Manu Katche

S

Sticktrick

Manu is a true Groovemaster - the things he plays live with Peter Gabriel are just SICK!!

He is a master of Off-Beat Fill-Ins - listen to "In your eyes" on PGs Live Recording "Secret World Live". This is one of the best live recordings of all times and well worth checking out.

I haven´t been a Manu Fan forever, actually when I first heard him play I didn´t like his style at all. Almost all the time he holds his Sticks reversed and plays very big drumsizes he is also a quite busy drummer...

But the second look just blew me. Just so much musical taste and such a deep Groove - when I listen to him I always think: "F*** all that technichal stuff that people like Lang or Minnemann do - Manu plays the way it is ment to be!" He truly got me away from the flashy superdrummers that have great technique but nothing to say musically.

BUT I STILL LOVE STICKTRICKS!!! HAHAHA

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Manu_Katche.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I also don´t dig Manu with Sting that much - Vinnie has done that job so good, it was a perfect fit. Anyway, I prefer Peter Gabriels music and don´t care that much for Sting. i think what he did with the police was great, most things that happend afterwards I think are not that good. Now please don´t slay me for this - Its just an opinion and I know his music pretty well (I got all his records).

Yeah, I dig Manu. Check out his recording (maybe there are more) with Joe Satriani. And yes, I agree to that I didn't like his drum/cymbal sound at first, but now I love it. It's so dirty and powerfull.

I just bought "Nothing like the sun" to complete my Sting collection and so far I think it is Stins best drumming album although Summoners tales has some good spots as well.

But the second look just blew me. Just so much musical taste and such a deep Groove - when I listen to him I always think: "F*** all that technichal stuff that people like Lang or Minnemann do - Manu plays the way it is ment to be!" He truly got me away from the flashy superdrummers that have great technique but nothing to say musically.

Amen to that! I just bought "Secret World Live" on DVD. Thrilling, inspiring drumming - the intuitiveness of it is what I like the most. I've wanted to emulate that intuitiveness that I see in his playing, in Bill Bruford's and Joey Baron's playing, ever since I realized I would never be able to be a serious competitor in the technique department.

Maybe I will astonish you (because i'm french like Manu), but Manu Katché was a groovemaster.
With Sting, Gabriel, he was wonderful. But since 1 or 2 year, he's making bad TV show, not like a drummers, but like a judge for a show who name "research for the new star" (it's a translate from the french title). And you can imagine that this program not shown good music....

But it's not the problem, Katché is free to make what he want .... And may be this behavior is usual in USA for great muician, I don't know....
The real problem is that since he make this TV Show, we not ear a great Katché's drumming. In France he play with his Jazz band, but.....it's tedious !!!

So, I hope it's a bad moment for him, and I hope he return to play with true musician, like Sting....

Oh... the TV Thing doesn´t sound good at all. Still everybody is free to do what he/she wants.

Different topic:
For anybody who is interested: I just transcribed some of Manus Playing on Secret World Live and made it a PDF File. It is the two Solobreaks on "Come Talk to me". Also some of the stuff he plays on "Across the River".

I will send it to everybody interested. Maybe I can send it to Bernhard, so he can put it on along with the educational stuff on the Website. It is truely great playing and worth to be checked out - it is also not that hard, so I guess many people can benefit from it.

Greets!

Ups...

Just found out that it´s possible to upload stuff directly. So here it is. Enjoy!

I love transcribing, so if you want more, let me know. Also, please comment on how you like it.

Attachments

• Across the River.pdf
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,643
  • Manu Katche.pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,707
Still everybody is free to do what he/she wants.
Yes. But infortunately, he make the wrong choice, (it's the opinion of a lot of french musicians, not only me), and you can ear it on his jazz show.

But like you say, everybody is free to make what he want.

I also agree on the point, that I would rather like to see him play with Gabriel or Sting than in the jury of some silly TV Show (which we also have in Germany, i guess you mean Pop Idol).

But man - what he played on Secret World live is absoultely timeless and fantastic. To me it is a Drumming monument. As sayed before - every time I listen to it I think:

YES!! THIS IS THE WAY DRUMS WERE MENT TO BE PLAYED!!!

It is so intuitiv and loud and rough and... I´m missing the words. Please check out the transcriptions I made and listen - you´ll see what I mean.

Just saw Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live DVD.
Amazing....

Also own PG's "So" and Joe Satriani's "Joe Satrani"
both great albums...

Can anyone recommend some other Manu Katche albums?

The best Album to hear Manu's playing on is Joan Armatradings "Whats Inside" album.
The Drums and what he plays is just amazing... nothing wildly technical but just so innovative and tastefull..
His use of subtlety is truly inspiring and his Dark trashy Crashes in comparison with his bright Fast Splash accents has changed my veiws as far as choosing Cymbals is concerned..
He is a true individual and uses his Drums like an " Artists Palate"

Gerr

After listening to "Secret World" (will pick up DVD soon) and soon after "Soul Cages" I became a big-time Manu fan. When I found out he was again playing with Sting (in 2000, I believe) I was psyched.
I picked up the "Live at the Universal Amphiteatre" DVD and ...sadly, I've only watched it once since I bought it. Sting looks completely full of himself, more so than ever (and I love his music) and Manu looks like he'd rather...be on the French "Pop Idol" show!!! I was so dissapointed...his playing sounds...bored. The only time in the DVD that had any energy was when Manu came out front to do the French Rap in the song "Perfect Love...Gone Wrong". Other than that, I think the machine playing all the drum loops was having a better time on that stage than Manu. You can see it.
I certainly hope that Manu will start up some fresh funky drum stuff soon, so we can all copy what he's doing!!

Hi everybody... I'm going to see Manu the 31of october with his new band called "tendance" !!! I'm very happy...

Re: Other albums featuring Manu Katche

Here are a couple of albums featuring some super-tasty Manu grooves that only Manu can do:

Gloria Estefan - Unwrapped
Jan Garbarek - I Took Up the Runes, Twelve Moons, or In Praise of Dreams
Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson

The Gloria Estefan record is phenomenal, with almost every track featuring Manu at his best. Katche only gets to really rip on one or two tracks on the other albums, but they're good. You've got to listen to Robbie Robertson's track, "Somewhere Down the Crazy River," especially if you're a big fan of Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes."

And of course, Manu has a solo record and a couple of "drum clinic" type recordings produced by Zildjian that are jaw-droppingly good. "Sticks Around" is a five-track Zildjian CD, and there's a Zildjian-produced VHS video of Manu working on one of the tunes from his solo record that features Zildjian A Custom cymbals.

I have yet to find the Joan Armatrading disc, and I'm looking for a good transcription of the live version of "Red Rain" (Secret World Live) or the studio version of "In Your Eyes." If anybody knows where I can find these, please post it here--thanks!

Re: Other albums featuring Manu Katche

dchang0 said:
Here are a couple of albums featuring some super-tasty Manu grooves that only Manu can do:

Gloria Estefan - Unwrapped
Jan Garbarek - I Took Up the Runes, Twelve Moons, or In Praise of Dreams
Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson

The Gloria Estefan record is phenomenal, with almost every track featuring Manu at his best. Katche only gets to really rip on one or two tracks on the other albums, but they're good. You've got to listen to Robbie Robertson's track, "Somewhere Down the Crazy River," especially if you're a big fan of Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes."

And of course, Manu has a solo record and a couple of "drum clinic" type recordings produced by Zildjian that are jaw-droppingly good. "Sticks Around" is a five-track Zildjian CD, and there's a Zildjian-produced VHS video of Manu working on one of the tunes from his solo record that features Zildjian A Custom cymbals.

I have yet to find the Joan Armatrading disc, and I'm looking for a good transcription of the live version of "Red Rain" (Secret World Live) or the studio version of "In Your Eyes." If anybody knows where I can find these, please post it here--thanks!
Great suggestions ! I ll look into that !

There is a gem on Tears for Fears The Seeds of Love album with manu on it : Badman Song , one of the best drum track I have ever heard !
I saw a live version of that song on the knebworth concert and boy the guy who was drumming for the band a that time was billion kilometers away from Manu's studio version, I mean he was really struggling !

Back