Neil Peart

There are tonnes of these drum/vocal/bass tracks on Youtube! You just have to look

I had no idea he filled with the timbale at 2:40. The wash from the cymbals sounds pretty cool too. How do they get rid of that in the final mix again? Some sort of filter or compressor?

I had no idea he filled with the timbale at 2:40. The wash from the cymbals sounds pretty cool too. How do they get rid of that in the final mix again? Some sort of filter or compressor?

There is software out there (and I can't for the life of me think of it) that extracts drum tracks.

What about before software like Moving Pictures or did they use computers for mixing (I honestly don't know, Rush was pretty ahead of their time)

By the way, how cool are the isolated guitar tracks? Gives your mind a new listening experience imagining the drum track. My favorites incidentally are Metallica's Master... and ...And Justice tracks. Geddy's YYZ is pretty awesome too. Fun to play "air guitar" and it almost sounds like Kirk Hammett is in my living room.

What about before software like Moving Pictures or did they use computers for mixing (I honestly don't know, Rush was pretty ahead of their time)

By the way, how cool are the isolated guitar tracks? Gives your mind a new listening experience imagining the drum track. My favorites incidentally are Metallica's Master... and ...And Justice tracks. Geddy's YYZ is pretty awesome too. Fun to play "air guitar" and it almost sounds like Kirk Hammett is in my living room.

For rush, zep and metallica it would be greatly beneficial to me to have isolated drum and guitar tracks so that I can better assimilate what's happening, and even record my own play-along. It would help me with the more involving drum parts.

Great guys, but...

don't think this should be posted on the Neil Peart thread.

It's really not on topic. :-|

I'm just sayin'. ;-)

Hm, okay! Back to the lecture at hand.

It's great how a thread on Neil Peart can go off on such tangents! But really, we must digress.

Number 4 on the countdown towards Neil's best solo has been posted on TheParadiddler.com. Why don't we just settle down, pop a bruski (if you're old enough, and if that's how you spell bruski), and read about one of the most revered solos in Neil's list? Here's the link:

Neil Peart's Solos Ranked - Number 4

Let us all know what you think!

Hey Omar!

Just wanted to kindly disagree with your assessment of NP's Exit...Stage Left solo. I, for one, rank this one the best solos of his ever recorded. As a matter of fact, I rate it as ONE of the best progressive rock drum solos ever!

But you aren't gonna be surprised that I think that...I know. But that's how I feel about this solo of his. No way it's fourth. Absolutely not! Sorry, buddy. ;-)

But again, Thank You for posting these solo articles. It's nice to know that there IS another devoted, die-hard Professor fan out there that takes the time to post some very interesting reads...WITHOUT shooting the man down for this and that ridiculous reason.

Keep Up the good work! ;-)

Hey Omar!

Just wanted to kindly disagree with your assessment of NP's Exit...Stage Left solo. I, for one, rank this one the best solos of his ever recorded. As a matter of fact, I rate it as ONE of the best progressive rock drum solos ever!

But you aren't gonna be surprised that I think that...I know. But that's how I feel about this solo of his. No way it's fourth. Absolutely not! Sorry, buddy. ;-)

But again, Thank You for posting these solo articles. It's nice to know that there IS another devoted, die-hard Professor fan out there that takes the time to post some very interesting reads...WITHOUT shooting the man down for this and that ridiculous reason.

Keep Up the good work! ;-)

Hi Michael.

You make some excellent points. I, like many, have an affinity to this solo, and I was in a quandary as to how I was going to rank this one. This solo definitely made a statement, and many became Rush fans during this time, so I fully expected a little (or a lot!) of disagreement on this one.

But I'll stick to my guns! I gotta compare each solo to each other, within the context of their time, and determine which solo fit the bill the most for the time period it appeared in, technical aspects, etc. Mind you, I'm having a blast doing this! What's not to like about being immersed in Neil Peart's solos?

Anyway, thanks very much for reading. I'm thinking of writing an epilogue-type article at the end, and maybe I'll explain in detail how I came up with this crazy concept. More to come, of course!

Last edited:
Anyone seen the movie "I love you man" yet ? I saw a bit while watching That Metal Show the other day that said Rush have a part in the movie. Not sure how big a part. Background band at a concert the characters go to, or actual parts in the film, like in The Trailer Park Boys.

Anyone seen the movie "I love you man" yet ? I saw a bit while watching That Metal Show the other day that said Rush have a part in the movie. Not sure how big a part. Background band at a concert the characters go to, or actual parts in the film, like in The Trailer Park Boys.

Really? :-|

Hmm...May have to check that out, Pavlos.

Thanks. ;-)

Bad news/good news.

Blender magazine, who's opinions never seemed to align with mine is folding. It's kharma for insulting Peart's lyrical ability.

Bad news because it means loss of jobs. Good news, because they are no loss to me.

Bad news/good news.

Blender magazine, who's opinions never seemed to align with mine is folding. It's kharma for insulting Peart's lyrical ability.

Bad news because it means loss of jobs. Good news, because they are no loss to me.

Hi trk.

Yes, Blender blundered big time by criticizing Neil's lyrical ability. That showed their ignorance (or the writer of that article, or the editor, or both). Too bad for the jobs, yes.

Just also wanted to mention that I'll be very shortly posting number three on the countdown towards Neil's best solo. Stay tuned!

And just to throw out there one of my favorite songs lyrically by Mr. Peart, it would have to be "The Camera Eye":

Pavements may teem
With intense energy,
But the city is calm
In this violent sea

...and I love how Geddy sings the last two lines--

I won't miss Blender.

Hi trk.

Yes, Blender blundered big time by criticizing Neil's lyrical ability. That showed their ignorance (or the writer of that article, or the editor, or both). Too bad for the jobs, yes.

Just also wanted to mention that I'll be very shortly posting number three on the countdown towards Neil's best solo. Stay tuned!

And just to throw out there one of my favorite songs lyrically by Mr. Peart, it would have to be "The Camera Eye":

Pavements may teem
With intense energy,
But the city is calm
In this violent sea

...and I love how Geddy sings the last two lines--

I won't miss Blender.

I just got up after 12 hours in a sleep-debt coma. I cannot ATM recall the rush lyrics referring to (paraphrasing because I can't even get this part right):

"The weight of darkness pushing down on me"

Describing a motorcycle ride.

Back