Help needed to choose new heads for my DWs

DrummerBoy95

Hey guys,

I've recently gotten this DW Maple 7 piece kit, in Black Velvet finish, like one of these :

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...6uAL&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:22,s:0

basically I'm still playing on the stock heads, and find they just don't sound right for me, I'm looking for heads that can give me a rather wet and thuddy sound, but still keeping the openness of these DWs that sound amazing. Any suggestions?

1st,,,,,,,,,Beautiful kit!
I bought a new Ludwig 7 piece kit and started out with Remo Pinstripes on top of all the toms. At first I loved em. Then I began to realize I wanted a little more sustain. Installed clear Remo Emporors (2 ply) over clear ambassador (1 ply) resos............That's it! Deep, wet, and full of tone. Just the right amount of sustain. They of course sound incredible mic'd up.
Enjoy!!

thanks!!!! :)
yes it is a beauty, I love it, and it looks even better on stage!
Thanks for the advice, I will check out the Remo Emperors. I don't know much about drum heads, I've played for about 7 years on a beginners kit with stock heads, until I bought Remo Coated Emperors, which sounded good, but definitely NOT the sound I wanted... At my music school I played on a kit with Clear Pinstripes on the toms, and they sounded pretty good too!

Based on your description, I'd definitely recommend checking out the Evans EC2s. They're a very durable head and they have a very round sound. A standard two-ply head like a G2 or emperor won't really offer as much of the wet/thuddy sound that you mentioned. The printing (SST) on the reverse side of the EC2's help control the overtones and give you a deeper timbre.

G1's are great for resos, though if you'd like a bit less resonance, check out the EC resos (a thinner head).

Get two-ply heads for the tops and one-ply heads for the bottoms. I prefer clear heads.

Remo: Pinstripe and Ambassador
Evans: EC2 and G1 or Hydraulic and G1

Good luck finding the sound you want. Peace and goodwill.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, one of the problems I have is that I've only used Remo Embassador Coated heads so I'm pretty much guessing my way through choosing heads, but I've managed to narrow down the choices to Remo Pinstripe/ Embassadors or Evans EC2/ G1. Thanks a lot guys! :)

Do any of you guys out there own a DW kit, and what heads can you recommend me? Now this is more on a personal taste basis, I'm just curious :)

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, one of the problems I have is that I've only used Remo Embassador Coated heads so I'm pretty much guessing my way through choosing heads, but I've managed to narrow down the choices to Remo Pinstripe/ Embassadors or Evans EC2/ G1. Thanks a lot guys! :)

Do any of you guys out there own a DW kit, and what heads can you recommend me? Now this is more on a personal taste basis, I'm just curious :)

On my DW Classic kit I'm still using Remo Ambassador coated heads top and bottom of my toms. The shells of the Classic kit do sound much different from the shells of the Collectors or Jazz series drums, so this will affect the overall sound and the heads that you might want to try. Much can be done with the tuning of your drums to get you to were you want to be.

Dennis

Back