Billy Ward here!

Re: I'm here! - Billy Ward

billy ward said:
thanks for the compliments!

kzdruma- Inside Out is the only book I've written (and may be the last!) :D

But I'm proud of it and grateful Modern Drummer wanted me to do it.

thanks

what's a Lingenfelter Twin Turbo? airplane engine???

haha... you'd think so. It's a Corvette engine. They used one to get a vette over 200mph.

hey Nutha!... I listened to your clip. you sound great. less mics is always cool and less risky (if you sound great on your own as you do)

That guitar player needs to get some time going though... whew!.. that's rough... I do understand that it is live though... and given the wrong tape at the wrong time... maybe it could be any of us! I hope he is aware of how lame his groove was there- if not.. you've got a rough road ahead of you!

i think he's pretty good but then he is the singer as well so credit where it is due...we are looking for a good guitarist to fill out a bit more...preferably one that doesn't differentiate between lead and rhythm guitaring...maybe brian may isn't too busy. thanks very much for the review. i didn't know i was being recorded at the time. sometimes that's the best because i sometimes concentrate on the recording when i am being recorded instead of the drums and the audience (if that makes any sense?)

j

Last edited:

Hi Billy. I just had a quick question. BTW i've read many of your articles and find them very insightful. Also seeing you play is inspiring with the cool ideas you come up with..ie shakers in the feet.

Anyways, I've been playing around with the idea of putting together an actual solo. I've never done this before. I can play alot of different kind of fills. But my question is what is the best way to link them all together to make a powerful solo. I know there isnt a secret recipe, but in your experience what kind of solo do people like to hear that keeps them intereseted?

Billy's got some great ideas for coming up with ideas on his new DVD -BIG TIME.

I would recommend it, for anybody wanting to take their playing to new and exciting levels!

Yes Dr. Whoo - you not only bought the DVD - you really developped into Billy (like me with Steve...lol)

Bernhard

Attachments

• billywardlookalike.jpg
    billywardlookalike.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,073

billy's long lost brother.
i ve been told i look like lee evans or ron welty (off spring's drummer) sheesh...lee evans?
j
ps: sorry to go a bit off topic here.
ron3.jpg

Hi Billy, just wanted to say hi and to let you know that I watched your DVD at the weekend (I've seen it before, but last night I watched it on my own in peace without my girlfriend or flat mate chatting and interfering!)
Just wanted to let you know that you've really inspired me to try a lot of things and have been like a breath of fresh air. My practice playing etc was getting a bit stagnant but the last few days I've been practicing like a man possessed, and more importantly, loving every minute of it.
So thanks!

I'm thinking of getting an x-hat and playing around with some ride cymbal/china combos too.. looking forward to it!

cheers!
Dan

Rosco said:
Hi Billy, just wanted to say hi and to let you know that I watched your DVD at the weekend (I've seen it before, but last night I watched it on my own in peace without my girlfriend or flat mate chatting and interfering!)
Just wanted to let you know that you've really inspired me to try a lot of things and have been like a breath of fresh air. My practice playing etc was getting a bit stagnant but the last few days I've been practicing like a man possessed, and more importantly, loving every minute of it.
So thanks!

I'm thinking of getting an x-hat and playing around with some ride cymbal/china combos too.. looking forward to it!

cheers!
Dan

COOL! THANKS! and for some reason I need twenty characters for this to post - so here goes......
That should be enough!
Billy

And why haven't i noticed that BILLY WARD! is here. Man it's awesome to see that there's pros here. Awesome stuff Mr. Ward.

Billy,

Thank you for giving us some of your time. It is highly appreciated. I wanted to ask how important proper breathing is when playing drums? Athletes have certain breathing techniques and I believe that us drummers could benefit from that too. Would you have any insights on this?

Thank you for all your hard work, dedication and generousity to the art of drumming.

bouncingdude said:
Billy,

Thank you for giving us some of your time. It is highly appreciated. I wanted to ask how important proper breathing is when playing drums? Athletes have certain breathing techniques and I believe that us drummers could benefit from that too. Would you have any insights on this?

Thank you for all your hard work, dedication and generousity to the art of drumming.

Hi bouncing - thanks. breathing is obviously important- and is an obvious aid to the groove... or else it could be a sign that things aren't going too well!Q :D

i discuss this in my DVD, Big Time. I hope you get to see it!!

BrokenGlass said:
Hi Billy. I just had a quick question. BTW i've read many of your articles and find them very insightful. Also seeing you play is inspiring with the cool ideas you come up with..ie shakers in the feet.

Anyways, I've been playing around with the idea of putting together an actual solo. I've never done this before. I can play alot of different kind of fills. But my question is what is the best way to link them all together to make a powerful solo. I know there isnt a secret recipe, but in your experience what kind of solo do people like to hear that keeps them intereseted?

might not have seen my question just wanted to bring it to your attention.

BrokenGlass said:
might not have seen my question just wanted to bring it to your attention.

Hiya BG -
I must've seen it and tried to act like I DIDN'T see it! :D
You see... I am really not very good at drum solos - I am (of course) fussy with myself - I mean, regarding judging my own playing - I am harsh. Drum solos are mostly not too interesting to me. Someday I hope to get some solos going. There is a Drum solo specialized issue coming out in Modern Drummer soon - maybe that will shed some light on the topic???

Until the time at which I can be interested long enough to keep playing by myself - - i will continue to lean into what the others are doing to inspire me.
Wish I could've helped you - my apologies,
Billy

billy ward said:
thanks for the compliments!

kzdruma- Inside Out is the only book I've written (and may be the last!) :D

But I'm proud of it and grateful Modern Drummer wanted me to do it.

thanks

what's a Lingenfelter Twin Turbo? airplane engine???

It is a Corvette that is twin turbocharged by Lingenfelter performance engineering of Decatur, Indiana! My 2 vices are drums and Corvettes! My LPE car is a 2000 Corvette Convertible-520hp! I really enjoy your articles in Modern Drummer. Keep up the great work.
Steve

Lingenfelter Twin Turbo said:
It is a Corvette that is twin turbocharged by Lingenfelter performance engineering of Decatur, Indiana! My 2 vices are drums and Corvettes! My LPE car is a 2000 Corvette Convertible-520hp! I really enjoy your articles in Modern Drummer. Keep up the great work.
Steve

Thanks Steve - Man, this Vette thing is almost a cul among somet! Actually makes sense.. the guitar player / composer of this trio jazzy record I just made (will be out in a few months) is a vette freakazoid!
gonna be a nice record BTW -

I wouldn't mind a day or two with a Vette - livin' large....
Mmmmmm

billy ward said:
Thanks Steve - Man, this Vette thing is almost a cul among somet! Actually makes sense.. the guitar player / composer of this trio jazzy record I just made (will be out in a few months) is a vette freakazoid!
gonna be a nice record BTW -

I wouldn't mind a day or two with a Vette - livin' large....
Mmmmmm

You are more than welcome to stay with my family ANYTIME in Birmingham, Alabama!
I will even let you drive the Corvette. But that will cost you a drum lesson. Let us know when the record comes out. I would love to pick up a copy.
Steve

Back