Head ? For New Yamaha Recording Customs

14vision

Just got my new set of Yamaha RC's today and looking for inout from those of you who have these and what head choice you are using. Are the stck pinstripes on kit actually the exact same head as the remo pinstripes or are they different?

Also not liking the extra large hold in center of bass drum head? Why on RC's is this standard?

Thanks and look forward to responses...

Doug

Just got my new set of Yamaha RC's today and looking for inout from those of you who have these and what head choice you are using. Are the stck pinstripes on kit actually the exact same head as the remo pinstripes or are they different?
As far as I know they're exactly the same, other than the fact that Yamaha's name is prominently featured on the head. My suggestion would be to either keep the Pinstripes or maybe try Ambassadors (which is what comes stock as the reso). Those are the two I seem to be jumping between lately.

Also not liking the extra large hold in center of bass drum head? Why on RC's is this standard?
I'm not sure, but my guess is that it's easier to mic up for recording. Not that you need a hole to mic a drum, that's just my best guess.

My guess is that, because those drums are "born and breed" for recording, Yamaha figured, no matter what head combo they ship those drums with, head change is "inevitable", and they're only gonna get it "right" 1 outta 20, regardless of what they ship with.​

I've owned and played 3 different yamaha RC kits. I loved them, they sound great. They are the king of birch drums IMO. I played alot of rock and commercial rock/pop with those kits. The pinstripes sound good, but I liked a more open sound. For me, the best head combo by far was a clear emperor or ambassador over a clear ambassador. At that time, I had both heads tuned to the same pitch (I now tune the bottom head higher on my DW maple kit, but the RC's sounded better to me at that time with both heads the same). Anyway, the drums sounded awesome with that head combo, with the ambassadors probably sounding a little sweeter, but not as durable for my style of playing.

I didn't dig the big hole in the center either. That was quickly changed out to a new reso head with a 4" hole at the 4 o'clock position on the head. Sounded MUCH better. Hope this helps.

I've owned and played 3 different yamaha RC kits. I loved them, they sound great. They are the king of birch drums IMO. I played alot of rock and commercial rock/pop with those kits. The pinstripes sound good, but I liked a more open sound. For me, the best head combo by far was a clear emperor or ambassador over a clear ambassador. At that time, I had both heads tuned to the same pitch (I now tune the bottom head higher on my DW maple kit, but the RC's sounded better to me at that time with both heads the same). Anyway, the drums sounded awesome with that head combo, with the ambassadors probably sounding a little sweeter, but not as durable for my style of playing.

I didn't dig the big hole in the center either. That was quickly changed out to a new reso head with a 4" hole at the 4 o'clock position on the head. Sounded MUCH better. Hope this helps.

Great input thanks...

Back