Any tips on putting my set back together?

Warlok

I took my new (to me) Pearl Export set apart to deep clean and put all new heads on. It's all clean and ready to go back together. I have done some things but is there anything else I should do as I build? Any tips would be useful to make it sound as good as possible.. Here's what I have so far..
Sanded all the bearing edges perfectly smooth (500 grit)
Tightened all lugs and hardware in shells
Got stainless washers for all tension rods
Going to barely oil the tension rods threads as I install
Verified all hoops/rims are straight and in good shape
Lubed all hinge points on pedals

Anything else before I get at it?
Thanks in advance.

Say "thank you me" and go have some fun. How do they sound after the bearing edge sanding??

Heads coming ups tonight so I'll be putting it all back together tomorrow. I'll let you know then.

Sounds very thorough! Nice prep work!

I would consider using Vaseline for the tension rods instead of oil. It's less messy and tends to last longer.

I just dip the non-key end of each tension rod slightly into the container of Vaseline, and then proceed to install the tension rod as normal. It always works well for me.

I like to use a little white lithium grease or 3 in 1 on the tension rods.

Other than that, you're good to go. Tune it up and have yourself some fun.

What part of AZ are you in? Phoenix drummer here, there are a few of us on the forum.

Got the heads and ran into a question. On the bass drum hoops, there is a squared edge and a rounded edge. I assume it goes on squared edge to the head and rounded edge out, right??

And thanks for the suggestions on oil. I'm in Casa Grande (south of phoenix).

Got the head and ran into a question. On the bass drum hoops, there is a squared edge and a rounded edge. I assume it goes on squared edge to the head and rounded edge out, right??

Got the head and ran into a question. On the bass drum hoops, there is a squared edge and a rounded edge. I assume it goes on squared edge to the head and rounded edge out, right??

Yes, that's right!

You might want to take one lug off to see if it has a spring inside. These springs often rattle and 'boing' when you strike the drum. A cotton ball inside the lug stops the vibrations. If the lugs are springless, then there's nothing to do.

Cool. Thanks.
You might want to take one lug off to see if it has a spring inside. These springs often rattle and 'boing' when you strike the drum. A cotton ball inside the lug stops the vibrations. If the lugs are springless, then there's nothing to do.
There's no Springs in the lugs. That's a great tip though. Thanks!

If there are any soft rubber lug gaskets between the lug and the shell...I always remove them. Why? Drums sound noticeably better without soft lug gaskets. If the lug gaskets are hard plastic, that's probably OK, but if they're soft, take them off.

I use finishing wax on the bearing edges if they haven't been done in a while.

+1 especially after you sanded them. Also, you should have pulled the lugs and cleaned them. When you put it back together, set up forall the toms/FTs reso side up and head and tune them together. Then flip them and do the same with the batters.

You can rub a (white) candle around the bearing edge. Even the inside of a tea light candle will do. Seals the wood and helps the head slide smoothly as it gets tightened.

I like to use a little white lithium grease or 3 in 1 on the tension rods.

Other than that, you're good to go. Tune it up and have yourself some fun.

What part of AZ are you in? Phoenix drummer here, there are a few of us on the forum.

+1 on the white lithium grease

I have a different approach to t-rods and receivers. Most lubricants tend to attract dirt over time (some can even break down). I clean the receivers of dirt and lubricant using a stiff nylon brush w/very soapy water, dry thoroughly, then run a 12/24 tap through to remove any burrs. I also use a stiff brush to clean off the t-rods as well. After this process, the t-rods will turn nice and easy in the receivers, and you don't get dirt and grease on your hands & other surfaces every time you change a head.

I hadn't had a chance to get back on here and missed the wax on the bearing edges so I didn't do that. I just used a tiny bit of very light oil I had in the garage (same as 3 in 1) on the T-rods. I get not looking to attract dust but the old chrome on the threads was a bit rough so definitely wanted something to help turn smooth. They worked fine. Got them tuned up starting with a Tama Tension Watch (which is now broken.. Boooo!!) and then by ear to what sounds good to me). I'm pretty happy. Now I just need to learn to play.. lol
I'm gonna start another thread with pics to see if anyone can identify year, model, etc. Thanks all for the help!!

+1 on the waxed bearing edges, changed the game for me. Tuning and overall sound is insanely better! Paraffin wax, candle wax, I even use wax paper and rub the bearing edges/drum heads, such a simple task that yields huge results.

Back