Evans EMAD

liamc

I'm getting a new batter head for my bass drum and was thinking about the Evans EMAD series. I'm not sure whether to get the GMAD, EMAD , EMAD2 , or EMAD Onyx. I play a lot of styles mostly rock, metal and jazz. Sometimes I use a double bass pedal.

Out of all of them, I personally find that the Emad 2 is the best bass drum head, It brings out all of the characteristics that I want in a bass drum, a control of punch and resonance...best head out there for sure!

George.

Been playing both EMAD AND EMAD2. I like the original EMAD single ply. The EMAD2 was a little too dead sounding to me. You can always muffle a single ply but the 2ply will always be a 2ply and if it is too dead sounding to you, you don't have many options on making it sound like a single ply.

I personally hate the EMAD. I found I had to tune it up fairly high (for a bass drum) to get anything other than a reeeeally dead, flat sounding plastic bass drum sound. I'd suggest getting a Remo Powerstroke 3.

-Jonathan

I like the Emad 2 for general purpose playing & recording with a full reso head. I get all the sustain & tone I need from the reso. For live playing with the bass drum mic'd, I prefer Emad, as it gives back the resonance lost by the reso port. I find Emad 2 generally give a fatter sound than Emad. All my observations are based on no additional muffling.

Given the wide variety of styles that you're playing, I'd recommend the GMAD. It's still a single-ply head but with added durability of the 12mil film (vs. the 10mil for the EMAD). You can crank it for a Bop/Jazz sound or take it down low for a deep rock sound.

Cheers!

I like the original single ply EMAD. I have the EMAD2 at the moment, but I think they have over done it this time. I've used the EMAD Onyx before and this was my favourite. Deep, dark punchy sound... I loved it. But, seeing as it is a coated head, and the abuse that they take, the coating starts coming off around the centre of the heads and works it's way out. I had that on for a total of 8 months and it held up really well... Like all EMADs do...

Been playing both EMAD AND EMAD2. I like the original EMAD single ply. The EMAD2 was a little too dead sounding to me. You can always muffle a single ply but the 2ply will always be a 2ply and if it is too dead sounding to you, you don't have many options on making it sound like a single ply.

I agreee with this, put an EMAD with any reso head and it's going to sound amazing...

i personally love this combo :

1.-EMAD clear
2.-EQ3 reso
3.-EQ pad

1.-EMAD clear
2.-EQ3 reso
3.-EQ pad

This is a good setup. Its basically what I have (stock reso with control ring and GMAD).
The EQ Pads are great and well worth the $22!. No pillows or laundry.

I havent tried all the Emads but I have the GMAD and its great. Nice low and punchy.
I have a feeling it will look new for ever given the 12mil film and the 2 Remo Falam Slam patches on it.

emad006.jpg

I bought the EMAD2 and personally don't like it...
I find the muffling ring constantly falls out of the hoop while playing (even within the first 20 minutes of playing the head).
I find the sound is great but the fact that the muffling ring constantly falls out makes me feel like I've wasted my money...
Anyone else had this problem?

As always, it depends on the sound you're looking for. I like the EMAD in general because of the external muffling options, and I can play the kick wide open. But I really like the coated EMAD, which has an old school vibe for classic rock, oldies, Motown, blues, etc. And it's easy enough to put a pillow inside for a nice click & thump when desired. I have coated EMADs on most of my 20 kick drums... they don't make them for 26" :(

i personally love this combo :

1.-EMAD clear
2.-EQ3 reso
3.-EQ pad

I also use the EQ3 reso on most kicks, it's a great combination with either EMAD!

Bermuda

I bought the EMAD2 and personally don't like it...
I find the muffling ring constantly falls out of the hoop while playing (even within the first 20 minutes of playing the head).
I find the sound is great but the fact that the muffling ring constantly falls out makes me feel like I've wasted my money...
Anyone else had this problem?

I've heard of the tray coming loose, although that hasn't happened to me. Evans does recommend pressing on the tray after the head is mounted to help it adhere (there's a note included with each EMAD head.) I even had a tray crack after prolonged use on the road, but since the drum was padded-up anyway, I really didn't need the EMAD on it.

Never heard of the ring falling out though. Considering that it's a little bit of a squeeze just to get it in, it's hard to imagine it sagging or dropping out altogether.

Bermuda

I use an EMAD2 and I have never had the muffling ring fall out. I have used both of the rings included with the head and have never had any problem. Bermuda is right, it does take some finesse just to get it into the tray, and I don't know how it could just fall out.

I've been using Emad's for years now and I've only ever had one ring tray crack out on me...and I assume that was from wear and tear from playing in all types of weather ( I gig alot!) I use the narrow foam ring and when I first put it on the drum I press 'round the outer circumference of the ring to make sure it's firmly attached to the head. There used to be an instruction sheet that came with it telling you to do that, but I'm not sure if it still does. I use a single ply batter head and a DW gig pillow inside and I've been loving that sound for years.

Totally agree with this.

Back