Snare wires

I keep killing my snare wires. I had some Tama ones on there (judging by the fact it said Star Classic on the logo I'd guess that they usually come with those drums) and a few days ago they started with this horrid screeching sound. I took them off, checked my tuning, put them back on, tried to make the as straight as possible, but no matter what, the snares either sound like a paper bag or a dying cat. I cut off the ones that looked very damaged and it helped a tiny bit.

Any suggestions on more durable wires? I don't think tuning is the issue, it could be my strainer. Being a UMC snare I don't even know where to begin finding parts to fix it.

You say that you "keep" killing your snare wires. How often does this happen and what different wires have you tried? Most companies make different wires in terms of quality, such as Tama, Pearl and Puresound. Do you hear that screeching noise when the throw off is engaged or just when playing the drum? Is your snare head (resonant head) scratched or shows signs of damage? How tight do you have your wires?

Dennis

I had stock wires and then the Tama's "Snappy" I think, sorry I don't remember. So only twice but I JUST replaced these about 2 months ago. I keep my snares on the tight side, my reso looks fine and there is an overtone in that pitch when I hit the drum with the snare disengaged, but very minor. The heads are fairly new (2 months) and as I said, it sounded fine until a few days ago.

The snare drum itself sounds good it's just the snares. I admit, the strainer and butt are both pretty messed up but hey, the set was used, at least it came with the snare.

hello guys, i have a couple of questions about snare wires.

1. i got on an idea of making my own cords for snare drum wires. not traps, cords. problem is that i really don't know from which material i should make them. any suggestions?
2. how often do you change your snare wires? i mean, how do you recognize when it is streched? by different sound of snare drum?

thanks in advance for your answers!

Back