Neil Peart

I agree, he has not taken the interdependence to the level of Lang, Donati and Bozzio, but listen to some parts on the Hold Your Fire album (Tai Shan?) and Territories and Mystic Rhythms. His latest album actually has a song that is a remnant of that type of playing (drums only on his site if interested). When I read some posts that bash him I wonder if these people are/were listening to the same person I am/was. Neil was certainly more aggressive and very innovative back in the day. Later albums are not so special but their latest album reminds me of Counterparts.

I think its an age thing, and knowing what makes a good drummer. Take a guy Like Keith Carlock and put him next to Virgil. Totaly different drummers. But would you (not you in particular) say Keith is not impressive? Doubtfull. Cause Neil is not doing "Multi Pedal Orchestration" does not not make him a bad drummer. Just as many if not more drummers have wanted to "Be" Neil then drummers have wanted to be Lang or Donati. To me Neil makes drummers want to be better drummers. While Lang, Donati Minnimen and the like(which I respect) make drummers want to be showoffs. Which takes away from being a team player.

peart is one of the the most creative drummers and he has absolutely precious playing. It would be better if he shows some smile :)

I don't want to ruffle anybody's feathers here but I always found Peart to be somewhat wooden and lacking in feel. Sure, he's technically great and creative but I just don't think he has much feel. Of course Rush/Peart fans think this is blasphemy...

I'll come right out and say it:

Peart is influential and really good, but his lack of feel knocks him considerable down on the list of greatest drummers ever.

Of course Rush/Peart fans think this is blasphemy...
Well, as you may or may not be aware, people often have differing opinions. You're entitled to yours but it doesn't make theirs wrong by extension.

Hello everyone...thought I might bring up a thread that hasn't had a post for a while. I actually came on here quite a lot a while back but got busy so when I came back I couldn't get into my account...anyway. I come because something has been bothering me.

I have seen many a video of Peart. I wasn't blown away or anything, but I didn't mind him. But a visit to the good old YouTube and another watch of his solos and such, and I quickly became confused. Looking at the amount of people proclaiming that drums were invented for Peart, and that without a doubt he is the greatest drummer ever to live, I thought I was taking crazy pills. I was ALMOST drawn to start an argument and become like one of those losers who sit on YouTube and drone on and on about why Derek Roddy is so much better than Joey Jordison (they're both tasteless in my opinion but that's beside the point).

Every single solo I've seen of Peart immediately reminds me of solo's I would come up with when I'd been playing for 6 months to a year. Four on the floor, semiquavers on the snare with some triplets, and some tom fills. I'm not here to say I could school Peart in a battle or that he's crap or anything like that, I've just honestly been baffled by why people continue to be so amazed by stuff that many beginners come up with for their first solo. When I was in a Mike Mangini clinic he actually said that the whole four on the floor thing is a beginnerish thing (in the sense that it's what drummers start out with, not that it's bad or anything).

If I was playing stuff so similar to Peart after such a short while of playing and only being able to play a Go-Go's greatest hits album, how is he so good?

After roughly 8 minutes of soloing I saw a guy who looked uncomfortable and frankly unhappy (beside the point but it doesn't hurt to show some emotion...) and who could come up with nothing but basically what would usually be a rock fill played over and over again. It bored me to tears, not because it was simple (some of the best sounding licks I've heard are simple) but because it just seemed so repetitive and uncreative.

There's hardly any dynamic range in his soloing. For the best drummer in the world he sure doesn't show any contrast. I saw an old post on here saying how he leaves heaps of space and such in his solos...I could here no space except the space between his semiquavers and the time it took him to jump around to his electronic drum kit. So often in drumming less is more...

Which leads me to the next thing. He has such a big kit, but I just see him use it so uncreatively, it's honestly uninspiring. There are so many drummers out there who create just this amazing contrast and inventive grooves and patterns on a 4-piece, meanwhile Peart continues his long semiquaver tom roll. Bill Stewart, Brian Blade, JoJo Mayer (maybe a 5-piece but close enough), it goes on. While I'm at it I might offend any others who weren't already offended :p...I haven't been so bored or confused since I saw Mike Portnoy play his monster kit.

I've tried to take the high road here folks because I've thought long and hard and I've come up with nothing except that the people who like him can only appreciate big drum kits and loud playing. I know this can't be true so I MUST be missing something. I just don't get it.

Enlighten me!

Harley

Well I'd say that you need to look a little closer then my friend because most of the time not just one thing is going on at once. Like when he's playing the waltz section, have you actually tried to do that without a little practice. Not very easy from my experience. Also, if you are so educated then you would have found a full coverage of his Anatomy of a Drum Solo DVD. No? In fact just watch what the snipits we have here on DW, and see for yourself. Hopefully you will begin to see the clearer picture as to how his solo was meant to be, a tribute to drumming in general and his progression through that world.

It also confuses me when you compare him to people such as Jojo and Brian Blade. Last I checked they don't even play his style of music. I tend to believe that your taste in music has biased this opinion. As for the large kit thing too, listen to his new song Malignant Narcissism, that was played on a 5 piece. No long tom rolls, none of his "untasteful" use of so many drums, just one solid instrumental track.

Also, remember that a solo isn't the image of a drummers talent. If thats all you listen to then you really need to take a step back and do some more research because you've missed some pretty good stuff (ex. Mike Portnoy, I agree the solos are poor but the tracks he produces are much better).

Hope you're enlightened.

Oh, THANKS xush!! Nice!!

Though...it cuts out and stops at 48 seconds, and it says that it's 5:15 long?? That seems kinda strange, huh?

Anyway...Thanks for that...Play On! ;-)

Ok I have to chime in here. Peart is my favorite drummer this is true is he the most talented drummer in the world no is he the most glamourous no. But you know what neil does have that alot of technically better drummers don't ? Neil Peart has an understanding of what music fans not just other drummers will be able to relate to.

I have seen many "technically better" drummers perform solos that as a drummer blew my mind to look around in the crowd and see alot of people looking lost and start talking among themselves and lose interest in the solo go to the bathroom what not.

At a rush show the solo is a mesmerizing part of the show that leaves people amazed and interested. This is because he uses a simplicity that the music fan can relate to and builds around harmony melody and theme.

Do people who arent drummers see a Dave Weckl solo and go home saying omg did you see him do that triple flamadiddle inverted ratamacaca poo poo. No you dont and thats because thats lost on the average listener. They sure do remember the mallet cat the cowbell fills the big band break see it is able to be related to in a musical context.

Thats why so many other drummers with chops out the roof play clubs and smaller venues Because they arent as accesible they will draw the drummers and musicians out but for the most part it doesent have that widespread musical appeal.

So is Neil Peart the greatest soloist ever certainly not. But if you ask a rock fan who has seen Rush along with many other bands chances are they are going to be very impressed with Peart and remember him as an awesome drummer.

See thats why he has become such a big name people remember him because they can relate musically to what hes doing. I cant really think of another band that has had the sucsess that Rush has that when you mention the band the average music fan says oh yeah they have that insane drummer.

See thats what Peart does he transcends drumming he is an entertainer.

good post man i completly agree

I saw Neil from the 10th row last night in St. Louis on the Snakes and Arrows tour and it was as usual.....inspiring! Neil plays with so much intesity but that can only be seen in his face because he plays in such a relaxed fasion. They played a lot from the new album and that was ok with me, I like the new album a lot. I have seen them do the old stuff enough that seeing the new material played is very refreshing. Being so close I never really saw any other part ot the show...my eyes were on Neil the whole show. It was awesome!!

I have been listening to Peart for 25 years. I've seen Rush 5 times and every time I was blown away. I graduated the year Moving Pictures came out and that album changed my life. Neil is a true innovator.

Neil plays the exact lick one would expect in the Rush "hits." However, when the band jumps into a jam (like La Villa S.), anything can happen. They break sections down and improvise with the best of them. I understand people not getting into Geddy Lee's voice or not liking Rush's sound but it's a bit short sighted to just say "ahh I don't get it." Try this, have you a nice fat steak for dinner (with a juicy Cabernet), dim the lights, and relax with your significant other while listening to Permanent Waves uncut. Hallalueja!

I have been listening to Peart for 25 years. I've seen Rush 5 times and every time I was blown away. I graduated the year Moving Pictures came out and that album changed my life. Neil is a true innovator.

Neil plays the exact lick one would expect in the Rush "hits." However, when the band jumps into a jam (like La Villa S.), anything can happen. They break sections down and improvise with the best of them. I understand people not getting into Geddy Lee's voice or not liking Rush's sound but it's a bit short sighted to just say "ahh I don't get it." Try this, have you a nice fat steak for dinner (with a juicy Cabernet), dim the lights, and relax with your significant other while listening to Permanent Waves uncut. Hallalueja!

...or Hemispheres!

Play On! ;-)

Happy 55th Birthday Neil! I heard you had a killer show on Saturday, but I wasn't able to attend. Hope you can keep rockin' for another 55.

Happy Birthday, Professor!

Here's to another 55, Mr. Peart...

Play On! :)

Well I'd say that you need to look a little closer then my friend because most of the time not just one thing is going on at once. Like when he's playing the waltz section, have you actually tried to do that without a little practice. Not very easy from my experience. Also, if you are so educated then you would have found a full coverage of his Anatomy of a Drum Solo DVD. No? In fact just watch what the snipits we have here on DW, and see for yourself. Hopefully you will begin to see the clearer picture as to how his solo was meant to be, a tribute to drumming in general and his progression through that world.

It also confuses me when you compare him to people such as Jojo and Brian Blade. Last I checked they don't even play his style of music. I tend to believe that your taste in music has biased this opinion. As for the large kit thing too, listen to his new song Malignant Narcissism, that was played on a 5 piece. No long tom rolls, none of his "untasteful" use of so many drums, just one solid instrumental track.

Also, remember that a solo isn't the image of a drummers talent. If thats all you listen to then you really need to take a step back and do some more research because you've missed some pretty good stuff (ex. Mike Portnoy, I agree the solos are poor but the tracks he produces are much better).

Hope you're enlightened.

Hello everyone...thought I might bring up a thread that hasn't had a post for a while. I actually came on here quite a lot a while back but got busy so when I came back I couldn't get into my account...anyway. I come because something has been bothering me.

I have seen many a video of Peart. I wasn't blown away or anything, but I didn't mind him. But a visit to the good old YouTube and another watch of his solos and such, and I quickly became confused. Looking at the amount of people proclaiming that drums were invented for Peart, and that without a doubt he is the greatest drummer ever to live, I thought I was taking crazy pills. I was ALMOST drawn to start an argument and become like one of those losers who sit on YouTube and drone on and on about why Derek Roddy is so much better than Joey Jordison (they're both tasteless in my opinion but that's beside the point).

Every single solo I've seen of Peart immediately reminds me of solo's I would come up with when I'd been playing for 6 months to a year. Four on the floor, semiquavers on the snare with some triplets, and some tom fills. I'm not here to say I could school Peart in a battle or that he's crap or anything like that, I've just honestly been baffled by why people continue to be so amazed by stuff that many beginners come up with for their first solo. When I was in a Mike Mangini clinic he actually said that the whole four on the floor thing is a beginnerish thing (in the sense that it's what drummers start out with, not that it's bad or anything).

If I was playing stuff so similar to Peart after such a short while of playing and only being able to play a Go-Go's greatest hits album, how is he so good?

After roughly 8 minutes of soloing I saw a guy who looked uncomfortable and frankly unhappy (beside the point but it doesn't hurt to show some emotion...) and who could come up with nothing but basically what would usually be a rock fill played over and over again. It bored me to tears, not because it was simple (some of the best sounding licks I've heard are simple) but because it just seemed so repetitive and uncreative.

There's hardly any dynamic range in his soloing. For the best drummer in the world he sure doesn't show any contrast. I saw an old post on here saying how he leaves heaps of space and such in his solos...I could here no space except the space between his semiquavers and the time it took him to jump around to his electronic drum kit. So often in drumming less is more...

Which leads me to the next thing. He has such a big kit, but I just see him use it so uncreatively, it's honestly uninspiring. There are so many drummers out there who create just this amazing contrast and inventive grooves and patterns on a 4-piece, meanwhile Peart continues his long semiquaver tom roll. Bill Stewart, Brian Blade, JoJo Mayer (maybe a 5-piece but close enough), it goes on. While I'm at it I might offend any others who weren't already offended :p...I haven't been so bored or confused since I saw Mike Portnoy play his monster kit.

I've tried to take the high road here folks because I've thought long and hard and I've come up with nothing except that the people who like him can only appreciate big drum kits and loud playing. I know this can't be true so I MUST be missing something. I just don't get it.

Enlighten me!

Harley

Hello all, newly joined on this forum but have been reading for a while. Interesting that of course everyone has and is entitiled to an opinion and I guess thats the purpose here. However, being that I am a big Rush/Neil fan etc. and drummer from many years back it astonishes me the amount of bashing going on.It's easy to say a part is easy to play once it has been figured out, but lets give credit to the creation/invention of the part and song. In other words, so you can copy it ? But can you create it ? And seeing that your such an expert who are you ? What qualifies you to be the judge ?
It will always be debateable that there are many great drummers out there how does one really qualify who is the "best" Its all a matter of opinion, right ?
So in my humble opinion Neil has made a great contribution to the drumming community over the years, he is certainly been an inspiration across the board. When I go to a Rush show I too notice how many people in the audience actually really pay attention and enjoy his solo's. They are very creative, original and musical. As we say here amongst our friends "no one plays like Neil" He's certainly up there among the best, and i admire the man for his accomplishments.
Happy Birthday !!

I've been a fan of Neil's since I started playing drums - in fact, he was probably the reason I started my music career 25 years ago! My avatar is actually one of two postcards that I had received from Neil in response to "ask a pro" letters I had sent years ago. In spite of my admiration for and inspiration from Neil, I am not a fan that bows to every single note he plays. I can be equally critical of certain aspects of his playing. HOWEVER, I think most criticisms miss the point when they say "his stuff isn't that hard to play." Neil makes music - he plays as a contributor and supporting member of his band. He is not in the business of just creating the most difficult drum fill to play or the craziest odd time groove ever committed. Even his solo is created in a musical sense and is appropriate for the venue it is performed in - large arenas filled with Rock fans. Perhaps it would be different if Neil had developed playing jazz clubs for the past 33 years... Neil is humbly inspired by the masters of drumming history and modern monsters - and he writes about how he wishes he could play like them.

I was thinking about differences in approach between a modern rock master, such as Gavin Harrison, and Neil. Gavin's approach to fills is much more rooted in improvisation - and this, while usually always very impressive, has mixed results. My humble criticism of Gavin's approach would be that his fills almost become interchangeable. You could almost take that massive fill in "Fear of a Blank Planet" and cut and paste it into "Anesthetize" with only a few die hards would notice. On the other hand, Neil's well thought-out fills and patterns almost become part of the melody of the song - it is this aspect that gives many of Neil's drum parts so much personality. Both are valid approaches, with pros and cons.

The fact remains that Neil has been a huge inspiration to a whole generation of Rock drummers, and he, along with Rush, have had a amazing 33 year career (!) of making very creative music that has defined it's own style.

I saw Rush last friday for the first time, in Oberhausen, Germany, and it was soooo awesome !!! Expected a lot, and got more than that ! Played all their classic hits and lots of Snakes & Arrows, these songs really kick live ! Animations on the video screens were just RAD ! Awesome, especially the south park one going straight into Tom Sawyer.

Some parts of Neils Solo were exactly like the R30 one, but with kinda other samples in the E-Solo. His red kit looks killer and he played fantastic, so did Geddy and Alex. It was a special night for me, wich I won´t forget too fast !

Drummers like Dennis Chambers, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Adam Nussbaum, Chad Wackerman and Jack DeJohnette completely and totally blow Neil Peart away. It doesn't matter if they're not rock drummers and he is. Neil Peart has to be one of the most overrated drummers of all time. I'd bet at least one in five drummers that graduates from the Berklee of music every year can do everything that Neil Peart can do including the odd time. The only difference is he's in huge band that's been huge for a long time and they're not.

they couldnt blow him away in RUSH!!! only one great drummer for RUSH!!!excluding rutsy, and thats NEIL PEART baby

Back