Anyone else send an email to Remo about their coating?

Yeah, the sound doesn't seem to be affected much, if at all. But, if you're a fanatic about having a clean looking set up for as long as possible, like me, it's an issue. Plus the pieces of coating become imbedded in my stick tips and transferred to my clear tom heads and makes them look crappy way to quickly as well.

I agree that Remo coating generally wears off faster than Evans or Aquarian, though I have gotten very good life out of a 14" CA that I have been using for 7 months. Surpisingly, I have some coated single ply Attack heads on my toms that are are holding up amzingly well. little wear in the coating and the sound gets better as the heads age. I keep putting off replacing them because the sounds keeps getting sweeter.

I was just re-seating the Remo Ambassador coated heads on my DW Classic kit and mine also have premature coating wear. If I have a chance I'll take a picture of it. The one redeeming fact is, I still get a great sound out of the Remo heads even though there is physical coating damage, unlike what I'm hearing from some brand new Evans G2 and G2 coated heads lately. If I could find the Aquarian heads I want to try, one of my kits would be wearing them.

Dennis

DSC_0411.jpg

This along with my 14" and 16" floor tom batter heads have similar damage after about a week of non aggressive playing.

Dennis

I posted this on Kg_Lee's thread, and thought I'd post on this one too, since people are sharing pics.

The first picture is a 16" coated Emperor that is over two years old and has been on two different floor toms. Granted, it doesn't take the punishment a snare head does, but this head has still been played hard, a LOT.

Second pic is a new 14" coated Ambassador which I got a few days ago, and put on the snare yesterday. It has about three hours time on it.

Third pic is a 13" coated Ambassador that I purchased almost a year ago, but just got around to using a few weeks ago. It has about twenty hours on it now, including several nights as host drum of an open jam, where it is used by some drummers with highly questionable technique.

I don't mean to say people are NOT having trouble with the coating on Remo heads. I just mean to say that it is certainly not a universal problem...

Attachments

• IMG_4499.JPG
    IMG_4499.JPG
    536.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4501.JPG
    IMG_4501.JPG
    523.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4502.JPG
    IMG_4502.JPG
    550 KB · Views: 147
DSC_0411.jpg

This along with my 14" and 16" floor tom batter heads have similar damage after about a week of non aggressive playing.

Dennis

This is what happened to my Remo heads on my Gretsch USA's (Permatones) after about the same time period and kept getting worse. I've swapped them with Evans G1's and no issues. I went with the G1s as they are on another set I played almost exclusively for a year until I got the USA's and they still have no signs of flaking.

I posted this on Kg_Lee's thread, and thought I'd post on this one too, since people are sharing pics.

The first picture is a 16" coated Emperor that is over two years old and has been on two different floor toms. Granted, it doesn't take the punishment a snare head does, but this head has still been played hard, a LOT.

Second pic is a new 14" coated Ambassador which I got a few days ago, and put on the snare yesterday. It has about three hours time on it.

Third pic is a 13" coated Ambassador that I purchased almost a year ago, but just got around to using a few weeks ago. It has about twenty hours on it now, including several nights as host drum of an open jam, where it is used by some drummers with highly questionable technique.

I don't mean to say people are NOT having trouble with the coating on Remo heads. I just mean to say that it is certainly not a universal problem...

Now that's how they should look and how I remember them when they were having no problems. You're lucky man, the pictures put up by audiotech are much more the norm for me :(

Back