Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin,

Quick question that I cannot find the answer to on any other website. What is the difference between counting out 5/4 and 5/8? It just seems to me that 5/8 would feel "faster" than 5/4 because of the 8th notes. For example, if you played a 5/4 groove @ 120bpm and then played a 5/8 groove at the same tempo, would there be any difference as far as "the feel" of the song being a little faster? It's probably just my ignorance of music theory.

Sorry if I didn't word this in an easily understandable fashion, but I did the best I could as to explaining my confusion between the two time sig's.

Thanks for you time Gavin
Cheers
Eric

and then played a 5/8 groove at the same tempo, would there be any difference as far as "the feel" of the song being a little faster?
The feel wouldn't necessarily be a little faster. The Sound of Muzak, for example, two 7/8 grooves, or one 7/4 groove, there's no difference, the time signature is a matter of how *you* perceive it. You can play eigth and quarter notes to both 7/8 (displaced in the second measure) and 7/4.

Fox.

Gavin:

"Flicker" is my favorite song on The Incident, and I notice the whole band got a songwriting credit for it (along with a couple of others). What can you tell us about how this song came about? Was it a jam in the studio, or what?

Thanks! Can't wait to see you guys in Atlanta next month.

- Tracey

Hey Gavin,

How does Porcupine Tree come up with the set lists for shows? Are they always the same, or do you mix them up for each show?

Hi steste50

U pay a lot of attention to the sound, so talking about the bass drum have u heard of/tried this Kickport? If so what do U think about it?

I bought one from the States when they first came out early last year. I didn't have much luck with it. I don't think it works if you've got a big pillow inside the drum.

Hi NeuroAxis

But I was just curious about the use of the terminology 'linear.' What makes it a linear fill? Is it just because it's based on the repeating sticking pattern?

Linear means that no two things are played at the same time. So it's a sequential row of notes.

Hi drumstu

I have been practicing to some of your transcriptions that have been posted and love the subtleties of your open and closed hi-hat in places. Did you have a point when you studied hi-hat techniques or did you have a method for the hi-hat that you used maybe from the Stone book or similiar?

No I didn't study anything specifically for the hi hat. I like to follow what I think are musical patterns that would suit the tune and drive the rhythm in certain ways.

Hi CareyCopelandCameron

I just ordered a ticket for your masterclass at the Sonor-Days on May 29th.
Im not really an advanced drummer,but I just had to take the chance to be part of this event,I hope this is no problem.
My second question is,I have a beautiful 14x8 Designer (Tribal-finish) and I would love to get a little signature from you on it.Do you think is is somehow possible?

If you bring the drum with you - I'll sign it. It looks like a real beast!!!!

Hi dr_flam

Beautiful snare drum! Unfortunately Sonor told me that the tribal finish was discontinued!! The set for Gavin was one of the last with this finish!! :-((

Yes I got really lucky there!

When will you come back to Italy for a drum clinic??? We are all waiting for you!! :))
I am thinking about it and looking for a gap in my busy schedule to commit to a clinic tour.

Hi Ramtin HajatDoust

Please find the attached files for sample sound of my snare drum with three Audix i5. I send them in 24b/96KHz WAV file separatly. Please combine them (I think I forgot reverse the phase of under mic).

I'll have to wait to check them when I'm back in my studio.

Hi Trains'

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...postcount=4215
Thanks.. I prbly missed that ;)
One question left .. whats it good for / would happen if it wherend there ?

the same reason anyone would set their drums up on a mat or carpet - so everything is in the right place and nothing moves whilst I'm playing it.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Quick question that I cannot find the answer to on any other website. What is the difference between counting out 5/4 and 5/8? It just seems to me that 5/8 would feel "faster" than 5/4 because of the 8th notes. For example, if you played a 5/4 groove @ 120bpm and then played a 5/8 groove at the same tempo, would there be any difference as far as "the feel" of the song being a little faster? It's probably just my ignorance of music theory.

If you played the same pattern in 5/4 and then 5/8 at the same tempo it wouldn't be "a little faster" it would be twice as fast in 5/8. Of course time signatures are just there to help you understand and perceive what is going on. The audience doesn't hear the bar lines - you could have a pattern that is five beats long but you could have it placed inside any time signature. You can of course count a piece at any rate that you feel comfortable at.

Hi tmccartney

"Flicker" is my favorite song on The Incident, What can you tell us about how this song came about? Was it a jam in the studio, or what?

yes it started as a jam.

Hi pixelbreaker

How does Porcupine Tree come up with the set lists for shows? Are they always the same, or do you mix them up for each show?

we normally have a pool of songs that we agree on before a tour - so we can rehearse those and get them up to 'performance' level. Then we work on the pace of the show and then sequence of most of the tunes. Find a good opener and a good closer to the set and then try to make some sense in the way the tunes follow each other. We do swap some songs around during the tour but a lot of the set list stays the same.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin

Will your work allow you to see the Zildjian European Tour of Steve Gadd?.
We´ve been lucky, and he´ll land at my city, Sevilla, and will see him. There is a good friend of mine, who are percussion instruments dealer here(Sonor, Zildjian, Axis, Remo...), and works hard in order to get great musicians for clinics, basically he organize every year a drummer´s day called 'DrumFest'. We´re waiting to see you playing sometime, you would be warmly welcome. Sevilla is a lovely city with: good weather, good food, beautiful women...And nasty traffic!! :))

Greetings
Gus

Last edited:
Hi Gus. you are so lucky Steve Gadd will go to your city. I´m Portuguese and i´m planning to go that clinic, but it is a bit far from where I Live.

Hi Gavin.
I want to thank you about all Information you have posted here. I missed your shows here in Portugal last year... Now I have to wait for another chance to see you playing.

I received 10 Min Ago your new DVD Rhythmic Designs, and will Study It For The next Months... Hope It Will Bring me some Ideas And Inspiration...
If I have any question I will Ask.

Carlos Ramos

Hi again,

Talking about Lewis Taylor: i personally link him to another "modern pioneer" of that kinda music i.e. Jamiroquai. Do you like what Jami does and how would U see Yerself drumming for him?

Thank You again and again,
Ste

Hey Gavin,

At 5:13 of "What Happens Now?", I can never figure out the time there. Could you elaborate on the time signature or just what you're playing there?

Hi Phil Brodermann

Hello Gavin, I noticed three cameras at the poole clinic; are you planning to release this footage?

No plans to release it - but if comes out really good I'm might put some of it on the web.

Hi Gus

Will your work allow you to see the Zildjian European Tour of Steve Gadd?.

Unfortunately I'll be touring the States when he's playing in the UK.

Hi steste50

Talking about Lewis Taylor: i personally link him to another "modern pioneer" of that kinda music i.e. Jamiroquai. Do you like what Jami does and how would U see Yerself drumming for him?

I really like Jamiroquai - I can't see myself getting the job - Derek McKenzie plays so great with the band.

Hi pixelbreaker

At 5:13 of "What Happens Now?", I can never figure out the time there. Could you elaborate on the time signature or just what you're playing there?

Thanks to Alex for the transcription. The really hard part is marking the downbeats of every fourth bar with a crash cymbal - because as you can see - the pattern resolves every three bars.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin.

First off, it was great to talk to you over the phone a few months back. I interviewed you before your Newcastle PT show in December.

I've been enjoying working with your new DVD/book/play along tracks.

Have you had any thoughts about taking the 05ric stuff out live, with a small 4-5 piece band maybe?

I'm sure there's decent audience potential out there for you.

Cheers...

Hi Gavin.
First of all, thank you very very much for your time, replying to all the questions in this thread. That's not to be taken for granted.

I have a question regarding the PT gig at the Royal Albert Hall in October.
Are you allowed to reveal some details about this special show? Will you play the incident in in it's entirety again? Please note that I don't want you to spoil all the surprises or secrets/mysteries about this gig. And of course I understand if you're not willing to/are not allowed to say anything about it.

I've never been in the Royal Albert Hall, however, I assume that it is a very beautiful venue and kind of a "prestige location". I'd like to ask if playing there is kind of "special" to you? Any special feelings about it?

Thanks in advance for your time and props to you for "Rhythmic Designs". Awesome book and DVD!

Cheers, Kevin

Gavin,

A quick question regarding your touring, I'm curious as to whether or not you have a 'rider' or not contractually and, if so, some of the specifics (a case of Evian water, ham sandwiches, etc...). Obviously this is personal and if you choose not to answer, it's understandable.

just curious.

Cheers!

Best,
Florian

Hi Gavin.
I want to ask you something about accuracy and WOA you talked before.
I know that that is Impossible that any drummer can be 100% on spot with click all times (i dream with that).
but how do you consider as a good WOA?
i record myself and when i go and analyze, normally i tend to be like 1/64 note antecipated to click. sometimes in worst parts maybe 1/32 note. can you talk more about accuracy and how to develop this. and about a good acepptabe WOA. i think half 1/64 was good. but it is hard.
What do you think and aproach about it?

Thank you

Back