...for the jazz cats ...

Hey, good cats and kitties, been a while. Hope everyone is having a great musical summer. About 2 weeks ago I went to Dazzle in Denver to see the Benny Green Trio. It was an amazing performance. I sat right in front of the bandstand in front of Kenny Washington. I learned a lot from watching him so close up. David Wong the Bassist was off the charts! Benny played all originals, mostly from his new album and one Standard, The Shadow of Your Smile. I had a blast! I'm going back end of the month to see one of my favorite Trumpeters Terrence Blanchard.

stay cool!

Here's one I'd be curious to know if many of you are familiar with. The Jonas Kullhammar Quartet. These guys are monsters.

In this clip they play all of Love Supreme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ySyUMIfKQ&feature=c4-overview&list=LLDCw9VYBuicvsyLRH-BUB1Q

The clip is a video of someone who has recorded it so until about :12 it's the individual setting it to play but an amazingly clear show and sound.

I was able to watch them several times in a small club at our Jazz Fest. Complete animals.

Enjoy should you decide to watch.

Here's one I'd be curious to know if many of you are familiar with. The Jonas Kullhammar Quartet. These guys are monsters.

In this clip they play all of Love Supreme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ySyUMIfKQ&feature=c4-overview&list=LLDCw9VYBuicvsyLRH-BUB1Q

The clip is a video of someone who has recorded it so until about :12 it's the individual setting it to play but an amazingly clear show and sound.

I was able to watch them several times in a small club at our Jazz Fest. Complete animals.

The drum solo half way through is one of the finest I've ever heard. Just stunning. I know 'Love Supreme' has been played to death but rarely this well, or this imaginatively. Just fantastic.

On the back of this, I'm thinking about doing some pad work and renting a rehearsal room. I haven't played properly since April (disillusioned to say the least) and whenever I listen to really fine Jazz playing, it makes me want to go straight back into it. That's what Jazz does for me - more than any other genre of music - it makes me want to play the living *$&% out of my drums. I think it's about bloody time I focussed on being a good player in one genre and I think that it's just got to be Jazz. Every bloody time I listen to something great, I want to play and I can't say that about any other form of music.

Numberless, I'm going to check out those Blade clips when I've finished listening to the LS performance. Blade is an absolute animal.

Not familiar with them but that was an amazing watch, loved every minute of it!

Thanks David. Fantastic performance - what a trip!

The drum solo half way through is one of the finest I've ever heard. Just stunning. I know 'Love Supreme' has been played to death but rarely this well, or this imaginatively. Just fantastic.

On the back of this, I'm thinking about doing some pad work and renting a rehearsal room. I haven't played properly since April (disillusioned to say the least) and whenever I listen to really fine Jazz playing, it makes me want to go straight back into it. That's what Jazz does for me - more than any other genre of music - it makes me want to play the living *$&% out of my drums. I think it's about bloody time I focussed on being a good player in one genre and I think that it's just got to be Jazz. Every bloody time I listen to something great, I want to play and I can't say that about any other form of music….

Glad you enjoyed it Duncan. I had a chance to talk with the drummer (Jonas Hollgerson) and he’s such a nice individual.

I can completely relate to your “focus” statement. About 12 years ago I had to make that same decision.

Not familiar with them but that was an amazing watch, loved every minute of it!

Thanks David. Fantastic performance - what a trip!

William and Grea – I’m glad you checked it out and enjoyed it.

…..

here's brian blade laying down some of the most beautiful drumming i've ever heard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obqnPFGERss

Brian Blade is amazing to watch. He reminds me of Billy Higgins when he plays. It’s always with so much joy.

Just curious about something...

When explaining about playing in 3 (aka "Jazz-Waltz time"), how many of you reference "My Favourite Things", when putting it in terms of an actual song?

I was explaining this to someone the other day and afterwards, I realized I have to tendency to start referencing Coltrane, whenever the subject comes up.

No big deal. Just curious.

Elvis

whats up my felines ?

quick question

on the list of tunes for a gig tonight that I am subbing on is the Martin and Blane tune The Boy Next Door

in all my years of playing jazz gigs , and thousands of tunes called I have never had this tune called

Make that two of us.... I went searching for the song and I don't even own it. Sorry, of no help on this one.

whats up my felines ?

quick question

on the list of tunes for a gig tonight that I am subbing on is the Martin and Blane tune The Boy Next Door

in all my years of playing jazz gigs , and thousands of tunes called I have never had this tune called

just curious as to how you guys would approach this tune

the piece is in 3/4 but not real "waltzy "

I have heard it approached with brushes, and approached with sticks

not sure what tempo the band leader will call it at tonight , and I'm sure in the moment I will just make it happen like I always do.

but just wondering how some of you guys would approach this tune

for the record, no vocalist tonight all instrumental

I would absolutely approach the tune completely differently with a vocalist present

you gotta love these cold call situations us jazz musicians walk into frequently right?

all but one guy on the stand tonight will be complete strangers to me .....just another night as the office

I looked and don't have it either. I had to check out Youtube. I see what you mean about approaching it differently with a vocalist.

I don't know what instruments will be on the bandstand with you but I would approach it with brushes. All the versions I heard just seemed to be a brushes type of tune.

With that said, perhaps a Paul Motian type of thing would sound cool. Lots of colors on the cymbals, not really strict time keeping back there. It might make for a nice flowing arrangement.

Just saw this, but I'm no help, either. Sorry, man. Good luck on the gig! I'm sure you'll come up with something on the spot and tear it up.

Awesome! Glad to hear it all went well.

Those kinds of nights are what most of us live for. Glad you had one.

Cool! Good to hear it all worked out.

I love those magic moments when everyone gels and some incredible music comes out.

Back