John Bonham

Re: John Bonham (Bonzo)

Ever heard of this quote by Bonzo...he once said to Robert Plant

"You ARE good. But you are half as good as a singer as I am a drummer"

Comments anyone?? and please, dont point out the arrogance in this quote...he was just being honest....:)=

Lol I remember reading that quote! I don't remember if its from Stair Way To Heaven Bio, or Thunder of Drums, but john is my personal favorite and will forever live on in the world of drumming as a God.

Recently switched over to a Bonham-style 1 rack + 2 floor toms set-up, fitted with coated Remos and clears on the bottom tuned at least a whole tone above the batters. Drums sound FAT!

Still my favorite rock drummer....incredible groove, monster sound, great foot, hand speed, etc....I met his son many years ago when he was playing with Virginia Wolf....also a very good drummer.

Re: John Bonham (Bonzo)

Lol I remember reading that quote! I don't remember if its from Stair Way To Heaven Bio, or Thunder of Drums, but john is my personal favorite and will forever live on in the world of drumming as a God.
One of my favorite stories from Thunder of Drums is when Bonham would show up at the pub about 2:00am and order 50 Heineken's LOL..........only Bonham or maybe Moonie LOL

Bonzolead

Bonzo had 'feel'.

I've always looked at Physical Grafitti & Presence as influence . All Zep albums were amazing :) I just became more locked into those 2 albums as a teen .

With due respect, what calls my attention from John Bonham. It's that He never recognized and admitted that He learnt few things from Carmine Appice.

Ian Paice and Cozy Powell had admitted it.

I remember the first time I heard led zepplin about six years ago I honestly didnt like them and didnt see what was so great about Bonham. I started hearing his name pop up over and over again so I decided to check them out. I am really glad I did that. Bonham is such a great drummer with a nice powerful feel.

I just wanted too say it's been 29 yrs. ago today we sadly loss the hardest rock drummer ever. Mr. John Henry Bonham...

I'm not gonna go into a soppy post we all know how great he was and still is. I'm just having a Heineken in your honor.

God Bless,
Bonzolead

Here you can post whenever you read, see, or hear about some kind of John Lennon special coming on TV.

I heard this morning that there was a John Lennon special on TV. My boyfriend told me about it. It was real early this morning or something. Did any of you catch it?

I think you may have confused John LENNON for John BONHAM in this particular thread. The Lennon info may well be available from someone at DW, but I doubt you'll find it in this thread.

Try the 'Off Topic' threads for this question, it will draw a better response there I believe.

I've been reading 'Hammer of the Gods' every year since I was thirteen and every subsequent year that I get older, I realize what a raging a-hole Bonzo was.

It doesn't change a single thing about his total domination of the drums and after all, he was a raging alcoholic in his 20's with the world at his disposal and terminally homesick. That's gonna mess ya' up.

But yeah, the more I read about him, the less I like the dude as a person. Had good taste in drums, an ear for tuning the drums to their fullest potential, impeccable playing and probably my biggest drum hero of all time.

But yeah, wouldn't want to look in his direction at a social gathering.

Maybe he was a little too influenced by Buddy Rich...

Maybe he just missed his family and wanted to be left alone? I didn't dig through all 37 pages, but in the 15 or so I did read I didn't see any mention of How Many More Times.

Well he really liked drummers like Gene Krupa and Joe Morello. The way he tuned his toms were influenced by the sound of big band drummers that he would listen to when he was a kid. Hope this helps!

With due respect, what calls my attention from John Bonham. It's that He never recognized and admitted that He learnt few things from Carmine Appice.

Ian Paice and Cozy Powell had admitted it.

As I understand it (and I am going by a story told to me, rather than a quote from a reliable source) Bonzo heard Carmen playing and went off to replicate a fill that involved bass triplets.
(In Good Times Bad Times?)
But he didn't know that it was done with a double pedal and he did it single.
Then Carmen watched him playing and asked how he did "that" fill and Bonzo said, Well you should know I got it from you.

Dunno how badly messed up I have got that story but I'm sure he acknowledged the influence of CA.

Fellows,

Check this interesting topic regarding John Bonham. Deborah Bonham and Joan Bonham at the Classic Rock Roll Of Honour Awards.

http://www.daylife.com/topic/John_Bonham

A toast on Mr. Bonham and His Moby Dick, I am having a cup of wine - Salud!

Last edited:
Haha I liked the Good Times Bad Times part...such a loss for drumming ='( R.I.P Bonzo!

Hey I just realized you have the same quote as your signature I do!

Haha I liked the Good Times Bad Times part...such a loss for drumming ='( R.I.P Bonzo!

Que coincidencia, Tu y Yo tenemos las mismas citas, refranes de John Bonham como firmas. Saludos!

Si lo note justo cuando se publico el post xD gran coincidencia, pero es una verdad!

John Henry Bonham

The Single biggest influence on my drumming.

The Man, The Myth, The LEGEND.

No more needs be said.

JohnBonham2sm400.jpg

Back