Travis Barker

travis barker country music awards

did anyone see travis barker at the country music awards, i thought it was so funny, i can't find a video of it any where though, if anyone has a site for me that wuold be great thanks

gringo998 said:
jish freese is the man.

HE IS DOING WHAT HE LOVES! HE IS GETTING PAID MONEY FOR HIS PASSION! I ENVY HIM FOR THAT. NOT FOR HIS APPERANCES ON MTV, NOT FOR HIS FAME, BUT FOR LIVING THE DREAM MAN. I THINK WE SHOULD ALL REALIZED THIS.

Gringo
I have no problem with him livin the dream, God Bless him... I didn't bring the subject up I only responded to it because it does trouble me the amount of recognition he gets does not come even close to his talent level...

If you look on the opening page of this website under the "Most viewed" it's Buddy Rich, Neil Peart, Louie Bellson and.... "TRAVIS BARKER" ...

Thats like in a statement about NFL QB's you mentioned Joe Montanna, Dan Marino, Bart Star, Jonny Unitus, John Elway and " TRENT DILFER"....

I use Trent Dilfer because he has a Super Ring, gets Paid for his passion and livin his dream like you say, but still is mentioned in the same sentence with that group of players as Travis Barker....with the "truly "Greatest" drummers of all time. Doesn't quite fit.

My oppinion mostly comes from the live drum solo he has on the website...the one were 75 % of the time he is actually playing a basic drum beat...the same beat i teach all my beginner students starting at 7 years of age. And some of my students don't lose time like he does playin that simplistic solo...embarresing !!!

The sad part is he actually stops to listen to people clapping & screaming about 4 times & starts the basic drum beat again...it's very sad....and embarressing and displays exactly how medioca & unimaginative & unimpressive Travis Barker is to answer your other statement and mine....

I hope the next drummer listed on the most viewed sites on Drummerworld is one of the 12 or 13 yr olds on here that are rediculas in Talent & playing from the heart like the 8yr old on the trash cans with sisters 4-8 yrs old dancin for him...they're smokin individuals...

those are the people I would hope the majority would look up to, I think in the entertainment world you have to recognize true talent & not think someone has it only because they are livin the dream...and getting paid for it....

In my world I was brought up that you earn respect, and don't expect it unless you can back it up with truth, confidence and talent no matter what your cause or way of life is

Peace!! and have a "Great" day...Lee

beatsMcGee said:
Lee what band do you play in?

Hi Mr.McGee

I am 147 yrs old...in the 70's & 80's My band "NRG" opened & toured with Nazareth, Judast Priest, KIX, Extreme, Wendy "O", Blue Oyster Cult & many others...

Without giving you the long boring typical Rock Band story that ends up in Superior Court...we managed to get a song on the original "Transformer" The Movie Soundtrack...Leanard Nemoy & Judd Nelson were in it & Rick Derringer etc...was also on soundtrack our song was "Instruments of Destruction"...

We are attemting to get on the new Transformers real action movie to be released July 4th, 2007 by Dreamworks & Steven Spielburgh...George Clooney & John Voit are a few in it... If you want to see or read more about my accomplishments, go to my website...www.drumschool.net

Peace!! & have a "great" day....Lee

Stu_Strib said:
I love this forum! This is the only forum on the internet (yes, I've checked them all, hehe) that can have an intelligent discussion about Mr. Barker without a huge fight breaking out.

His videos on drummerworld are the worst examples of good drumming of all the ones Bernhard has posted.

Thanks for the mature discussion on this topic, and lets hope all the "Travis Barker RULZ!" crowd stays away from this thread.

Stu
I couldn't agree more with you and have already replied a few times about that embarresing drum solo posted on his site...and of what i have read so far pretty mature discussion without outragous remarks that mean nothing.

My reaction to reply to this thread was when i saw on the home page the "Most Viewed" sites...Louie Bellson, Buddy Rich, Neil Peart & "TRAVIS BARKER"....

anyone who has questioned my original statement about his talent isn't responsable for his noteriety & exposure, but his Bands high record sales, VH1's show and a ton of Tatoo's got him where he is today....not his unimpressive (As you also mentioned) drumming...

Peace!!! & you have a "Great" day....Lee

TC_759 said:
my question is for Lee Magano. what did you find unimpressive about his drumming? just wondering your opinion. -TC

TC
Just watch his simplistic, un-imaginative, live drum solo on this website...if that doesn't convince anyone he is unimpressive, I can only say your not listening to the right players that will inspire you to be "Great" at your instrument instead of just medioca to make it.

Peace!!! Lee

Someday, I would love to hear Mike Portnoy. I have also heard some great things about Travis Barker and Flo. I will really be looking forward to hearing these three play. Peter Erskine and John Riley are two great contemporary Jazz Drummers. Kenny Aronoff is one of the most “in demand” Rock Drummers of today. I know Kenny can play anything, and swing with the best of them. Terry Bozio and Simon Phillips are two other drummers I hope to catch someday.

that was a article from Art Verdi. He even likes Travis Barker. I don't know why most of you here don't think he's pretty good, but a lot of proffessional drummers have a lot of respect for him. Travis Barker is really good....you can't argue that.

I guess you European people just have some different opinions...

Lee Mangano said:
Gringo
I have no problem with him livin the dream, God Bless him... I didn't bring the subject up I only responded to it because it does trouble me the amount of recognition he gets does not come even close to his talent level...

If you look on the opening page of this website under the "Most viewed" it's Buddy Rich, Neil Peart, Louie Bellson and.... "TRAVIS BARKER" ...

Thats like in a statement about NFL QB's you mentioned Joe Montanna, Dan Marino, Bart Star, Jonny Unitus, John Elway and " TRENT DILFER"....

I use Trent Dilfer because he has a Super Ring, gets Paid for his passion and livin his dream like you say, but still is mentioned in the same sentence with that group of players as Travis Barker....with the "truly "Greatest" drummers of all time. Doesn't quite fit.

My oppinion mostly comes from the live drum solo he has on the website...the one were 75 % of the time he is actually playing a basic drum beat...the same beat i teach all my beginner students starting at 7 years of age. And some of my students don't lose time like he does playin that simplistic solo...embarresing !!!

The sad part is he actually stops to listen to people clapping & screaming about 4 times & starts the basic drum beat again...it's very sad....and embarressing and displays exactly how medioca & unimaginative & unimpressive Travis Barker is to answer your other statement and mine....

I hope the next drummer listed on the most viewed sites on Drummerworld is one of the 12 or 13 yr olds on here that are rediculas in Talent & playing from the heart like the 8yr old on the trash cans with sisters 4-8 yrs old dancin for him...they're smokin individuals...

those are the people I would hope the majority would look up to, I think in the entertainment world you have to recognize true talent & not think someone has it only because they are livin the dream...and getting paid for it....

In my world I was brought up that you earn respect, and don't expect it unless you can back it up with truth, confidence and talent no matter what your cause or way of life is

Peace!! and have a "Great" day...Lee

you toatally got me wrong
i dont like travis barker probably as much as you do
and so what if theyre are "eleventeen yearolds" who beleve he is the greatest drummer out there. sure its wrong, but im saying we should just forgert about it and stop bashing.
i cant stnad the way travis barker plays. and yeah it is discusting on how much fame he gets for it, but what can we do? hes doing well, and hes happy.

Lee, i agree that one solo that you keep refering to is a little simplistic etc... but that is the worst solo ive ever seen him do and there are much better if you fancy looking... but i agree hes not the best and im not arguing that he is, i just enjoy his style and intensity and he is actually pretty creative, dispite the negativity that is spinning off that solo reveiw.. for example the MTV "duet" series that got cancelled way back in the day features blink-182 and of course Travis, they auditioned kids to play along with Travis to "Stay together for the kids" and during that duets he does some pretty creative stuff... but anyway...like i said im well aware there are much better drummers, and i love them too, but does it mean you have to only like the elite of the elite (as far as drummers) and one can not find qualites in other drummers to enjoy???

lee mangano u are wack man.

look at another solo of his, that one you wrote an essay critiquing isn't his best work obviously...it's kind of weird you write a dam short story man.....don't go into specific detail... that's just scary....he's a good drummer... who gets paid to play drums... your pretty jealous if you ask me

it says ur a pro drummer in ur profile.. but I don't need your whole philosophy on travis barker man

DWDrummer said:
lee mangano u are wack man.

look at another solo of his, that one you wrote an essay critiquing isn't his best work obviously...it's kind of weird you write a dam short story man.....don't go into specific detail... that's just scary....he's a good drummer... who gets paid to play drums... your pretty jealous if you ask me

it says ur a pro drummer in ur profile.. but I don't need your whole philosophy on travis barker man

DW
Thanx for the Compliment and the critism...Sorry I'm not good at getting my point across with 1 sentence...I'll try & shorten it up...I don't want the site to crash cause of my post

1st DW...I am not jealous of anyone in the world, I have accomplishments in this field, some maybe greater than Travis Barker, I am also "Honored" to be one of 1,300 drummers on this web site on "Links"pg & I just made the "Wish List" under M (Lee Mangano)...go to my website & view and your welcome to critisize me as I did Travis. Part of the biz

I never once said Travis sucks and I also blessed his success...and begrudge no one's happiness..he has some great qualities as a drummer, his aggresive playing & attack and visual appearence...but still to answer this original thread...his talent didn't get him were he is, you prove it did.

Lee

Lee Mangano said:
DW
Thanx for the Compliment and the critism...Sorry I'm not good at getting my point across with 1 sentence...I'll try & shorten it up...I don't want the site to crash cause of my post

1st DW...I am not jealous of anyone in the world, I have accomplishments in this field, some maybe greater than Travis Barker, I am also "Honored" to be one of 1,300 drummers on this web site on "Links"pg & I just made the "Wish List" under M (Lee Mangano)...go to my website & view and your welcome to critisize me as I did Travis. Part of the biz

I never once said Travis sucks and I also blessed his success...and begrudge no one's happiness..he has some great qualities as a drummer, his aggresive playing & attack and visual appearence...but still to answer this original thread...his talent didn't get him were he is, you prove it did.

Lee

you prove it didn't. had he not played in blink182 he wouldn't have got the recognition. remember that "Meet The Barkers" didn't start until blink was nearly on its last legs, so his success cannot be attributed to that really... I honestly think he gained the recognition for the way he plays. Sure, it's not the most creative drumming out there but can you imagine someone such as Neil Peart or Danny Carey playing the way they do to Blink182 pop punk songs? It simply wouldn't work. When you stand Travis Barker up against others in his genre who get similar credit (Tre Cool, the guy from Good Charlotte [I dislike the band too much to look up his name], the guy from Simple Plan [likewise], Derek Grant from Alkaline Trio [is that his name? it escapes me!]) he holds his own, with the exception of Derek, but I like Alkaline Trio a lot. Therefore his talent simply lies in being able to write suitable beats (note that's suitable and not the best) for the music that Blink wrote. I personally like the middle section from "First Date" and the beat from "Feeling This", to name two. I'll make the point now that I'm not a massive fan of Blink but I was quite into punk/ pop-punk in recent years and Blink were one of the bands whose albums have rested amongst my collection and a couple of their CD's still do. I don't dislike them, but they're far from my favourite. I wouldn't say Travis is amazing, but he's certainly good at what he does. His being overrated - depends on who you talk to.

Enjoy my essay, the novel will be out in the fall... heh.

Re: Travis Barker set up?

i used to chase drummers set ups. Then i realized how many drummers i was chasing and how many set-ups there were, almost none the same. So I said to my self "If their ways are perfect for them and thier not copying anybody why should i copy them? I should play my perfect set-up, no thiers". After which my mom immediatly got me checked for talking to myself...

... but when i got back i built my kit from the floor up. Ive never been happier.

Re: Travis Barker set up?

I think you should just set up your kit however your comfterable with it. if your not comfterable with your set up, how are you gonna get better and learn new things. Its kinda of like would you rather your kit be like everyone else, and suck, or would you rather be great, with a setup that no one else has?

Lee Mangano said:
My name is Lee

Just goin thru these posts, I have to completely agree with you...I didn't look up your profile & don't know your experience or age but you make a great point, and I have to assume you are a professional & serious drummer.

The most asked question is Q: So who is the greatest drummer in the world ??

My Answer is: Theres way too many to count...and way too many varieties of styles to distinguish and point out 1 specific drummer as being the best.

I ask..would "AC/DC" be as solid & groove oriented rock as they are if Neil Peart was their drummer ....and would "Rush" be as progressive and unique in their odd time playing with Phil Rudd's style of playing ?

No, both bands would be weaker in getting their musical point across, but it doesn't make 1 drummer better or worse than the other...I consider them both top of their field in music & drumming ability...

As far as Travis Barker...I respect that he has been noticed in this business, but as a drummer I believe the fact that his bands record sales where high, he has a ton of tattoo's and VH1 did a "Meet the Barkers" show is the only reason Travis gets the notoriety & exposure he gets...it has nothing to do with his unimpressive drumming....

Lee Mangano
i truly could not agree more. I feel especially that last part was as perfect an explantion for what i think about barker.

Barker, just like ulrich, drum for the song, not too make things technical or anything but to just serve the songs its drum parts...they dont need to be a speed demon or need progressive style or anything like that unless...the songs requirses it to work...unfortunately, their bands dont, so they dont do it

to the question on page one, why havent steve gadd or vinnie coliuta got their own tv show?

cos they would bore normal people senseless, people who dont play drums that is!

Back