What are the best "Black Drum Heads" in your opinion?

Ex Nihilo

Hello, I am looking to get Black Drum Heads for all my Toms, "10, 12, 13, 16" and my Bass Drum "22". I have been looking at the "Onyx by Evans" and the "Black Suede by Remo". What do you recommend or suggest I should get? (does not have to be what I listed)

Thanks.

PS: I like thumpy, punch, drum sounding drum heads with no ring to them.

Why do they have to be black? Are you willing to suffer sound quality for appearance? If you're into dead-sounding drums, you'll change your mind the minute you gig without any microphones - believe me.

For a balanced sound, then your best bet is two-ply over single-ply. G2s over G1s or Emperors over Ambassadors. They're standard heads for a deep sound and with a little time and patience will work wonders on many drums.

I would go with remo ebony's. But only because I loved the sound and feel of the pinstripes when I finger tested them lol. And they should also be exactly what you're looking for.

I just finished replacing my EC2's with black suede emperors not more than an hour ago. After a quick tuning I'm very happy with the sound. I feel that they're a bit warmer than a clear G2/Emperor but not quite as muffled as the equivalent coated head. They're definely more resonant than the EC2, I wasn't unhappy with the tone of the EC2, rather the plasticky attack they have. I tried the Onyx on my 12" tom and it sounded pretty dead. If memory serves me correct, those are pretty thick heads. Is the black suede emperor the best black head? It is for me at the moment. BTW, I have the suedes on my Saturn kit with G1's as resos. I was trying to steer clear of coated head for the simple fact that I love the look of the inside of the Saturn shells. But in the end, sound is what matters and the black suedes offer me a nice compromise between a clear and coated head. If your looking for a really muffled dark sound than the Onyx would be a good fit IMO.

Hello, I am looking to get Black Drum Heads for all my Toms, "10, 12, 13, 16" and my Bass Drum "22". I have been looking at the "Onyx by Evans" and the "Black Suede by Remo". What do you recommend or suggest I should get? (does not have to be what I listed)

Thanks.

PS: I like thumpy, punch, drum sounding drum heads with no ring to them.

If you like thick, punchy toms I'd go with Remo Ebony Pinstripes as well. I have them on my toms and they sound great. A great tone but with almost most no ring at all, and a nice black look with a thin white circle at the edge.

If you like thick, punchy toms I'd go with Remo Ebony Pinstripes as well. I have them on my toms and they sound great. A great tone but with almost most no ring at all, and a nice black look with a thin white circle at the edge.
Thanks man and everyone else 2! Are they 2 ply?

Back