Gretsch Catalina Maple :]

CptHowdy

I love this kit so much, has a ton of raw power and is very warm and punchy.

Here are the specs first"
Heads: Evans EC2 Coated on the toms and floor toms, Evans GMAD on the bass drum, and Evans EC2 Coated Reverse Power Dot on the snare. All resonant heads are stock for now.

Cymbals: 14" Meinl HCS Hi-Hats, 16" and 18" Zildjian ZXT Crash's, 10" Sabian Xs20 Splash, 7" Stagg Black Metal Bell, 20" Paiste Alpha Metal Ride, 14" Wuhan China, 18" Zildjian True China

Pedals: Iron Cobra Power Stroke with Gibraltar Felt Beaters

Hardware: Just Various things ive found around, i dont even know what half of it is or who makes it haha. Pearl Rack

60902_1413415371881_1127456907_31007262_286987_n.jpg

59070_1413415571886_1127456907_31007263_4754027_n.jpg

59070_1413415611887_1127456907_31007264_3307262_n.jpg

59070_1413415651888_1127456907_31007265_2094995_n.jpg

62493_1413415851893_1127456907_31007266_6577989_n.jpg

And just in case you want to hear and audio sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdMNWGRGGD0

Is that a water heater in the back, behind your left shoulder?

If it is you should really move your kit. If that thing springs a leak your BD is toast.

Is that a water heater in the back, behind your left shoulder?

If it is you should really move your kit. If that thing springs a leak your BD is toast.

Haha, no that would be my dresser. I wish i could move it, but that is the only spot it fits with out being in the way. (my room is tiny)

This is a little off topic, but the Gretsch Catalina series is priced around like a Pearl Export EX, so it is similar quality, or is it nicer/more professional?

I have a gretsch cat map, and my school has an EX.
With the right heads they sound good both, but there is something in the sound of my kit that I like, but I can't say what it is.

Ex are made of poplar, catalina maple is maple of course.

Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking the thread, but while were on the subject.....if I already have a Pearl Ex, is there any point in getting a Gretsch Catalina (probably the jazz) Kit?

Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking the thread, but while were on the subject.....if I already have a Pearl Ex, is there any point in getting a Gretsch Catalina (probably the jazz) Kit?

Many will tell you they are on a par. I dispute it. I've owned Exports....the Cats (at least the maples....I have no experience with the jazz) are far superior sounding to the earlier Exports at any rate.

I sold an early 90's Export in order to make room for the Cat maples......I decision I don't regret at all.

Very nice looking kit and I like how the rack toms are not quite in the traditional over-the-bass-drum position, but not quite fully offset to the left either.

I do think the big black rack is distracting. I would go with stands. I have piled three cymbals and two toms on a stand before with no problems.

I got a Catalina Maple on Monday.
And im lovin' it.
WAYYY better than the Exports even with stock heads. (Export with EC2's)

Haha, no that would be my dresser. I wish i could move it, but that is the only spot it fits with out being in the way. (my room is tiny)

I think he means in the video, behind your left shoulder at the end of the shelf. Looks like ye olde water heater.

I think he means in the video, behind your left shoulder at the end of the shelf. Looks like ye olde water heater.

O yea, that was a water heater haha, but my kit is no longer in that garage, the band i was with practiced there and i recently quit due to band members slaking and avoiding practice.

Very nice looking kit and I like how the rack toms are not quite in the traditional over-the-bass-drum position, but not quite fully offset to the left either.

I do think the big black rack is distracting. I would go with stands. I have piled three cymbals and two toms on a stand before with no problems.

Yea i agree, the pearl rack is a little to much for what i want, i'd like a nice small Gibraltar rack, just to keep things the same way but not to be so large. I had stands for a little while and i just got tired of not having the versatility that i have with a rack, im sure my mind will change one day though.

Back