Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

I'll ask the dealer about the tom mounts. I'd be disconcerted if someone allowed me to buy $4k worth of kit from them and didn't include a way to mount the toms. I'm really surprised that Ludwig doesn't offer fully kitted packages...

I'd be surprised too, that's why I have a call in to them right now.

Bermuda

Ludwig's dealer price sheet on the Signets says they come with tom holders, 1 for the Gigabeat, and 2 for the Terabeat. But I'll still confirm directly with Ludwig.

Bermuda

Well, contrary to what Ludwig's price sheet says, one of the Ludwig gentleman in the know tells me that they do not come with the mounts.

As promised, I am surprised!

Bermuda

Well, contrary to what Ludwig's price sheet says, one of the Ludwig gentleman in the know tells me that they do not come with the mounts.

As promised, I am surprised!

Bermuda

Like me, you probably read "Triad 3-point tom suspension mounts" and didn't realize that this only handles to the tom-side of the mounting equation. It's market slang for "You can mount this mountable rack tom on a rack tom mount, cause we put a mount on it, and only used 3 screws.", but sounds waaaaaaaay cooler. This possibly explains my desire to own one.

I think most companies provide the accessory clamp, no? And it does say so on their price sheet! Oh well, sorry guys, that's not what I expected.

But if you have a good relationship with the dealer, I hope they'll throw one in. If they're selling at MAP, there's enough wiggle room to cough it up. :)

Actually, even if you have a bad - or no - relationship with them, they should throw it in to encourage the sale.

Bermuda

I've had my Signet's for a little while now, been loving them ... they sound great. I recently ran into a bit of an issue and am looking for ideas. I'm considering using it as my gigging kit, my current setup for the kick drum is to mount an internal mic using a Kelly Shu and use a DIY sub-kick in front. The Shu mount requires leather straps that are installed under the screw/bolt of the lugs but these lugs have no screws/bolts so there's no place to mount the straps. Any ideas on mounting a Kelly Shu in the Signet kick drum?

Kelly Shu... yeah, that requires a bit of a workaround.

You could easily mount the leather loops on the leg mount screws, but you're limited to that position, and would need a pillow to help support the piece (since it can't be attached from above.) The only other solution I can think of is to drill the shell and mount screws where you want to affix the leather loops, but that means a real commitment to the drums, and the positioning. Personally, I wouldn't do that.

I'd simply lay the mic inside on a pillow, or mount it on a short stand pointed through the hole.

Bermuda

I've had my Signet's for a little while now, been loving them ... they sound great. I recently ran into a bit of an issue and am looking for ideas. I'm considering using it as my gigging kit, my current setup for the kick drum is to mount an internal mic using a Kelly Shu and use a DIY sub-kick in front. The Shu mount requires leather straps that are installed under the screw/bolt of the lugs but these lugs have no screws/bolts so there's no place to mount the straps. Any ideas on mounting a Kelly Shu in the Signet kick drum?

I took a look at a signet kits today, and was looking for things that I would have to deal with after-purchase. Not only is there no place to secure a suspension-mount for internal microphones, there's no breather hole to run the cable/clip through. You'd basically have to drill a hole, which would likely change the sound of the toms.

While this isn't necessarily a reason not to buy this series, it's definitely a pre-purchase consideration you'll need to work out.

On a semi-related note.

I had a look at an Alpine Blue kit today. Aside from the internal-mic mounting challenge, my thoughts were.

Nice looking kit. Really good sounding kit. I had 2 complaints that may or may not matter to anyone else.

If you're going to be playing under colored lighting, go for the teak or ebony. If you're going to be under white or natural lighting, the blue should be fine. The blue may be an ordeal for your lighting guy. It's also going to be an issue for your wardrobe guy if you're a stage performer and your producer uses terms like "your visual dynamic". You might have to retire that Boston hockey jersey you've worn for the last 10 years on stage.

I didn't like the finish. It felt like unfinished wood with a 300 grit sanding and a spray coat of Deft. I had expected a satin-like finish, and fear that a misplaced cup of coffee, sports-drink, or porter could be the end of an otherwise nice looking shell.

Not only is there no place to secure a suspension-mount for internal microphones, there's no breather hole to run the cable/clip through. You'd basically have to drill a hole, which would likely change the sound of the toms.

While this isn't necessarily a reason not to buy this series, it's definitely a pre-purchase consideration you'll need to work out.

Agreed, and honestly, I wouldn't modify the drums any more than necessary... said the guy who installed a tom mount plate on the kick. :)

But holes for cables wouldn't result in a perceivable difference in sound, and you could certainly install a traditional grommet or screw-type air vent for a more "factory" look.

Bermuda

Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules. If anyone was wondering about the price of the option toms, here is what I was told today by a dealer.

Signet 105 14" Floor Tom (4-6 week backorder): List Price $460, Our Price $299.99 (Part Number LSF440
SLA)

Signet 105 8" Tom (4-6 week backorder): List Price $306, Our Price $199.99 (Part Number LST780SLA)

Just delete this post if it's a violation.

I took a look at a signet kits today, and was looking for things that I would have to deal with after-purchase. Not only is there no place to secure a suspension-mount for internal microphones, there's no breather hole to run the cable/clip through. You'd basically have to drill a hole, which would likely change the sound of the toms.

On a semi-related note.

I had a look at an Alpine Blue kit today. Aside from the internal-mic mounting challenge, my thoughts were.

Nice looking kit. Really good sounding kit. I had 2 complaints that may or may not matter to anyone else.

If you're going to be playing under colored lighting, go for the teak or ebony. If you're going to be under white or natural lighting, the blue should be fine. The blue may be an ordeal for your lighting guy. It's also going to be an issue for your wardrobe guy if you're a stage performer and your producer uses terms like "your visual dynamic". You might have to retire that Boston hockey jersey you've worn for the last 10 years on stage.

I didn't like the finish. It felt like unfinished wood with a 300 grit sanding and a spray coat of Deft. I had expected a satin-like finish, and fear that a misplaced cup of coffee, sports-drink, or porter could be the end of an otherwise nice looking shell.

It does feel like an unfinished shell but Ludwig does claim that there is a satin like (a new process) spray on the shell. How durable? Who knows at this point. I guess Bermuda will know first lol as his probably is the first one in play.

I've yet to play mine in a gig :(

I've been gigging mine exclusively since late-January, an d no problems. But, I'm also very careful about liquids, scrapes, etc around any of my drums, so I can't vouch for the resilience of the Signet finish. Judging by the feel of it, I'd be cautious with them.

Tung oil might be an easy, effective, and nice-looking method for better protecting the finish. Fortunately, the hardware removes and replaces MUCH faster than standard lugs, so you'd save time as well!

Bermuda

Agreed, and honestly, I wouldn't modify the drums any more than necessary... said the guy who installed a tom mount plate on the kick. :)

But holes for cables wouldn't result in a perceivable difference in sound, and you could certainly install a traditional grommet or screw-type air vent for a more "factory" look.

Bermuda

I'm committed to mine already so no concern there ... I did the same thing and installed a tom mount as well. As for vent holes, not a big deal either as I typically install an XLR jack directly in the shell. I'll probably just end up installing some small bolts for the Shu.

I went to Guitar Center today just to have a look around. The Signet drums were out for demo'ing. I had a few minutes to play them and was really impressed! GC did change the heads on them to clear Emperor's on the toms and an EMAD on the bass. Surprisingly enough, the GC employee actually advised against buying the kit (not that I was going to buy it anyway)...just very surprised that an actual employee of GC would go out of his way to advise not buying it.
Anyway, this kit sounds really good...I was very impressed.
-Rob

Did he give reasons for not buying?

I'm curious as well.

As someone who was inches away from buying one of these.... The competition at this price range (950 for a bop, 1100 for a rock) is fierce. You can buy a really really nice kit for $1100 if you're willing to compromise on the entire "Made in The USA, with hardware made in APAC) thing. In my case, I ended up with a Renown + a Ludwig snare.

Did he give reasons for not buying?

Let me state that I do not agree nor disagree with what he said. Again, I was hugely surprised by how good the drums sounded.

He had expressed his lack of confidence in the drop in lugs. He believes that over time the lugs would disrupt their placement in the shell and loosen with head changes and the like. Like others have stated, he also disliked the bass drum spurs. He also brought up points of frustration he had experienced with set up, but I failed to see his point on that.

Anyway...I am more surprised that someone who is suppose to sell drums is advising against buying them.

Rob

Anyway...I am more surprised that someone who is suppose to sell drums is advising against buying them.

It's good to know that a salesperson cares enough to discuss a product's pros and cons, and isn't just trying to make a sale... any sale. That's especially surprising coming from a GC guy! But it's a huge disservice to the customer when they don't know what they're talking about! I don't know what (if any) kind of info was given to the people in the stores when the drums came out in January, or if those people that got the info are even there anymore. Opinions about certain aspects of the drums are fine, IF they're based on his or various customers' experience. But I guarantee that the salesperson has no actual experience using the drums, and it's very unlikely at this early point since they're release, that there's feedback of any kind at the retail level for him to assess anything about them.

Bermuda

The only issue that I have with the quick-setup lugs is that you can no longer take full advantage of the Ludwig accessories, like the anchor and arch. The arch is more important, as the kit doesn't come with the tom mounting accessories, which adds another $50-100 on to the price.

I really wish Ludwig would either lower the price a bit, or re-do the bundle in some way that makes the kit more attractive for the price range (Bundle more hardware, include a supra, etc..). It's a fantastic sounding kit, and I wish I could have bought one.

My karma is still good though, as I talked a friend into getting one.

bermuda, Have you spilled anything on yours yet? How did it hold up (Genuinely curious)?

Back