James Gadson

Hot diggity dog-great thread. James Gadsen. Love this growing song list. Now was he drumming and singing at the same time-I presume so and how the heck he do that too?

I know nothing about this, but I'd assume for the recording he did them separate. I bet he could sing it while playing tho.

I was watching a movie on Netflix, I think called Bodyguard, with some martial arts legends. Anyway on the soundtrack was a Bill Withers Aint No Sunshine but with what seemed like was an enhanced or turned up bass drum....it was freaking amazing! I kept rewinding to hear it again. That dudes bass drum was magic, the note placement, the accent placement, with his slinky hi hat and snare. It was so damn good I was hollering out in a room by myself! Had to share my Gadson bliss. Not many dudes if any Id choose over him for a funky track!

I think "Ain't No Sunshine" studio version featured Al Jackson, Jr and the Stax rhythm section.

That being said - JAMES GADSON, JR!!!!!

One of my absolute favs. "Kissing My Love" is arguably the greatest groove of all time. He played with Dyke & The Blazers, Charles Wright (Express Yourself!!), of course Bill Withers, than all the LA Motown stuff. Sorry for the wikipedia just he doesn't get enough credit!!!!! I remember reading an interview with him from Drumhead a few years ago that was really cool too.

He has a Funk/R&B vid I need to get!

I think "Ain't No Sunshine" studio version featured Al Jackson, Jr and the Stax rhythm section.

That being said - JAMES GADSON, JR!!!!!

One of my absolute favs. "Kissing My Love" is arguably the greatest groove of all time. He played with Dyke & The Blazers, Charles Wright (Express Yourself!!), of course Bill Withers, than all the LA Motown stuff. Sorry for the wikipedia just he doesn't get enough credit!!!!! I remember reading an interview with him from Drumhead a few years ago that was really cool too.

He has a Funk/R&B vid I need to get!

Absolutely right, it was Al Jackson Jnr on the studio version of Ain't No Sunshine. Gadson is one of the great funk/soul groove drummers, and his bass-drum work was so damn funky.

Gadson did play with Dyke & The Blazers. He wasn't on Funky Broadway, but he was on Let A Woman Be A Woman, Let A Man Be A Man (among others), which has the funkier drum break.

Im not sure if it was the studio version, sounded like that live version with Gadson....but not 100%. Also check out Loveland...Gadson singing and playing the drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ld-cD_TGqA

Ive linked this before, but def worth another listen, for me anyway.

Just listened to the studio version, pretty sure the version in the movie was the live Gadson version....magic

Yeah, it's Al on drums, Duck Dunn on bass, and Booker T. on keys (he produced the album for the Sussex record label), but no Steve Cropper; the guitar on that song is by Stephen Stills and/or Withers himself.

There's a great twofer CD out there that contains both of Bill Withers's first two albums ("Just As I Am" and "Still Bill"). Both albums contain excellent songs, singing, and playing--Al Jackson Jr. and Jim Keltner play on the first album, and James Gadson is on the second.

Whoah....how did I miss this post?! Thanks Icetech

This video is my everything right now.....so amazing, the stories are killer. Jimmy Smith came up and punched him in the stomach and he drew his pistol, bc he didnt know him. Now I love James Gadson even more, just humble and THAT FEEL!! Ha Cheryl Lynn..."I could have played that" lol This is an amazing 15 minutes. Icetech u da man!

Back