If I Loved My Job...

JD7

1/3 as much as I loved drums, I'd be making a ton of money. I'm in IT and can get interested from time to time (maybe even a few months straight), but I'm thinking about drums most of the day. I don't watch TV anymore because I am married w/ 1 child and spend all spare time with them, various local bands that I gig and/or rec with, and I run a few miles on days that I can. The tech ppl I work with are so passionate about this stuff, but for me it often feels just like a job and nothing more. I don't play with it at home but I do force myself to study. Anyone out there feel like this?

What sort of IT work do you do?

I've discovered over the years that what I like about my job, what interests me, changes. I'm a college professor (electrical engineering) and have done a lot of programming work so I have at least a feel for where you're coming from. Find the spark and chase it. Sometimes it can be good if you can combine stuff. For example, I started a little software company many years ago to combine my programming, engineering and music backgrounds. There were some unexpected pluses. It turned out that a bunch of the work I did could be rolled back into my courses to benefit my students. Maybe you can do something similar.

If you're anything like me, you've been at it for a while, and the day to day IT work is much of the same. It's only really exciting when there's a new puzzle to figure out, or a new project wherein something needs to be designed and thought about.

Removing another virus from an idiot user's machine who thought they should click the UPS email for a package they never sent for is simply not interesting or really challenging beyond the frustration of it.

Drums on the other hand is mind-expandingly difficult to do. It uses and challenges our whole brain and all the associated limb coordination.

It's no contest, and I know exactly how you feel.

1/3 as much as I loved drums, I'd be making a ton of money. I'm in IT and can get interested from time to time (maybe even a few months straight), but I'm thinking about drums most of the day. I don't watch TV anymore because I am married w/ 1 child and spend all spare time with them, various local bands that I gig and/or rec with, and I run a few miles on days that I can. The tech ppl I work with are so passionate about this stuff, but for me it often feels just like a job and nothing more. I don't play with it at home but I do force myself to study. Anyone out there feel like this?
Welcome to the world. ;)
Have you thought about doing music full-time? Or do you already?

I totally understand about just having a job and going through the motions. I worked doing housecalls and business calls for pc and network build and repair, for several years. It wasn't very interesting or passion-inspiring after the first three months or so. Plus being on-call basically 24/7 was not enjoyable.

I've always maintained that most people who claim "I love my job" really mean "I don't hate my job that much, it allows me to maintain a decently positive attitude and I like the people I work with." To me, the ultimate test is if you won a bazillion dollar lottery tomorrow, would you continue to work at your job for free? How many people could answer 'yes' to that? Probably some musicians and other artists, maybe doctors, but I think the rest of us work because we must. As Brian says, "Welcome to the world. " I think a lot of advice given to younger people along the lines of "Do what you love and don't worry about money" is BS. We need money, that is why we work. The trick is find a job that you "don't hate that much", and that pays 'decent', whatever that means to you. If our jobs were so wonderful, we wouldn't have vacations or hobbies.
If the pay is good and the situation isn't too bad, you're pretty lucky. There are about a billion Chinese factory workers who think you are living in paradise.

I've always maintained that most people who claim "I love my job" really mean "I don't hate my job that much, it allows me to maintain a decently positive attitude and I like the people I work with." To me, the ultimate test is if you won a bazillion dollar lottery tomorrow, would you continue to work at your job for free? How many people could answer 'yes' to that? Probably some musicians and other artists, maybe doctors, but I think the rest of us work because we must. As Brian says, "Welcome to the world. " I think a lot of advice given to younger people along the lines of "Do what you love and don't worry about money" is BS. We need money, that is why we work. The trick is find a job that you "don't hate that much", and that pays 'decent', whatever that means to you. If our jobs were so wonderful, we wouldn't have vacations or hobbies.
If the pay is good and the situation isn't too bad, you're pretty lucky. There are about a billion Chinese factory workers who think you are living in paradise.

So true. This will keep me from complaining about my job ;)

I've always maintained that most people who claim "I love my job" really mean "I don't hate my job that much, it allows me to maintain a decently positive attitude and I like the people I work with." To me, the ultimate test is if you won a bazillion dollar lottery tomorrow, would you continue to work at your job for free?

It's interesting that you bring this up because sometime in the next 10 or so years I will be retiring and I have thought about what I'll be doing. I know I will miss teaching to some extent. I like my field, I enjoy certain aspects of the college environment, and some of the students are nothing short of great. I may continue to teach part time. I would never do it for free though (even if I had a bazillion dollars) simply because that would be indirectly abusing other professors (forcing wages down).

While I tend to agree with the sentiment of your final sentences, it is unfortunate that the only way that some of us can feel good is by noting that others have it worse.

Great replies here, thanks!
I played drums and toured a bit in the late 90s, and continued to do some long weekend out of town stuff until a few years ago. I think I was just complaining yesterday. I'm currently in training on a product that's really cool (Citrix Netscaler, anyone?) and I've actually enjoyed this training more than any other I've attended. I wouldn't ever think of doing this stuff for free, so it fails to meet that requirement. I will play drums for free from time to time, usually if its a favor to a friend or for a charity event. I am very lucky though - I play for 3 local bands at the moment who all do originals (maybe a cover or two for fun, but not a cover band) and get for gigs. Nothing I could support my family with, but I get to justify having 2 kits and a bunch of cymbals a little more! Sorry to complain, I just wanted to make sure I was in what's considered normal I guess.

my day job - I don't stress much at work and it is challenging at times. I don't have to deal with typical user issues because I just stay on the design and testing side for the most part. No PC repair, no printer troubleshooting... I do find myself feeling worried for not seeming to truly love this stuff like my coworkers do though, and at times I feel like that makes me a hack. I'm here for the paycheck so I can do what I really love. But my wife and kid are happy and she doesn't have to work, so I really don't have much to complain about.
Also - Netscalers are really cool! (that's me getting pumped on work).

I think the latest poll I saw was that 57% of people don't like their jobs. That is a lot. And yes it is money or benefits, which translates to money. I work at a hospital and see the numbers all day of what things cost and it is staggering. So the health benefit with a group helps. Maybe if I had spent as much time playing as working the last 40 years I would be good enough to support myself with music, who knows. I took an aptitude test in high school that suggested I be a musical forrest ranger. I am still looking for that want ad.

I think the latest poll I saw was that 57% of people don't like their jobs. That is a lot. And yes it is money or benefits, which translates to money. I work at a hospital and see the numbers all day of what things cost and it is staggering. So the health benefit with a group helps. Maybe if I had spent as much time playing as working the last 40 years I would be good enough to support myself with music, who knows. I took an aptitude test in high school that suggested I be a musical forrest ranger. I am still looking for that want ad.

wow, a musical forest ranger does sound exciting! I quit the touring/recording lifestyle when I was 22. I went to school and started in my career around 2yrs later. The thought of health insurance and steady pay was very attractive. I also found that when drumming for a living, if I had a stressful day at work I had nothing to fall back on since drumming was my passion. I know I made the right decision for me; I just need to remind myself sometimes.

If a drummer plays in the woods and no one hears him do his drums sound Good

Better still,if a male drummer says something in the woods,and there isn't a woman around,is he still wrong?:)

But more OT,The only job that I had and didn't much care for,was a NYC Corrections Officer.I worked on Rikers Island,and got butterflies in my stomach,everytime I drove over the bridge to the Island.That ,thankfully only lasted 3 years,and then the NYPD called,and I worked at a job that I loved for over 20 years.

Steve B

Better still,if a male drummer says something in the woods,and there isn't a woman around,is he still wrong?:)

But more OT,The only job that I had and didn't much care for,was a NYC Corrections Officer.I worked on Rikers Island,and got butterflies in my stomach,everytime I drove over the bridge to the Island.That ,thankfully only lasted 3 years,and then the NYPD called,and I worked at a job that I loved for over 20 years.

Steve B

The LEO's around where I grew up must do mandatory time working in the regional jail before they can be considered for police jobs. They come out worse for the wear, dis-trustful, and automatically treating people as the opposition or criminals. Seems almost like a mild form of PTSD, or something.

I now live in a different town where officers are hired directly through the department from all over. The difference is night and day. There's no "us vs them" mentality even in simple traffic stops, and they don't move around you like you are likely going to hurt them unless you do stupid things.

Did you feel your stint in the correctional facility changed you as a person?

I do find myself feeling worried for not seeming to truly love this stuff like my coworkers do though, and at times I feel like that makes me a hack. I'm here for the paycheck so I can do what I really love.

Don't worry about other people, just be sure you're okay with your situation.

It's interesting that you bring this up because sometime in the next 10 or so years I will be retiring and I have thought about what I'll be doing. I know I will miss teaching to some extent. I like my field, I enjoy certain aspects of the college environment, and some of the students are nothing short of great. I may continue to teach part time. I would never do it for free though (even if I had a bazillion dollars) simply because that would be indirectly abusing other professors (forcing wages down).

While I tend to agree with the sentiment of your final sentences, it is unfortunate that the only way that some of us can feel good is by noting that others have it worse.

I've done some teaching, I have an inkling I know what you mean. I taught a few semesters at a community college. The pay was abysmal, really I'm not sure if it covered my gas money. I viewed it as community service, sort of volunteer work with a stipend. As much as I enjoyed some aspects of it, I think I did my time.

Regarding that final sentiment, you're right it is unfortunate. I try to take a somewhat more positive spin on it by thinking that it makes me less greedy, more humble, more grateful, and more open-minded to help others who are less fortunate. I try, but I don't always succeed.

The LEO's around where I grew up must do mandatory time working in the regional jail before they can be considered for police jobs. They come out worse for the wear, dis-trustful, and automatically treating people as the opposition or criminals. Seems almost like a mild form of PTSD, or something.

I now live in a different town where officers are hired directly through the department from all over. The difference is night and day. There's no "us vs them" mentality even in simple traffic stops, and they don't move around you like you are likely going to hurt them unless you do stupid things.

Did you feel your stint in the correctional facility changed you as a person?

I did come out of that experience somewhat worse for the wear.I did grow up on the streets,in not the best neighborhood,that did have several gangs,so I wasn't without "street smarts".For the most part,you're dealing with the armpit of humanity in the jail.It turns out,even seasoned veteran CO's felt the same way.You're not armed and stuff happens all the time,as the population,except overnight,is locked out,as not in their cells, all the time.I worked in HDM,the House of Detention for Men.Block census was 240 inmates.That's 120 on each side of the block,and 1.....yes one officer to supervise 120 inmates.If they wanted to take you,which did happen on occasion,you didn't have a chance.Rikers is full of the worst and most dangerous humanity has to offer,......period.Some kill each other over a slice of cheese.

In the NYPD police academy.I was made my company sergeant, because of my previous experience in law enforcement and supervising inmates,so I was in charge of my company of 45 probationary police officers.I was also given a choice of assignments after graduation.Upon graduation everyone is assigned to a Neighborhood Stabization Unit or NSU.which is located in a precinct .You're expected to remain in field training for 6 months ,but I was transfered to a permanent command 2 months earlier due to my previous experience,as there was a manpower shortage in regular patrol precincts.By that time,I'd learned to not be as cynical as I was in Corrections,and be as even handed and fair as possible with civilians.I think I did a pretty good job of it.In general,I was human again.

But there's some cops that do adopt that us against them attitude,depending where you work.Some commands like those in the south Bronx are just hell holes,and the us against them is true for the community as well,who hate cops.

So it's a two way street.Some of that changed after 9/11 but it's come full circle again.Some people hate cops that are just doing their job,like giving out parking tickets or moving violation tickets.That's part of the job,and police superviosers require that you do that.You don't have a choice.Comply,or lose your job,benefits and pension.Besides....this is NYC,there's PLENTY of drivers who run red lights and stop signs,and just reguard them as a suggestion,and not the law.Almost everyone is in a rush to go nowhere.

My uncle Ed once told me,"if you want to serve the public,and care about what they think of you,then become a fireman,....if you don't care what they think of you,and still want to serve the public,.....become a cop."

Steve B

Last edited:
Computers and music are so overlapping these days that you might somehow be exactly where you want to be.

Of course he's wrong.....he's always wrong.......even when he's right.

As a side issue, are we allowed to call them women anymore? After reading the other thread, I can no longer be certain.

Back