in KC is going to trade me a DW cast aluminum snare ya signed for him. Not sure if you did any recording in his studio or not. Guy by the name of Alex Austyn I believe. Just sent him a cherry snare I built and he's itching for this new Magnesium snare I just finished lol He sent me a list of snares he had for trade and the one you signed happened to be on there. Actually... if I could get your opinion on something that'd be great. If you've got the time to try something new shoot me an email: [email protected]

-Tim

Hi Tim -

Well, if I signed it, then it must be a DW aluminum - either a 14X5 or a 13X5. the 13" is my siggy snare. I love it. The 14 is Abe Laboriel Jr.'s siggy snare. You can't miss with either one. Great drum! let me knwo how it turns out for you!

-Bw

Well...to be honest I don't know much about you so I'll just say hi! so: Hi!
BUT...I will learn about you! I've heard a lot about you so I'm ready to learn.

ok. that was a waste of server space but oh well I'm in a friendly mood today

Hi Tim -

Well, if I signed it, then it must be a DW aluminum - either a 14X5 or a 13X5. the 13" is my siggy snare. I love it. The 14 is Abe Laboriel Jr.'s siggy snare. You can't miss with either one. Great drum! let me knwo how it turns out for you!

-Bw

Yep.. 13x5 aluminum in black. We're going to swap just as soon as I've got this new drum ready for him. I'm corrupting him into a new snare material muahahaha.. Looking forward to hearing the DW though, would be the first I've owned since I have always been one to try out smaller companies first.

Yep.. 13x5 aluminum in black. We're going to swap just as soon as I've got this new drum ready for him. I'm corrupting him into a new snare material muahahaha.. Looking forward to hearing the DW though, would be the first I've owned since I have always been one to try out smaller companies first.

Hmm - I've never seen it in black - only natural! If it really is aluminum, then you have possibly a one of a kind-
Great Snare drum! It can tune high, but try tuning it more in the middle to low... nasty!

I just picked up a 13x5 Steel snare from GC for $60. I got it mainly as a practice snare and for quieter gigs, and because I have a pile of new 13" heads, but no 13" drums anymore.... but I'm really starting to like it. I'm only playing it with a t-shirt on it as a muffle and haven't tuned the mud out of it, but its got potential. I haven't seen your siggy snare, but I'm certainly game for trying it out. Isn't the Steve Gadd siggy similar? Why do you prefer aluminum over other materials?

[plug] re: smaller companies ... check out Allegra if you get a chance. I've never been a fan of open jazz tuning, but the Allegra drumsets sound absolutely awesome tuned completely open. Solid tone, warm with lots of character. [/plug]

Hiya folks -
drummerchick - I have a website at www.billyward.com You can find all kinds of lies there! :D

Hi John. I am unfamiliar with Steve's snare drum. Aluminum is something you will see alot of studio guys enjoying because it is dry, but has plenty of honk or bonk if you want that as well. Not as ringy as brass. I hope this helps. and yeah, there are a lot of small manufacturers out there these days and lots of great drums are being made! That's really a good thing!

clinic tour-

I'm not sure if this should be posted here or elsewhere, but I am doing a five city in five days clinic tour in the eastern US beginning May 23.
Details are here: www.billyward.com
If any of you are coming, please let me know -

Re: clinic tour-

I'm not sure if this should be posted here or elsewhere, but I am doing a five city in five days clinic tour in the eastern US beginning May 23.
Details are here: www.billyward.com
If any of you are coming, please let me know -

Hey Billy - Rob from Handidrummed here again. I may be able to get to the one in Natick, MA, as I'm in MA too, but it's alittle bit of a drive. If I'm able to make it I'll let you know.

Hey Billy - Rob from Handidrummed here again. I may be able to get to the one in Natick, MA, as I'm in MA too, but it's alittle bit of a drive. If I'm able to make it I'll let you know.

HI Rob - well, I FINALLY signed your guestbook at your website! My apologies for it taking so long.
Have you read the Slogg Blog in my forum? this guy is absolutely amazing us with his spirit as he deals with cancer! It's kind of up your alley...
best
BW

HI Rob - well, I FINALLY signed your guestbook at your website! My apologies for it taking so long.
Have you read the Slogg Blog in my forum? this guy is absolutely amazing us with his spirit as he deals with cancer! It's kind of up your alley...
best
BW

I just saw that, thanks alot Billy. As always, I really appreciate your support of the site.

Yes I have read the Slogg Blog but not in a while. I'll have to check up on it. He's an amazing guy.

Thanks again Billy. I hope to meet up with you at the GC Clinic in Natick on the 23rd.

Hey, Billy this is Sam from your own forum.

I have a question about the Big Time dvd. Well, your bassdrum-sound actually.

Recently I've tried the mic setup that you use. It's great.

The only thing I don't seem to get is that supernice meaty kicksound. It's a 'thick' sounding sound with sooooo much bottom end. And with your small kit (those short stack dw's) you also get that great 'doennnnng' sound.
Is that a typical sound for that beta91 (that pzm mic)? I've heard that mic is great for picking up the sound inside the bassdrum.
I find that sound has soooo much bottom end, but yes is controllable.

Help me out here.

All the best

Sam

The only thing I don't seem to get is that supernice meaty kicksound. It's a 'thick' sounding sound with sooooo much bottom end. And with your small kit (those short stack dw's) you also get that great 'doennnnng' sound. Is that a typical sound for that beta91 (that pzm mic)? I've heard that mic is great for picking up the sound inside the bassdrum.

Based on no experience and knowledge whatsoever, I'd say that the woofer might contribute to this.

...or, I could just shut up and let the maestro do the talking. :)

Based on no experience and knowledge whatsoever, I'd say that the woofer might contribute to this.

...or, I could just shut up and let the maestro do the talking. :)

Yes, I know. But in the first part of the dvd ... with his short stack dw's. He doesn't use a woofer. Let's listen what the maestro has to say! :D

I'm about to sell those short stacks for charity (AIDS) - probably on evilbay. I'll try to keep you guys in touch with that when it happens. If in doubt, check my website - it will definitely be posted over there.

Those short stacks have a more meaty sustain because they have such short shells. Contrary to popular opinion, a shorter shell will have far more sustain than a longer shell.

Re: the miking thing and bass drum sound. i think what Sam is describing is mostly, (first) the drum sound itself. That 12 X 20 bass drum is awesome. The mic probably ahs the least to do with the sound. the meaty sustain and focus of the kick sound is probaboly more from my compression on that channel than anything else. Daking compressor - pricey, but the best tracking limiter I've ever used. I have five of them. Also, the room that was recorded in has a very good/happy bottom end. all of these things are factors.

Thanks guys -
B

DW, i knew it! Thank god i have some! :D

Daking has some super gear, at a really good price. I'm thinking about buying myself 6 channels of Daking pre's. 2 Mic/EQ pre's and 1 IV pre. Straight into pro tools.

May i ask what your gigging kit consists of? (i mean sizes in particular)

Back