Gibraltar Tubes

vxla

Silver Member
I've got a Gibraltar rack with a whole bunch of the long and short boom arms (SC-LBBT and SC-SBBT). It's a real disappointment to see that the vertical tubes that connect to the rack bend so easily. I only tighten my hardware to the point of securely holding things together, and I've got bent tubes. Also, I have indentations on my rack...although I don't over-tighten anything on it, there's obviously a point where you need to tighten down clamps to hold toms in place (even using double memory collars)!

Anyone else have problems like this? It's a real disappointment...I think Gibraltar's quality has always been stellar, but maybe they're just using cheaper materials now (thinner tubes) to cut costs and keep prices low?

I have a gibraltar rack as well, and it rocks. Mine is old, though. maybe they are cutting back on metal to reduce costs, although I hope not. Gibraltar has been a favorite of mine for years. The dimpling in the metal is inevitable. When you tighten clamps down, it's gonna happen. But bending is an issue. You buy these new? Maybe somebody swapped a cheaper brand on ya??

I picked up some Swingnut double-braced stands to mount my Velvetone rack toms on. They are not that old but the tubing is denting after tightening everything. My Tama Roadpro hardware has no such dents even though I've had them for 10 years. Gibraltar offers cheaper hardware solutions. You get what you pay for.

I hate when companies do that. I also have a Pearl Icon rack for my Gretsch, I demoted the Gibraltar to my V-drums, and those are great!!

Gibraltar hardware leaves much to be desired. I’ve bought a few pieces over the years, and they all break or cause damage to cymbals.

Since 1999 I have been using the same Dixon hardware, which is made by Kayman the same company that supplies Gibraltar, Worldmax, some Ludwig and several others as well. I have never had an issue with any of it and have been playing it and giging it steady since I bought it with not even so much as 1 single repair, not even to the pedals.

Back