What Genre... Help required?

Dozza

Hey all,
I should probably post here more, but I need some help now
Basically, at band practice the other day, we got into a heated discussion, about what genre we actually are.
We started out, trying to be Ska-Punk, but it didnt really happen that way, I dont think anyways.
So, could you guys do me a favour, listen to a track on our myspace (or, a bit of one), and then say what genre you think we are, and solve this debate.
The myspace is www.myspace.com/samurailawnparty

Thanks
Adam

Ska punk sounds about right to me (although not at the typical breakneck ska speed), but why this need to define yourself? Create the music you want to create, and let others worry about defining what you are to them.

Hmmm, I can see why you're confused. Rock guitar, US teen rock structure, new wave drum grooves with rock fills, punk/ska vocals & synths from another planet. You are what you are. Don't pigeon hole your band, just enjoy it for what it is.

I'm not desperate to define ourselves, I just thought after a debate, would be cool to get a couple of other opinions.
Thanks alot though, nice to get feedback

Pop Rock.

While, yes, I hear influences from both Ska and Punk, as you've mentioned - what you guys are doing here isn't (imo), either, but more of a rock band with pop sensibilities that draws influence from varied genres.

As others have said, don't concern yourself so much with what you want to be identified as, just focus on music you enjoy writing and have fun playing it live.

Back