To Port or not to Port...

MaryO

Platinum Member
So here's my question: I have this brand new set of Yamaha Stage Customs (as some of you may have heard ;P) and I'm just wondering if I should consider putting a port into the bass drum. My old set had a port cut into it and it's the only way I've played a set so that's all I'm used to. Now with a smaller bass (went from 22" to 20") and a brand new Pearl 900 pedal, everything is so different...better, but different....it's going to take a little getting used to a whole new feel.

So what's the advantage, disadvantage of a port? I'm not out gigging, etc so would it even do me any good? I guess I just really want to know the do's and don'ts and the when and when-not-to's of porting a bass. Either way , it's not something I would probably do for a while because I want to play the new kit as is and get used to it before making any changes but was just curious.

Thanks!

When I played a 20 I had both a full front reso and a ported one so I could go back and forth. But I prefer bass drum with no ports so I get all the bass drum goodness out of it. Having a port is better if you know you'll mic' up all the time. If not, get into the unadulterated open bass drum sound for now. Get a ported head later and then try both to see what you like.

If you port the 20, you will lose a lot. The roundness dies and you get more of a thud. Put me down for changing the stock logo head with a non ported Ambassador head of your choice (clear, white, black, etc.) They just sound better than stock heads.

If you can, I'd buy a pre ported head too, just so you can experiment, or port the existing logo head because it's a cheap head. You really have to experience the difference for yourself, on your drum, in your house, to really understand what porting will do, to your particular drum.

I was a ported guy all my life. Now I am a non ported guy. The bass is just so much fuller. I never buried the beater. With a non ported head, burying the beater...it's hard to do do, for me anyway, without getting the multiple bounce thing going on.

Ever port a tom reso head? I put a 1" hole in a 12" tom once. Totally killed the tone. Same thing on any drum.

Thanks, guys. I believe I'll be going port-less for a while. The idea of a newer, higher quality head for the bass is probably on the short list though :)

Only you could make "going portless" sound so racy Mary lol. Sorry I can't help myself.

For me, the feel of the beater is a little different with a ported resonant head. The port lets the air rush out of the drum more quickly than a non-ported head (just through the air vents), so the beater doesn't rebound off of the batter head the same.

You can port at any time, see if you can get used to not having it. Totally a feel thing(I prefer a port). Congrats on your new kit, they're beautiful, enjoy!!

I have both a ported and unported on both my 20" Gretsch and my 22" Yamaha. In general, on the 20", when I use the ported head (Aquarian Regulator with the small hole) I get a punchier sound from out front. I use the Aquarian Super Kick II for the batter. It doesn't sound as full to me behind the kit with the port, but it's the sound out front that counts. The full resonant head is a Remo Powerstroke 3. It gives me a fuller and warmer (for lack of a better word) sound. Right now my Gretsch is my practice kit and I'm digging the full head sound. If I was to use it again for gigs I would probably go back to the ported head.

On the Yamaha I ported the stock logo head but instead of just having a port I installed a Kickport. The head is like the Powerstroke in that it has the extra layer of film on the outside. My non-ported head is a Remo singly-ply head (not sure the model but I'm thinking Ambassador). It's white and came with a shield and some stick-on letters to add my initials to. Very Gene Kurpa-esque. In either case I use a felt strip front and back for muffling. Used the head with the Kickport last Friday for the first time and got many compliments about the drum sound.

....it's not something I would probably do for a while because I want to play the new kit as is and get used to it before making any changes but was just curious.

Thanks!

That's probably the best idea. Play it as-is for a while.

If you decide you want to try it later, I'd suggest doing it on a different head, and keeping the stock one intact.

I just put a new kick reso on my Keller kit and thought I'd go portless for a while just to see. I did like the sound a lot but the feel was a drag for me so I ported it after about an hour.

If you ever want it to sound good through a sound system, either port it or install a mic on a Kelly Shu mount inside.

What a piece of uneducated advice. The only reason to port or non port would be the feel of the drum and that can be polished with just a little time behind the kit. In my opinion, there is just too much to loose soundwise by porting a 20" bass drum.

Dennis

I would only use a ported head if I gigged often and had to mic the bass drum. Otherwise, I would go with a full head. This idea is not very original or unique, but that is how I roll. Peace and goodwill.

Porting for bass drum micing is myth. Was done for years without.
Don't port, especially a 20. If you do, you'll be looking for a kick drum thats kicks a**, and you will have killed it with the 4 inch hole you made.
20's have a beautiful punch and you will reduce it to a wimper with a porthole.

Hey Mary, I think you can find Yamaha logo heads on eBay pretty cheap - especially a 20. I say get one, and then put a hole in it. And try it out. You might like it, you might not. Shouldn't cost you more than $35.

I know, I said this before ;)

Hey Mary, I think you can find Yamaha logo heads on eBay pretty cheap - especially a 20. I say get one, and then put a hole in it. And try it out. You might like it, you might not. Shouldn't cost you more than $35.

This is good advice. Have one of each and pic a fave or switch back and forth every now and then just for kicks. (geddit? kicks? ... erm ... groan)

I play enough shows where the kick is mic'd and don't want to rely on a house sound guy getting anything good off an unported head. Also, I'm just lazy enough to not want to switch them around all the time. My kit does not live at home so I prefer playing it to futzing around with it when we have our little conjugal visits.

Like I said, I didn't like it when I tried it the other night, but then again, my kick's a 24" with a PS3 batter and Ambassador reso. Reso probably should have had a felt strip on it and that probably would have not only damped some of the overtones (which I don't mind), but it might have helped with the bouncy action off the batter (I often like to bury the beater). So I just did the ol' shoulder-shrug and cut a hole in it. Still has a lot of tone since there's no other dampening (though admittedly, not as much) and the action off the head is more to my liking.

Yep, good idea! May have to do that.

Playing at home just go no port, unless you like really punchy dead bass drums, then they help a bit. I ported my kit because I mic a lot and like the sound when the mic is all up in there. However I use a kickport which gives back some of the unported rebound and sound. I definitely recommend for anyone with a ported reso, though it does react differently on every drum and some get little to no benefit.

My basic advice for anyone, don't port unless you mic your gigs. If you do, try a kickport, one of the few gimmicky products I truly was impressed with, made my kit sound like 1 instrument instead of a bunch of drums.

Heck, I think I have 20 clear power stroke 3 you can have if you wanna pay shipping. Let me know. I know I'm not using it anymore....

message me with shipping and where to send the payment and that sounds like a deal! But only if you promise to autograph it before you send it :)

Back