Which Coated heads on Mapex Saturn?

My heads sound good currently, but I just don't really like the plastic feel to them...i am thinking of trying some coated heads on my saturn.

I currently switch between the Response 2's and Clear Studio X's...

Are the coated heads going to be warmer? I kinda like my toms to resonate, so maybe a coated 1ply???

yes, especially 1-ply coated heads will sound very warm, you won`t have this plastic feel anymore. a 1-ply head sound very very open and resonates very good, but durability isn`t as good as with 2-ply heads.
what music style do you like to play?

Karl

I play Grunge Rock mixed with Modern Rock...single bass type music...

I, for myself if I'd have a Saturn, I'd definitely go with the satin finish texture coated. Yes coated heads add warm to the sound.

mind_drummer said:
I, for myself if I'd have a Saturn, I'd definitely go with the satin finish texture coated. Yes coated heads add warm to the sound.

What an example of a satin finish texture coated?? Can you provide some suggestions as to what you are recommending?

maximusppl said:
What an example of a satin finish texture coated?? Can you provide some suggestions as to what you are recommending?

Since Saturn has a sound of it's own, you want to let the drums to sing it's character, it's why a good single ply head which is little bit thicker (just little bit) than standard single ply medium weight head (just enough muffling to get a good tone and resonance) is the head of choice.

The heads I'm talking about are those who are called satin finish texture coated http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/products/display.asp?id=7

I love them...

Awesome, I currently have Coated Studio X's and they sound good, but I want to try the satin finish ones that you recommended. And yes, my saturn sounds great when hit hard and when it sings!!!

The Aquarian TC's are indeed a great skin.

With the Saturn having such a thin shell, Id steer away from 2-ply, even though the durability may be better.

Open those babies up! Im using TC's on my kit and they rock.

The Aquarian TC's are indeed a great skin.

With the Saturn having such a thin shell, Id steer away from 2-ply, even though the durability may be better.

Open those babies up! Im using TC's on my kit and they rock.

actually, I've just been tuning up a saturn kit at a college I worked for and I must say that with G2 coateds on it, it sounds better than the Orion does next door! The saturn is so thin-shelled, I think the 2ply head does a really good job of bringing the ring (caused by the resonance of a thin shell) down to being perfect. With single ply heads on before, they were a little too open and ringy, a bit uncontrollable. Now they still sing beautifully, but just a little more controlled. Plus, I think the durability of a 2ply head is important unless you're loaded, I'd never stick anything 1-ply on my gigging kit because it's expensive enough as it is to play drums!

actually, I've just been tuning up a saturn kit at a college I worked for and I must say that with G2 coateds on it, it sounds better than the Orion does next door! The saturn is so thin-shelled, I think the 2ply head does a really good job of bringing the ring (caused by the resonance of a thin shell) down to being perfect. With single ply heads on before, they were a little too open and ringy, a bit uncontrollable. Now they still sing beautifully, but just a little more controlled. Plus, I think the durability of a 2ply head is important unless you're loaded, I'd never stick anything 1-ply on my gigging kit because it's expensive enough as it is to play drums!

I have to agree here.
My Delites are also very thin-shelled (4mm) and everyone in the Sonor camp says to use nothing but single ply to let the shells "sing". But, I find that single ply's are just a bit too resonant on a shell this thin, and double-ply's (depending on which ones) give it just the right amount of "taming".
The coated G2's sound great on the Delites, but also the Aquarian clear Response 2's are nice also
Phil

If it were me Id still go single ply, and dampen if necessary.

Thinner shelled kits need all the projection they can get and the single ply gives me a lower fatter sound than any two ply head has ever done. Yeah, it costs me a little more, but for me its sound before saving. :)

You know, I tried the clear Aquarian Studio X's on there, and that produced the best sound i think. It's just that the clear heads were a bit too plasticy for me, so currently I am using the coated versions and they are good, I am just wondering what is the best for this type of kit...I like my drums to sing but i also like them to have the right amount of sustain as well....

If it were me Id still go single ply, and dampen if necessary.

Thinner shelled kits need all the projection they can get and the single ply gives me a lower fatter sound than any two ply head has ever done. Yeah, it costs me a little more, but for me its sound before saving. :)

need projection? The saturn I was playing was the loudest, most cutting kit I've ever played! I'd be more bothered about taming that beast!

I am going to try the coated G2's tonight on my 13'' tom that I don't use....hopefully it will give me that sound I am looking for with the right amount of tone and resonance...

Coated G2's sound great, and are very versitile for almost all kins of music. They come highly recommended for most things around the forum.

So I put on the coated G2s on my 13x10 tom the other day to see if i like it, and it still resonates a bit too much, even more so than my aquarian single ply heads did...i am still using the Aquarian Classic Clears on the resonant side, so that may be the problem...will it be better if i put some clear G1s on the resonant side?

Help

As far as I am aware, Classic Clears are a very similar head to a clear G1.

One way to cut down the resonance a bit more you could move to coated resonants as well as batters; i.e. coated G2's over coated G1's.
Another option would be to try something like a coated EC2 on the batter.
Just don't use pinstripes or hydraulics.

Biz

well I must say I took off the stock heads because of a little too much ring and put on Evans Genera G2 coated's and they are wayyyy to dead sounding..Even my guitar player has noticed and says they do not sound that musical and I agree. I have tried all sorts of tuning tensions and nothing really works with these heads.

I have the stock remo weatherking ambassadors on the reso's.

I Played a gig a few weeks ago and the guy had a cheap Rogers kit all set up already with aquarian heads and it sounded way better than my saturn. I am a little disappointed here.. I guess I will try some 1-ply heads but so far with the exception of hardware my saturns sound has been disappointing. Starting to think I should have went with all maple or all Birch rather than mixing woods.. well see but if I trade em in or sell em I am gonna get soaked.

well I must say I took off the stock heads because of a little too much ring and put on Evans Genera G2 coated's and they are wayyyy to dead sounding..Even my guitar player has noticed and says they do not sound that musical and I agree. I have tried all sorts of tuning tensions and nothing really works with these heads.

I have the stock remo weatherking ambassadors on the reso's.

I have to disagree here.. I know the G2s don't have an much ring as single ply heads but they are FARRRRRRR away from "dead sounding"

I have a feeling the problem is the stock remo's because the reso too me is what controls much of the "openess" of the sound

Back