Boston marathon explosions

This is one reason, the main reason, that I avoid crowds. You just never know when someone will decide to disrupt many lives with harm and evil.

Now living in Boston, about 10 blocks from the finish line...the whole city was turned upside down yesterday. My heart and prayer goes out to the family of the child, and to each one who's lost life, limb, and love on this day. I had friends that I waited for hours to find out if they were okay.

Last edited:
Now living in Boston, about 10 blocks from the finish line...the whole city was turned upside down yesterday. My heart and prayer goes out to the family of the child, and to each one who's lost life, limb, and love on this day. I had friends that I waited for hours to find out if they were okay. We have some mortal enemies, that is for sure. As a nation, our actions and reactions haven't always been the most appropriate, including the incidental killing of many children in this mess. So we've created sworn enemies through this. And that doesn't count the ones who hated us from the jump.

We are deemed guilty by these people, even if we didn't sign off on the actions of our government. I'm not particularly conspiracy-oriented, nor anti-democrat, nor anti-republican-none of that-I'm not a peace-nik either, but I think we jumped the gun on the "shock and awe" campaign, losing the favor of a world, that just prior to our retaliations, had nothing but compassion for us, the victims. Couldn't we have done that better?

What about the drones? I don't know about this stuff, but in some cases, aren't we somewhat randomly killing people in the Middle East? If someone's really informed on these things and isn't representing a political agenda, can they tell us about what's up? I just wish there could be a discussion among the common people which could determine our course of actions, instead of our decisions being announced to us after the fact. We're inextricably entangled in this now, and we're gonna need some gurus to get us out of it.(some exquisitely crafted solid shell beauties).

To start with, I dont think its clear yet whether this is indeed a terrorist attack. Fox news, NY Post and a very large section of the media are being irresponsibly presumtous, imo. They did the same thing at the time of the Oklahoma killings too. Everybody saw 4 arabs... etc etc

Lets wait and see what FBI has to say in the next few days...

I think your post is very introspective and deeply thoughtful. If more people understood that the 'people' everywhere are fine and its the political and econmic 'agendas' that prompt our actions to be sub-human, this might be a better planet to hang out on.Today it sucks.

Last edited:
To start with, I dont think its clear yet whether this is indeed a terrorist attack. Fox news, NY Post and a very large section of the media are being irresponsibly presumtous, imo. They did the same thing at the time of the Oklahoma killings too. Everybody saw 4 arabs... etc etc

Lets wait and see what FBI has to say in the next few days...

I think your post is very introspective and deeply thoughtful. If more people understood that the 'people' everywhere are fine and its the political and econmic 'agendas' that prompt our actions to be sub-human, this might be a better planet to hang out on.Today it sucks.

Goodness sake Aydee! I cut it all off cuz I thought it might not be appropriate for this thread. So I started a new thread with it, but you caught it in between. Thanks very much. This surely is a time to be thoughtful. Please come to the new thread and offer some Aydee wisdoms...

...I started a new thread with it, but you caught it in between. Thanks very much. This surely is a time to be thoughtful. Please come to the new thread and offer some Aydee wisdoms...

So I go to your new thread and write out a looong , almost-as-thoughtful a post, and as soon as I hit the submit button - POOF!

Maybe the topic was too edgy, but I did manage to stay within the rules.. just so that you know : )

RIP- young Martin RIchard.

I'm on an Amtrak train about a half hour out from Boston, for a business trip. The office I am going to is only 2 blocks from the explosions. This should be interesting.

So I go to your new thread and write out a looong , almost-as-thoughtful a post, and as soon as I hit the submit button - POOF!
Happened to me a few times in the past. In case of longer posts - best to prepare your text in a separate editor, just in case... And those cases DID happen to me.

I'm on an Amtrak train about a half hour out from Boston, for a business trip. The office I am going to is only 2 blocks from the explosions. This should be interesting.

You definitely couldn't drive in yesterday and some of the green lines were closed. But good luck!

QUOTE: originally posted by Aydee:
"So I go to your new thread and write out a looong , almost-as-thoughtful a post, and as soon as I hit the submit button - POOF!

Maybe the topic was too edgy, but I did manage to stay within the rules.. just so that you know : )"

Thank you for that! And God Bless Martin Richard...

I'd like to think there could be a forum where the majority could participate in, present their point, and others present theirs, agreeing to disagree, without disrupting the discussion. And if someone's way off or just wants to hear themselves talk, the majority says huh-uh by simply putting up the time-out sign. But I honor Bermuda's action, because he is probably right.

Last edited:

I assume you mean a jihadist related terror attack. No evidence of that yet but this is clearly an act of terrorism regardless of the motives or the people involved.

To put a different angle on it, the people who are building and detonating these bombs...What would satisfy them? What would make them "self stop" the killing of innocent civilians? What is their real goal? What is their desired outcome?

I don't know, but just guessing, do they want everyone to drop their beliefs and subscribe to their religion? Is that the end they desire?

Humor me here, just say everyone converted to the same religion as the bombers. Would that stop the bombings? Something inside tells me no, but what do I know...

To put a different angle on it, the people who are building and detonating these bombs...What would satisfy them? What would make them "self stop" the killing of innocent civilians? What is their real goal? What is their desired outcome?

I don't know, but just guessing, do they want everyone to drop their beliefs and subscribe to their religion? Is that the end they desire?

Humor me here, just say everyone converted to the same religion as the bombers. Would that stop the bombings? Something inside tells me no, but what do I know...

To quote a line fron I think the second Batman movie "some men would set the world on fire,just to watch it burn".I can tell you for certain,that after over 20 years on the job...those men DO exist.

It's tough to discuss the causality without invoking the R word,which is against the rules,and rightfully so.Sufice to say that these things do happen when common sense and humanity,takes a back seat to rage,hate and extreme fundimentalism.That encompasses ALL people and not just those of different locations and belief systems

That was the basis of my anti-terrorism training,which included both forgein and domestic threats.There will always be a group or even a single person that believe so strongly in an idea,that they believe they must make a statement for all the world to see.

This isn't a new idea,buy its just become more prevelant in modern times.All you need is 1 guy who is a true believer,a bomb,and the desire to inflict as much damage as possible.Asemetrical warfare can bring whole army's to their knees.

We don't as countries ,stand toe to toe and duke it out any more.You clearly knew your enemy.

Not now.Sun Tzu knew this when he wrote the "Art of War" when he said that you "must fight the enemy where he isn't'

We as a world society, are severely in need of a paradigm shift.

Steve B

We as a world society, are severely in need of a paradigm shift.

Steve B

Steve, if you could wave a magic wand and have your way, what way would that be? Can you more clearly define the paradigm shift you speak of? I'm in agreement with you, but am looking for more specifics.

This is one reason, the main reason, that I avoid crowds. You just never know when someone will decide to disrupt many lives with harm and evil.

That's utterly irrational. Avoid crowds because they're stinky and annoying, sure... But because there's a 1 in 800 million chance some idiot might blow things up? Really? Don't do that to yourself.

Martin Richard, the child who died, has a sister in the hospital who has lost a leg, and his mother is undergoing brain surgery. There is a girl in the hospital who probably doesn't even yet know that both of her legs are gone.

Steve, if you could wave a magic wand and have your way, what way would that be? Can you more clearly define the paradigm shift you speak of? I'm in agreement with you, but am looking for more specifics.

The basic tenents and concept taught by a single man over 2000 years age.Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Love your fellow man.Period.Simple and basic.We all do the best to just get along,and do whatever you want as long as your actions,cause no harm to come to others.

It dosen't have to complicated.If I want to believe that after I die,my soul goes to a garage in Buffalo,then so be it.

Just respect everyones beliefs,and don't blow me up because I think differently that you.

Vulcan philosophy.Infinite possibities equals infinite diversity.We don't need organized belief systems to know right from wrong.

Just plain old respect.

Steve B

I'll never understand how anyone could ever think that random acts of violence would ever accomplish anything. The mindsets of these kind of people are just sick and disturbing.

My heart really goes out to all the victims of this senseless crime, especially to the family whose 8yo son was killed. I think we all need to say a little prayer today for everyone that was there.

I'll never understand how anyone could ever think that random acts of violence would ever accomplish anything. The mindsets of these kind of people are just sick and disturbing.

My heart really goes out to all the victims of this senseless crime, especially to the family whose 8yo son was killed. I think we all need to say a little prayer today for everyone that was there.

It's not the violence, it's our reaction that does the damage. Look how much security, privacy, and constitutional rights are being trampled as a result of other "terror" operations. It's sickening that we allow this. We give them the power.

The basic tenents and concept taught by a single man over 2000 years age.Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Love your fellow man.Period.Simple and basic.We all do the best to just get along,and do whatever you want as long as your actions,cause no harm to come to others.

It dosen't have to complicated.If I want to believe that after I die,my soul goes to a garage in Buffalo,then so be it.

Just respect everyones beliefs,and don't blow me up because I think differently that you.

Vulcan philosophy.Infinite possibities equals infinite diversity.We don't need organized belief systems to know right from wrong.

Just plain old respect.

Steve B

Big, large, non-aligned, unconditional thumbs up on this one.

It's not the violence, it's our reaction that does the damage. Look how much security, privacy, and constitutional rights are being trampled as a result of other "terror" operations. It's sickening that we allow this. We give them the power.

It's still a violent act of terrorism in my mind no matter how you put it.

Back